Main Menu

Flashpoint Campaigns

Started by jomni, April 12, 2013, 08:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni


Bison


Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

solops

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm just got a big and final update. I am surprised this title does not get more traffic in these forums. Does anyone play? I have had the game for a couple of years but have never jumped in due to time considerations and lack of chatter to push me into it.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Barthheart

OJsDad and myself spent last winter going through all the 2 player scenarios. Great fun.

Capn Darwin

The vast majority of traffic is on the Matrix forum and over on the Steam forums. May be more traffic next year when Southern Storm comes out.  :bd:
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Jarhead0331

We had a 90+ page thread that was derailed by Hermann Hum and his three friends.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on September 05, 2017, 10:23:00 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 05, 2017, 10:20:20 AM
Hermann Hum and his three friends.



In all fairness, if I recall correctly, most of the 90 pages were from Hermann posting about inconsequential or imagined bugs.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


RyanE

I think you need to be more specific.  Because it seems every thread HH is involved can be described that way.

mirth

Stop invoking his name or he'll appear!  :o
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on September 05, 2017, 10:42:31 AM
Stop invoking his name or he'll appear!  :o

Nah. He's perma-banned.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

I thought he only derailed the Command Modern Naval thread with his screaming about why it wasn't as good as harpoon
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

OJsDad

Quote from: solops on September 05, 2017, 09:53:33 AM
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm just got a big and final update. I am surprised this title does not get more traffic in these forums. Does anyone play? I have had the game for a couple of years but have never jumped in due to time considerations and lack of chatter to push me into it.

There are a number of small scenarios that don't take that long to play, either solo or pbem.  All of the battles have a time limit.  There also comes a point that if one side or the other takes enough casualties, then there is the option to end the battle.  BH can correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the battles we fought went a little over half the time limit.  None ever went the full time. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Father Ted

Quote from: solops on September 05, 2017, 09:53:33 AM
Does anyone play? I have had the game for a couple of years but have never jumped in due to time considerations and lack of chatter to push me into it.

Steam says I've 55 hours invested, so I obviously like it.  It's WEGO, which I think is a good thing.  There's a fair amount of autonomy displayed by your subordinates - which can be frustrating - but, again, is a good thing.  For me, however, the real hook is the way in which C and C is modelled.  If you don't pay attention, you'll find that you can't give orders when you want to.  Actually even if you do concentrate, the enemy can still intervene via ECM.  Again, this sounds frustrating, but what it does is force you to have a robust initial plan and then focus on only a few units each move.  Thus, although it's obviously quite a complex game, I don't tend to feel swamped by the number of decisions I have to make each turn - meaning it's not daunting in terms of time-commitment.