Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Started by Martok, November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bob48

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 17, 2017, 11:37:54 PM
I managed to get Wellington killed in my NTW Campaign.  #:-)

Damn. he was the only one we had as well. >:(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Destraex

I hope you are wearing boots in his honour
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

undercovergeek

He is - just not the kind you're thinking of  ^-^

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

solops

Quote from: Martok on November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM
Yes, yes, a thousand times YES!!!  <:-) 
I'm so excited for this I may have to change my shorts (again)!  The period of the Danelaw and Alfred the Great is a fantastic era for the Total War series to cover, especially the "Saga" team, which works on smaller, more focused scenarios.  I can't wait!! 
EDIT:  A short FAQ can be found here.  Not much info yet, but a few useful tidbits.
Totally meh. Boring and uninteresting to me. I can skip this one. Only an amazing mod or if they make some serious fixes to the engine would get me to buy it....and only at a deep discount, say 75 percent off.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 17, 2017, 08:15:45 AM
QuoteTotal War: ATTILA and Total War: WARHAMMER both feature large invasions by marauding forces, as did the Viking Invasion expansion for Medieval: Total War, but they don't delve into what comes next. What happens after the invasion? How do countries and people pick themselves back up and adapt to the new reality they're faced with?

...admittedly I haven't played VI in at least ten years, but that isn't what I remember at all about it. Nations in the game were constantly dealing adapting to the new reality of having an established viking area on the Isles, upgrading their economic base (with great difficulty), trying to support standing armies. Still, I suppose he's positioning this as a sequel to VI.
Your VI campaigns have played out very differently than mine. 


Having continually played MTW/VI on an at-least intermittent basis ever since the game was released in 2002 (2003 for Viking Invasion), my experience has been that the Vikings generally have a difficult time establishing a firm foothold on the Isles.  Played by the AI, they generally don't raid enough provinces to build up a sufficient treasury so they can establish a base of operations before running out of money (their troops are very good, but they're also bloody expensive). 

Not to say the Vikings aren't a problem for the other factions:  With their raids and occasional deeper inland thrusts/invasions, they do remain a destabilizing force until around the mid-game.  After that, however, their influence wanes, as by that point one or more factions (usually including the human player) will have become large and/or powerful enough to deter/destroy any serious Norse aggression. 



The comparisons between Viking Invasion and Thrones of Britannia were, of course, inevitable.  8) 




Quote from: solops on November 18, 2017, 01:38:39 PM
Totally meh. Boring and uninteresting to me. I can skip this one. Only an amazing mod or if they make some serious fixes to the engine would get me to buy it....and only at a deep discount, say 75 percent off.
So given that the Total War Saga series is meant to go back and cover smaller, more specific scenarios/regions already covered by the larger "era" games (Rome II, Napoleon, etc.), what scenario would you like to have seen them do instead of this one?  Or (to put it another way), what would you like to see them do next? 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

solops

I'll have to think about that. I did not know that "Total War Saga" was a thing or that it was different from Total War. Ooops. I want them to fix the darn game, get the battle engine to be more realistic and do Rome-3 and do it RIGHT. And give us back the easy map editing capability we had in the first games.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Gusington

Rome 2, after 17 patches, is now the Emperor's Edition, which is pretty solid.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

#53
Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2017, 03:10:02 PM
Rome 2, after 17 patches, is now the Emperor's Edition, which is pretty solid.

Yup.

As solid as TW games get.

I tend to prefer vanilla TW Rome 2 over Attila because your tech progression doesn't give you a diplo penalty (as in Attila) for settled factions.  That was a ridiculous and lazy thing to do, in order to "balance" regular faction types with their new Horde types in Attila.  :tickedoff:  Despite the new & welcome UI additions which, hopefully, are being added to Rome 2 with this DLC.

Gusington

^Totally agree. Many mods remove that penalty. I think the Radious mods, which are excellent, remove it.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2017, 04:02:00 PM
^Totally agree. Many mods remove that penalty. I think the Radious mods, which are excellent, remove it.

Most of them only modify it to some extent AFAIK. 

I've seen one or two which profess to remove it, but I recall there being either some part(s) unaffected, or some other negative side effect. 

Got the impression that the code for it wasn't fully mod-able, so people were using imperfect workarounds.


Also - I don't use Radious Mods anymore.  They make some parts of TW games too easy.

Gusington

It's been a while since I played Rome 2 so I honestly don't remember.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on November 19, 2017, 04:08:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2017, 04:02:00 PM
^Totally agree. Many mods remove that penalty. I think the Radious mods, which are excellent, remove it.

Most of them only modify it to some extent AFAIK. 

I've seen one or two which profess to remove it, but I recall there being either some part(s) unaffected, or some other negative side effect. 

Got the impression that the code for it wasn't fully mod-able, so people were using imperfect workarounds.


Also - I don't use Radious Mods anymore.  They make some parts of TW games too easy.

You have to remember gus plays on easy or he gets his ass kicked and gets all teary

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus