Main Menu

WOFF goes WW2

Started by jomni, November 27, 2017, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


IronX

Cool! Not sure how I missed that one. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

ArizonaTank

I wish they would cut their tether to MS Combat Flight Simulator 3
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JudgeDredd

Is WOFF better than Rise of Flight? I think the general consensus is yes, but why? The engine (graphics (whilst not too shabby) and flight model) must surely be dated as it's core is CFS3?

Is it purely from the campaign perspective, being dynamic or are there other things that make it stand out against the much newer Rise of Flight?

Thanks
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Yskonyn

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 28, 2017, 03:05:30 AM
Is WOFF better than Rise of Flight? I think the general consensus is yes, but why? The engine (graphics (whilst not too shabby) and flight model) must surely be dated as it's core is CFS3?

Is it purely from the campaign perspective, being dynamic or are there other things that make it stand out against the much newer Rise of Flight?

Thanks

The campaign is what's the high point of WOFF.
Rise of Flight has a markedly better flightmodel, but apart from its dogfighting multiplayer there isn't as much fun to be had for someone looking for a SP experience.

CFS3 is ancient and so I feel them going for WW2 is more a labour of love than a sound business proposal, especially with DCS WW2 and IL-2 around.
Still, if they make a similar WW2 campaign to what we have in WOFF it might be fun, regardless of how ancient the engine is.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Thanks

I'm just about to read a review on Wodin's website
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

#7
bunch of reviews here...believe in the last expansion graphics were even improved.  i purchased last night but won't be able to play until tonight.  i had version one and enjoyed it much better than rof because of the single player experience but also because you don't have to buy a bunch of planes....game comes with like 80 flyable which is very good for the money.  on sale now for $36.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/reviews.html

Grim.Reaper

Just FYI...although the site says you must own CSF3 (and you do) and the game is based on CSF3, appears you no longer need to reference CSF3 during the install process.  In the original version you had to do that (believe you either pointed to your install or had the disc in the drive), but appears now they must be using the "honor system".

But I did forget how long the install process is....took me nearly an hour to unpack and install......guessing if I had a faster hard drive it might have gone quicker, but boy it was painful to watch the progress:)  I'll see how it plays tonight.


JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 28, 2017, 04:57:52 AM
bunch of reviews here...believe in the last expansion graphics were even improved.  i purchased last night but won't be able to play until tonight.  i had version one and enjoyed it much better than rof because of the single player experience but also because you don't have to buy a bunch of planes....game comes with like 80 flyable which is very good for the money.  on sale now for $36.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/reviews.html
I know what you did there  :knuppel2: :smitten:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Toonces

I've read the comparison:
RoF is a better WW1 aircraft simulator
WoFF is a better WW1 air war simulator

This is similar to the old DCS vs. BMS comparison.

If you're going to do MP dogfighting, RoF might be the better call (especially since there is no MP in WoFF).

If you're focus is on the single player campaign, then WoFF is fantastically better than RoF.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

RyanE

I have played both ROF and WOFF.  ROF is definitely better in the graphics department, by quite a bit.  I don't play campaigns much, but WOFF has the best campaign system of about any flight sim.  They both have a lot of planes.  The feeling of flight has always been better in ROF, but WOFF has done a lot to catch up through changes in simulation and graphics.  In my short time playing WOFF, I noticed the damage model was very weird.  I could still fly with both wings missing.  In ROF, the damage model seemed to match the damage I saw.

I own all of the WOFF games and modules, but stopped playing shortly after buying.  It has no flight recorder and no real scenario/mission editor that I saw.  Also, at the time, the CFS3 thing was an albatross around its neck, no pun intended.  I always felt like stuff was just bolted on to WOFF and the basic design of UI was by committee.  I am usually a pretty quick study, but finding information on WOFF and how to use all its features was one of the most painful gaming exercises I ever lived through.  It ended up not being worth it and I went back to ROF.  I still have $100 worth of WOFF I haven't touched in a couple years.

WOFF is better supported now than ROF, but with ROF moving to the IL2 engine over the next year, I would expect that to change.  I still play ROF almost daily in SP scenarios.

JudgeDredd

Thanks everyone.

Perhaps I'll reinstall RoF and see if the WWI era grabs me back in before I decide. I have a tone load of aircraft for RoF...so there's plenty of investment.

As always -  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

DoctorQuest

I have no issue with CFS3. I like it as a decent replacement for another favorite sim European Air War. It is easy to jump in and fly a quick mission in a well populated WWII world.

My biggest beef with WOFF (granted I have an older version) is the removal of the "free flight/quick mission" option. I simply don't understand why they took that off the menu. I get they were trying to adjust the UI to emphasize the campaign but I would still like the option to fly a quick single mission or just check out the various aircraft.

That all being said, the WOFF team does seem to have put a lot of work into doing what they can with the CFS3 engine. I doubt they can abandon the engine without sitting down and doing a whole lot more coding.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

RyanE

Personally, I don't think they can go much further with the CFS3 engine.  They have already had to chop a few things off as people have moved on to new operating systems.  Unless campaigns rate above graphics, damage model, scenario building, feel of flight, and few other odds and ends, I still think ROF is the better choice.  Plus it is getting a version 2 on DX11 that should set above even more on the graphics scale.