Right set of NATO symbols?

Started by CaptainKoloth, December 15, 2017, 10:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CaptainKoloth

Hello everyone: brand new here and also new to wargaming in general! Got a question here I'm hoping you could help me out with. I've been teaching myself the NATO unit symbols, for which the symbols for anti-tank and anti-air I understand are a right-side up triangle

and a dome
.
However, I have picked up more than one computer wargame in which the symbol for anti-tank is an upside -down triangle with a dot -

(I could understand the dot as denoting artillery but it seems to me it should still be a right side up triangle) and anti-air as a triangle with a line
.
Is there more than one accepted set of symbols? Why the discrepancy?
Sorry for the weird image sizes!

bayonetbrant

there's an official set of NATO military symbology that's required for use in professional contexts, like battlefield events tracking apps and professional sims used by the military

PDF here:  http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/doctrine/other/ms_2525d.pdf
More info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Joint_Military_Symbology


However, game designers are free to modify things however they want, and mix-and-match to their heart's content however they choose.

An example is wheeled vehicles, who's NATO-std icon is nothing like what most commercial designers use.


So there's a universal standard among those that can actually enforce one - the military.  But there isn't in the anarchy that is game design,
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

WW2 game?
The v with artillery is an anti-tank tank destroyer (artillery with anti-tank guns) if it had an oval it'd be a self-propelled anti-tank tank destroyer (tanks with anti-tank guns).
The inverted v with the line is anti-air.

The US symbols were standardize post-WW2 to what is now referred to as NATO symbols.   

mirth

These serious wargaming discussions unsettle me.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Bison on December 15, 2017, 10:44:08 PM
WW2 game?
The v with artillery is an anti-tank tank destroyer (artillery with anti-tank guns) if it had an oval it'd be a self-propelled anti-tank tank destroyer (tanks with anti-tank guns).
The inverted v with the line is anti-air.

The US symbols were standardize post-WW2 to what is now referred to as NATO symbols.   

They are both WW2, perhaps that's the difference. WW2 symbols differed from the present NATO ones?

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on December 15, 2017, 10:47:00 PM
These serious wargaming discussions unsettle me.

It's like finding out that Sindarin is real and your pronunciation is all wrong.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on December 15, 2017, 10:54:46 PM
Quote from: Bison on December 15, 2017, 10:44:08 PM
WW2 game?
The v with artillery is an anti-tank tank destroyer (artillery with anti-tank guns) if it had an oval it'd be a self-propelled anti-tank tank destroyer (tanks with anti-tank guns).
The inverted v with the line is anti-air.

The US symbols were standardize post-WW2 to what is now referred to as NATO symbols.   

They are both WW2, perhaps that's the difference. WW2 symbols differed from the present NATO ones?

Yes.  Very similar because NATO symbols evolved out of US symbols post WW2.  A "v" in current NATO symbols is air assault for example but smaller and not corner to corner, anti-armor is an inverted "v" and anti-air defense is the dome like the first images you posted.  There's more that can be added to the symbol frame to add unit capabilities like wheeled or tracked, etc...  You can google WW2 symbols and find the standard symbols that the US military used and those used by the Germans.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jomni

Here's the thing....
NATO wasn't around in WW2!!!!
:wow:

Bison

True.  However, that doesn't mean that historical symbols are used.  How many games use the actual German symbols to indicate the type of unit?  I cannot think of one.  I'm sure that there is one, but I cannot think of any.  So what do designers do?  They use NATO symbols because they are a common military language now.  The real heretics use silhouettes to identify the type of unit.  :)

Philippe

There was a set of Nato symbols around and in use before Nato existed.  Most of them were adopted into what we now think of as the Nato symbol set.  If I remember correctly the symbols for anti-air and anti-tank were a bit different from the ones that get used now, which probably date to the late sixties or early seventies. 

The Library of Congress has U.S. Army situation maps from the end of the war available online.  These are essentially the ancestors of the West Point Atlas military maps.  Whenever I look at them I'm always impressed by how easy they are to read, and they only use one color.  Sometimes less is more.

The Germans and the Soviets each had their own style of military symbols.  The German symbols were quite ingenious in terms of the amount of information that they conveyed, but they probably gave you too much information.  The Soviet symbols were somewhat simpler, but much harder to read.

Although the American symbols which evolved into Nato symbols were probably the easiest to read at an operational level, the Germans had the best convention for headquarters symbols.  Every now and then you'll see a wargame designer adopt part of the German HQ symbols set.  I think I've seen a screenshot from the Operational Art of War that was using it.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

spelk

I remember seeing a game (I can't remember which) that used these:



They just freaked me out.

Barthheart

AH's The Longest Day board game used the the German style symbols.
I made a set of them for Advance Tactics when we made the World at War scenario.

spelk

Quote from: Barthheart on December 16, 2017, 07:22:06 AM
AH's The Longest Day board game used the the German style symbols.
I made a set of them for Advance Tactics when we made the World at War scenario.

Ah that was it I think, Advanced Tactics!! Good job Sir!

Strela

Quote from: Barthheart on December 16, 2017, 07:22:06 AM
AH's The Longest Day board game used the the German style symbols.
I made a set of them for Advance Tactics when we made the World at War scenario.

So did/does the board game, Streets of Stalingrad...



Note v4 of that game has been cancelled, but the earlier version used the equivalent symbology.

David