Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Started by Martok, November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

One of my many vices.  It's probably one of the reasons I fit in so well here.  :P 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

True. At least I think it is. No Shieldwall-- No excuse. They had it way back in Barbarian Invasion. The next thing you know there won't be any Unicorns in this game either.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Clearly they're saving the shield wall for the unicorns.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Unicorns would make an excellent Shieldwall. They're so cute who could whack their way through them? I honestly can't see a lot different at this point with this campaign than what's already out with Age of Charlemagne-- the Danish factions. Other than maybe a larger campaign map and some different units? Maybe Ragnor Lothbrook and Floki will be included.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 08, 2018, 10:49:07 AM
I honestly can't see a lot different at this point with this campaign than what's already out with Age of Charlemagne-- the Danish factions. Other than maybe a larger campaign map and some different units? Maybe Ragnor Lothbrook and Floki will be included.
Aside from the larger focus on the British Isles, it's been stated we're also going to see stronger/deeper narrative elements affecting the campaign decisions, event chains, etc.  There's also the victory goals unique to each faction, which I really like. 

It sounds like in general, the game will be about experiencing the story of your people (whichever faction you're playing as), even more so than in past TW titles.  I'm sure a lot of folks couldn't care less about that, but it's something I personally find highly appealing. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jomni

Story means "on rails" and less "Sandbox". Is it a good thing?
But maybe CA made that way so that you don't get stuck with the title and purchase the next iteration.

Gusington

^You don't know that until, and if, you buy the game.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I'm not opposed to something that's closer to a blend of CK2 and TW.  I'm not sure I want the whole series to go that way, but I'm wiling to give it a try.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

I've been pleasantly surprised by the different types of Victory Conditions for the different factions in Warhammer TW. For the first time I can remember, it's not all about conquering the whole map or capturing certain regions... sometimes. Being able to win the game without 'X' number of regions or before year whatever is a nice change. Maybe this is what they're thinking here.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on January 09, 2018, 10:26:23 AM
I'm not opposed to something that's closer to a blend of CK2 and TW.  I'm not sure I want the whole series to go that way, but I'm wiling to give it a try.

I'd like to see such a blend succeed. 

I just doubt that CA can achieve mixing in an enjoyable semblance of a CK style historical campaign.  Not without a change in their creative direction department.  They've attempted to add more of it, in Rome 2, Attila, and their latest historical off-shoot, but those features just fall flat.  They've been uninteresting at best, and an annoyance the rest of the time.  :-\

Starting to think they should just give up on their dreams of adding engaging dynastic and role-playing facets to the historical TW series.  TW:Warhammer has some interesting rpg-style character development in it, but it's highly fantastic and focused only on individual leaders without any dynastic CK-style development.  Whomever's designing the historical TWs doesn't appear interested in adapting those concepts anyway.

Martok

A new blog revealing the unit rosters for West Seaxe and Mierce: 

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/anglo-saxon-unit-rosters


As anticipated, their OOB is dominated by sword, axe, & spear infantry, with only a few missile and cavalry units available to them.  (Jack Lusted confirmed that the General's Bodyguard units and Royal Thegns/Huscarls are infantry.)  Perhaps not terribly exciting per se, but pleasing to those of us who want to see at least a little historical authenticity. 


Also interesting is the blog confirms that -- contrary to what some were expecting -- Wessex and Mercia will be the only two playable Anglo-Saxon factions.  This has opened up speculation that more Gaelic/Celtic factions are going to be playable, a prospect that personally would please me greatly. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Destraex

Interesting that they have Javelinmen listed as a unit type. I  personally wish they were a little original and allowed you to upgrade or specialise units rather than trying to cookie cutter separate the men of this era into units with exactly the same standardised weapon. It does not fit the era. Men should have a variety of weapons and the unit could be upgraded so that some men were carrying javelins. This way it would be about the men of "cornwall" unit being tough and trained or upgraded enough to beat the enemy. Rather than playing rock paper scissors with whole units. Heck they could even show the integrity of the shield wall once formed as different hightlighted colours that take into account each units upgraded or experience values.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"