Main Menu

Guild Wars 2

Started by Huw the Poo, September 01, 2012, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

What's this rumor about them stopping Digital Download sales of Guild Wars 2?

Not enough server space for more customers, and don't want to buy anymore?  Or more on order?  Or nonsense?

Bison

I was going to buy online but they state that they are "out of keys".  So whatever I went and got a copy at Target.

Huw the Poo

Apparently they decided to suspend sales from their own website (probably the biggest source of sales) because of the stress on their servers.

How's that for success?!

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 04, 2012, 01:19:53 AM
Apparently they decided to suspend sales from their own website (probably the biggest source of sales) because of the stress on their servers.

How's that for success?!

I'm just wondering if they're going to remedy that issue or wait for people to snatch up all the retail boxes before expanding.

I still plan on buying GW2 sometime this month.  I guess as long as they're still in stores, it shouldn't be an issue but those will be going fast now too.

Bison

I suspect that they will quickly increase their server capacity and other issues resulting in the loss of hundreds of thousands or millions of dollar potential.  I have faith in the capitalist system.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2012, 10:06:37 PM
What's this rumor about them stopping Digital Download sales of Guild Wars 2?

Not enough server space for more customers, and don't want to buy anymore?  Or more on order?  Or nonsense?

I thought they suspended digital sales to deal with a hacking/exploit being pulled by several players.

I *think* that Tpek and Bison ARE on my server, after all. But we haven't been online at the same time. In my quest to decide what class I like best, I rolled a Necro. Man... those guys are pretty fun. I'm still kicking around Necro vs. Guardian vs. Warrior, but the Guardian and Necro seem to have top billing so far.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 04, 2012, 11:04:41 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2012, 10:06:37 PM
What's this rumor about them stopping Digital Download sales of Guild Wars 2?

Not enough server space for more customers, and don't want to buy anymore?  Or more on order?  Or nonsense?

I thought they suspended digital sales to deal with a hacking/exploit being pulled by several players.

I *think* that Tpek and Bison ARE on my server, after all. But we haven't been online at the same time. In my quest to decide what class I like best, I rolled a Necro. Man... those guys are pretty fun. I'm still kicking around Necro vs. Guardian vs. Warrior, but the Guardian and Necro seem to have top billing so far.

Hacking/Exploit?
Why then suspend digital sales?

Overpopulation seems far more likely a cause.

Huw the Poo

Yes, it was definitely overpopulation.  According to ArenaNet anyway, but it seems reasonable since the servers are quite clearly rammed with players.

DV8

How has server performance been?  Is the queue long or is it just plain crowded?

It sounds like waiting to purchase might be prudent.  Yes, no?
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

Grim.Reaper

I have had zero performance issues, nor do I have to wait for anything....has been a good experience for me so far, even though I stink at it:)

Bison

Yeah there is a nice population, but certainly not overcrowded.  So if you are going to get the game, I don't think there is any reason to hold back.

Kushan

Just got home from Gamestop. Installing now. Can't believe Gamestop actually still sells a PC game that isn't WoW.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Kushan on September 04, 2012, 08:29:32 PM
Just got home from Gamestop. Installing now. Can't believe Gamestop actually still sells a PC game that isn't WoW.

So sad....I remember the good old days when Game Stop/Electronic Boutique was lined with PC games....those were the days.....I picked up my copy at Target.

Arctic Blast

Apparently GW2 is the first purely PC game to top the overall retail sales charts since the last WoW expansion came out. So they're clearly doing okay.  :D

Huw the Poo

Quote from: DV8 on September 04, 2012, 06:52:34 PM
How has server performance been?  Is the queue long or is it just plain crowded?

It sounds like waiting to purchase might be prudent.  Yes, no?

Server performance is much better now than it was a week ago, and there's no queueing to get into the game; you'll just find yourself on an "overflow server" (no impact on gameplay) if population is high.  You will queue for world vs world combat, but as long as that doesn't bother you there's no reason to hold back.