Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Started by Martok, November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

My work is done here :) You're welcome, CA.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I don't like the arty unit cards. I don't mind the shiny metal look in the story intro though.
This reviewer liked the unit cards art style in both Rome2 and this new game. I did not. Difference of opinion here. I like my unit cards to reflect what I see on the actual battlefield.

I noticed that unlike what I had hoped. They have in the unit rosters gone for the same old. sword infantry, spear infantry, axe infantry etc. I was hoping for a more customised unit composition with mixed composition and mixed effectiveness in combat. As always, for the less well organised and regulated troops of periods like this, homogenous infantry units would be rarer and so would perfectly uniform training and even whether the unit stayed together when disbanded or raised again. In addition to this, I bet a shield wall consists of one unit only instead of the whole army being able to stand in a continuous line. I am also betting their are no mechanics for the player to manipulate and "play" the shield wall.
I was kinda hoping to be able to decorate particular people that I physically see breaking through a weak point in a shield wall, created by a giant push I initiated somewhere in the line.



I notice the colour schemes of armies are limited so that each side can be identified. But armies of this era were not generally like that. So in total war when I see the yellow guys attack the red guys. I don't know what time period they think they are in. Perhaps ww2?

I do like the way the tech tree forces you to learn by playing the game and experiencing the thing you want to research before you can become better at it. For instance the more you carry out sieges the easier it is to research sieges apparently.

I like the new way units are raised. That they are actually on the map while they muster. I think it would be silly though if their was no way to choose a muster point for them so that the understregth unit is not forced to join the army with hardly any men.

I like the fact that their appears (not sure) to be no real army limit now. Allowing you to properly manage how your forces are deployed.

I like that armies have to carry supply with them and can run out of food outside their own lines. This if it is done well will be amazing and something I have wanted for a long time.

Not sure about the shield walls and how they look. They look like they have purposely been left open.

I like that agents are gone. This will finally hopefully stop the bullshit agent spam.

All in all. I like it as far as total war games go. I do hope their is a way to win without being an ass. Rather like king arthur would have been in his "legendary" form.
I am partial to the norse. But I would also love to see the saxons\Britons win.




"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

I don't like the units cards either and hope they'll be modded into something prettier. And I'll miss the agents though they were kind of lame in Age of Charlemagne.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

I also have not seen any screenshots of battles that are zoomed to show the full army at any angle thus far. Maybe I should go through the video again and try to see if the black ants are gone.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

I haven't really liked unit cards since Shogun 2, that is, until the Warhammer games.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

Quote from: Gusington on February 04, 2018, 02:09:27 PM
I haven't really liked unit cards since Shogun 2, that is, until the Warhammer games.

I liked the Shogun Unit cards. I don't mind the art style for this one.

Alas, this will wait until I get a new PC and it comes out right after my birthday!!!!
but it costs nothing to wishlist.

Wishlisted.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

It will be worth the wait. I just started playing this and it came out about 18 months ago, mostly because I knew nothing about Warhammer.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

#157
A video that really brings home why it does not pay to have specialised spear and swordsmen in separate groups.
The reality is that you would probably put heavier protection in the front line, but everybody would start with spears, especially against armour. Then swords on the lesser protected opponents.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

Wait. There are war hounds that you can command to move around the battlefield?

Sir Slash

Yes, controlled by boxes of Britannic Milk Bones.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Can you set them on fire before turning them loose amongst your foes?

...y'know, for legacy purposes.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

fabius

Quote from: jomni on February 06, 2018, 07:23:24 AM
Wait. There are war hounds that you can command to move around the battlefield?
Saw that. That sucks, but at least there be mods culling them probably on day 1

Sir Slash

Flaming Pigs! We need Flaming Pigs! Maybe with Warhounds chasing them.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mikeck

Hmm. I'm not sure it was realistically possible to control large regions in this time WITHOUT being an a-hole. Lol
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Destraex

Depends what you mean by A-hole. I get the impression the Britons\King Alfred at least in legends seemed to be well loved by his subjects.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"