Main Menu

Guild Wars 2

Started by Huw the Poo, September 01, 2012, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on September 07, 2012, 06:55:08 PM
I think there is around 6-8 or so LB.

So how often are we getting together in a group?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Tpek

Quote from: LongBlade on September 07, 2012, 07:55:17 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 07, 2012, 06:55:08 PM
I think there is around 6-8 or so LB.

So how often are we getting together in a group?

So far I haven't been able to group with people from here, but hopefully as more people join and/or become more dedicated, things will change. :)

Bison

I think this game is no different than others.  If we as a community really want to game together, we have to set a schedule.  Not something fixed that your out if you don't make it, but something like "Hey Sat 2100 EST it's Grogheads static GW2 night.  Get on the Steam chat and lets kills some monsters!"  Otherwise I think it goes the way most plans do.  Everyone expresses interest, but its hard to get folks together at the last minute.  If its a regular time on a schedule, I think we could orgainize easily several different games to include GW2.

Anyway just my two cents.

Nefaro

#123
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2012, 06:54:01 PM

I am playing.....not well, but playing.  I was concerned about this type of game, but from what I can see it even plays well for single player minded people like myself.

Many of them play pretty well for solo'ing anymore, Reaper. 

I think MMO developers learned that if people couldn't play most of them solo, that their player base would quickly vanish.  Most people prefer playing solo, at least during the levelling stage before reaching maximum level, because there is nobody nagging you and nobody to wait on.   

I found that when I joined random pick-up groups in MMOs, I'd spend a large amount of time waiting on one or two people to show up in our virtual 'target area' before we could get started.  Then, when these tardy people arrived, they'd leave again ten minutes later after a quick "sorry goodbye" right in the middle of some tough area.  So that can be quite frustrating if you don't have these things planned with your regular acquaintances beforehand.

Which is where your regular guildies are pretty much the only ones you wanna party up with unless you don't mind spending your valuable and limited time waiting around on some people you've never talked to before in the hopes that they can all stick it out for an hour or two.  :D

Edit:  Guild schedules, like Bison mentioned, are the way to go.   Everyone just needs to mention where/what content they'd like to group up for and when they are available.   Easy stuff.   Perhaps GW2 even has an in-game Guild Calender available for Guild Officers to use that everyone in the guild can see.  Some MMOs started adding this feature over the last few years and it's quite nice since people who aren't around for the discussion can see what was planned and contact accordingly.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on September 07, 2012, 08:25:16 PM

So far I haven't been able to group with people from here, but hopefully as more people join and/or become more dedicated, things will change. :)

I don't often see people grouping up for awhile after starting a new game.. unless perhaps to PvP. 

In the later levels is when group dungeon fever starts hitting, I think.

Huw the Poo

I have four characters now and can't even pick a favourite.

I love my ranger.  Armed with a longbow he can rain death upon groups of enemies from afar  When they get close he calls on his trusty sword and dagger, which deal superb damage while allowing him to dodge and roll around the battlefield.  He has a growing stable of pets which have various special abilities such as allowing him to run faster, or knocking enemies down, and can even revive him.

I love my necromancer.  She's really bad news for the enemies, using her magic to poison, cripple, weaken, and generally piss them off and render them useless.  She summons minions to keep her alive and other minions that are walking bombs and do fantastic damage to enemies.  And when she takes a lot of punishment and defeat seems near, she slips into her death shroud, drawing on her very lifeforce (and that of others) to live again and keep putting out the pain.

I love my guardian.  She's hard as nails.  She can take shocking amounts of damage, all while using her magic to shield her allies.  She can call upon her Virtues to burn her enemies or protect and heal herself, and she can also use them to do the same for others.  In large fights her magic keeps her allies alive long after they should be dead.  She smites her foes with her mace while channelling magic through her shield to create huge domes of protective energy, frustrating the enemies' attacks.

I love my mesmer.  Armed with her scepter she creates clones of herself constantly, confusing the enemy whilst boosting her own damage output.  By switching weapons she can create different kinds of clones and summon phantasms that harass her opponents.  She wears light armour but is rarely attacked directly because her opponents spend so much time having no idea where to strike next.

I just can't pick a favourite.  They're all massive fun to play, even the Guardian despite me generally not liking melee combat in MMOs.  They have their strengths that can be applied to different situations, and of course there are countless ways to spec each class too.  It's a genuine dilemma every time I load up the game; which character do I play this time?

Guild Wars 2 is fantastic. :)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 08, 2012, 03:40:28 AM
I have four characters now and can't even pick a favourite.

I love my ranger.  Armed with a longbow he can rain death upon groups of enemies from afar  When they get close he calls on his trusty sword and dagger, which deal superb damage while allowing him to dodge and roll around the battlefield.  He has a growing stable of pets which have various special abilities such as allowing him to run faster, or knocking enemies down, and can even revive him.

I love my necromancer.  She's really bad news for the enemies, using her magic to poison, cripple, weaken, and generally piss them off and render them useless.  She summons minions to keep her alive and other minions that are walking bombs and do fantastic damage to enemies.  And when she takes a lot of punishment and defeat seems near, she slips into her death shroud, drawing on her very lifeforce (and that of others) to live again and keep putting out the pain.

I love my guardian.  She's hard as nails.  She can take shocking amounts of damage, all while using her magic to shield her allies.  She can call upon her Virtues to burn her enemies or protect and heal herself, and she can also use them to do the same for others.  In large fights her magic keeps her allies alive long after they should be dead.  She smites her foes with her mace while channelling magic through her shield to create huge domes of protective energy, frustrating the enemies' attacks.

I love my mesmer.  Armed with her scepter she creates clones of herself constantly, confusing the enemy whilst boosting her own damage output.  By switching weapons she can create different kinds of clones and summon phantasms that harass her opponents.  She wears light armour but is rarely attacked directly because her opponents spend so much time having no idea where to strike next.

I just can't pick a favourite.  They're all massive fun to play, even the Guardian despite me generally not liking melee combat in MMOs.  They have their strengths that can be applied to different situations, and of course there are countless ways to spec each class too.  It's a genuine dilemma every time I load up the game; which character do I play this time?

Guild Wars 2 is fantastic. :)

Your energy for this game is a huge reason why I took a gamble and bought it:)  Right now I have only played with a Warrior, something like a Ranger might be interesting to play with so I can kill things from a distance since I am not a great up close fighter.  Just not very nimble with keyboard controls.

bob48

I've no doubt that I'll pick it up at some point, especially since I have been encouraged by Huw, who does seem to have a small liking for the game :-))

One of main things I would like is being able to get on and play with some of my fellow Grogs - so, get the details sorted out please chaps, I'm relying on you having got all the techie bits solved to ease my entry into the GW2 world......
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2012, 06:43:19 AM
Your energy for this game is a huge reason why I took a gamble and bought it:)

I hope you like it as much as I do then!  Yeah I'm not great with melee combat either; in big fights it's difficult for me to tell what's going on.  But I'm loving the guardian a lot more than I expected to, and it's particularly good for group fights.

The mesmer and necromancer play kind of similarly at low level, but I've been reading about both classes on the official wiki today and it looks like there's lots of scope for differentiation and specialisation later on.  I can hardly contain myself!  The only problem with having all of these characters is that it's going to take ages to get them all levelled.

I do try to stick to one but I just can't!

Huw the Poo

Bob there is a Grogheads guild already, and I'm in it.  The only problem is our American cousins are never online at the same time I am, so I'm usually on my own. :(

I need some Brits and Euros in the guild!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 08, 2012, 06:53:39 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2012, 06:43:19 AM
Your energy for this game is a huge reason why I took a gamble and bought it:)

I hope you like it as much as I do then!  Yeah I'm not great with melee combat either; in big fights it's difficult for me to tell what's going on.  But I'm loving the guardian a lot more than I expected to, and it's particularly good for group fights.

The mesmer and necromancer play kind of similarly at low level, but I've been reading about both classes on the official wiki today and it looks like there's lots of scope for differentiation and specialisation later on.  I can hardly contain myself!  The only problem with having all of these characters is that it's going to take ages to get them all levelled.

I do try to stick to one but I just can't!

Can you tell me the main differences between a warrior and guardian?  I think I have seen where the warrior could eventually use ranged weapons like a bow/rifle so that is why I decided on that character, although I have no idea how long it takes to acquire those weapons.  However, everyone seems to talk about the guardian character so curious.  I am not much into magic so that is why I have stayed away from the other characters so far.

Huw the Poo

I haven't played a warrior yet, but a great resource is the official wiki; check out the page about warriors.  Click the links for his skills and traits and have a good read through, and you'll get a feel for where you can take the character.

Or just create a guardian. :D They must play quite similarly but you can put out a lot of buffs.  And they're nigh unstoppable too.  In fact I haven't even been downed with my guardian yet.

Nefaro

How are the group instances (aka 'dungeons') set up in GW2? 

I suppose it's not quite like the original where all PvP is just the same instance as you'd have going it solo (but scaled to your party size)?

I can definitely understand the Alt-tasticness, Huw.  I can rarely force myself to stick with one class before I've played them all a fair bit and even then I still like to switch between a couple of my favorites regularly.  Variety is good, right?

Huw the Poo

I haven't tried a single dungeon yet, someone else will have to comment.

Quote from: Nefaro on September 08, 2012, 11:45:07 AM
I can definitely understand the Alt-tasticness, Huw.  I can rarely force myself to stick with one class before I've played them all a fair bit and even then I still like to switch between a couple of my favorites regularly.  Variety is good, right?

Indeed, my friend!  I'm actually not usually so much of an altaholic in MMORPGs, but with GW2 I feel like a kid in a sweet shop.

LongBlade

Well, the fam was out shopping at Target and picked up a copy for me. Guess I'll be installing it later this evening and looking for you guys online.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.