I just want my cat to eat food and drink water

Started by W8taminute, April 18, 2012, 10:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Staggerwing

All the best to Zoe from me and also from my 20 year old (!) tabby cat Fred.
Yep, Fred is still alive despite my concerns last Spring. :)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MIGMaster

Hope the kitty makes out OK - we have two in our family and even my Old Man likes them !! I was totally surprised... he usually prefers to gun down furry critters !

When our oldest cat was sick I gave her a small piece of bologna and it seemed to kick-start her eating again. All the best dude !

Arctic Blast

My folks had a border collie in a pretty similar situation a few years ago. He was so easily distracted that he wasn't a big eater to begin with, but he started dropping weight and it turned out to be some sort of a liver issue. After a few days of his new meds, he started eating more heartily than he ever had before.

Hopefully the result is equally good with the cat.

Shelldrake

Glad to hear that Zoe is improving W8taminute. I hope that she is with you for many more years.

My wife and I recently lost both of our old cats to age related diseases and really miss them. Fortunately our two dogs are still healthy but both are geriatric cases (one is 15, the other is 12) so we are aware that their days are numbered. :(
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

W8taminute

Thanks again everyone for sharing your stories and your well wishes. 

Zoe continues to show good signs of eating.  We even tried that stinky fishy smell test but it didn't phase her.  She ate the tuna anyway so we continue to crush her pills and mix it with her food.  We're still treating her to fluids via I.V. infusions but hope to stop that soon. 

Tuesday of next week it's back to the vet for a follow blood work analysis.  Hopefully, the results will show the antibiotics are helping.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

W8taminute

We fought hard to keep Zoe going but tonight she lost her struggle.  I feel like a part of me died tonight but I know the hard decision that I made was for the better.  The tough part will be telling the kids the news in the morning. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Silent Disapproval Robot

Sorry for your loss.  As a fellow cat-guy, I can sympathize. 

undercovergeek

Quote from: W8taminute on September 08, 2012, 01:27:14 AM
We fought hard to keep Zoe going but tonight she lost her struggle.  I feel like a part of me died tonight but I know the hard decision that I made was for the better.  The tough part will be telling the kids the news in the morning.

oh man, sorry W8 - been there - hope it goes well today

Staggerwing

My sympathies- sad news. I know how you feel, having lost my own cats, one this summer, the other a few years ago. It's like losing family.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

So sorry to hear that. We've been through it, so I know the empty feeling you get. Its very painful but remember that you have a lot of friends here who share your grief.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

TheCommandTent

Sorry for your loss W8, I hope you and your family have many fond memories of her that you can hold with you.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Sorry to hear that. We lost our cat a few years ago. I'm not a cat guy, I'm a dog guy, but losing any pet is difficult, and moreso when you're really attached. I'm truly sorry.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

You and your family have my condolences, W8.  I cried all day when they put my dog down a few years back.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

W8taminute

Thank you guys for your kind words of support.  It sincerely means a lot to me.  It sounds like a lot of us have been in this situation and only a pet owner can truly understand the grief of losing a loved pet.  I'm grateful to know you guys.

The kids took the news well.  They cried a little but were soon over it.  Mrs. W8taminute and myself are another story though.  We're thinking of adopting another kitten.  Later on today we're going to the local animal shelter to see what's what.  I'm not sure I'm ready to replace Zoe so soon but many have told us the best medicine is to adopt again.  Zoe will never be forgotten and perhaps a new kitten will help us move on.


I'm going out now to find a spot in our backyard for a burial site. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk