Main Menu

NEO Scavenger

Started by Nefaro, September 08, 2012, 08:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Looks like a Post-Apoc Survival Roguelike!  8)

A newer beta buy-in at Desura.  Looks like some wholesome scrounging and killing to be done.

http://www.desura.com/games/neo-scavenger

TheCommandTent

I played the free version and found it fairly entertaining but I kept dying and having to start over so I eventually stopped.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

son_of_montfort

Is there any way to up the resolution? Mine ran in a small box!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

TheCommandTent

Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 08, 2012, 10:35:34 PM
Is there any way to up the resolution? Mine ran in a small box!

I could never figure that out either and it probably contributed to me stopping playing the game.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 08, 2012, 10:35:34 PM
Is there any way to up the resolution? Mine ran in a small box!

I saw something mentioning only "800x600" in the ReqSpecs, so it may only run at that lowly 1998 standard.  :-[

Perhaps the guy is hoping to push it out for hand-held stuff and sacrificing the big displays in the process?  >:(

Nefaro

#5
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 08, 2012, 10:29:32 PM
I played the free version and found it fairly entertaining but I kept dying and having to start over so I eventually stopped.

Yeah, that tends to be how roguelike RPGs work.  But these survival roguelikes need to monitor their gameplay much more than others IMO.

The only thing I'm concerned about in these Survival-style roguelikes is how fast the arbitrary 'clock' ticks down.   There's a fine line between a fun roguelike where you can feel like you've progressed a ways each time you play, and something that just ticks down to an all too fast & early demise no matter how much better you do than last time.  So this Survival sub-genre shouldn't be starving/dehydrating/freezing the player to death very quickly at all or it'll just feel like an artificially high difficulty level that made you lose that round instead of bad decision making.

TheCommandTent

It did seem like you would starve or freeze to death faster then you realistically would.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Nefaro

#7
Heads up!

NEO Scavenger is in a limited time bundle offer right now - minimum price is $1. 

It has the DRM-free installer package and also gives you the Desura activation key, where you can get further updates and such (it's still technically in beta IIRC).


The bundle also has King's Bounty: The Legend (Installer and Steam key), X-Blades (Steam key), and some Kung Fu indie arcade beat-em-up (Steam key).  Oh.. and some music I don't know about.  :-\

I already have one of the later, larger, King's Bounty packs (great game if you like the old Heroes of Might & Magic type strategy-RPG games) and the other two didn't interest me much.  So I tossed a few bucks into the package just to get NEO Scavenger since the dirt cheap price made me give in.   I certainly enjoyed the demo to NEO, so it was an easy leap.



Edit:  A link to the sale would help, amiright? ..
http://groupees.com/bm5

Nefaro

Quote from: Shelldrake on December 15, 2014, 03:08:17 PM
This latest offering from GOG looks pretty interesting....kind of like a The Road video game.

http://www.gog.com/game/neo_scavenger


I've had it for quite awhile, after it went early access on Desura.  It was great fun last year but they've added a lot more content & such since then.

It's a pretty amazing turn-based RPG for such a little indie title.  I shouldn't say "little" because the open world post-apoc gameplay has a lot of replayability.  Very Roguelike flavored.  O0


Wow.  Looks like it officially released today!