Main Menu

Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

Hurry up and buy it already!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

Quote from: acctingman on April 27, 2018, 11:10:59 AM
Thanks DennisS....good to know this. Sounds like I'd like this game!

There are a ton of twitch streams and youtube videos out there. COHH is my personal favorite. He isn't a strong player, but he is having fun, and learning as he is going. It was watching perhaps 30 hours of these videos that convinced me to pay the freight for this game. I am pretty cheap, and $40 is a lot for an old retired grognard like me.

I am about four missions in, and doing better than I thought I would. Slow, careful, step by step. Tactical as all hell. Supporting fire, focus fire, and very VERY detailed planning on what my individual mechs will have, with regards to armor, weapons, heat sinks, and even who the pilot will be.

Gusington

You can get it discounted to ~30 through Green Man, Fanatical, etc.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

Buying it Sunday. I have Mon-Tuesday off and plan on doing nothing but Battletech, and what ever "honey - do" list the misses gives me.


acctingman

Shit.....bought it.

Anyone recommend a twitcher or youtuber that does some nice tips/tricks for this game?

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: acctingman on April 27, 2018, 02:34:51 PM
Shit.....bought it.

Anyone recommend a twitcher or youtuber that does some nice tips/tricks for this game?

Dennis mentioned COHH above.  I concur.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9TXGvv2-7JVVdyKEi0A6A
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

acctingman

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 27, 2018, 02:52:27 PM
Quote from: acctingman on April 27, 2018, 02:34:51 PM
Shit.....bought it.

Anyone recommend a twitcher or youtuber that does some nice tips/tricks for this game?

Dennis mentioned COHH above.  I concur.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9TXGvv2-7JVVdyKEi0A6A

Thank you!


Jarhead0331

All you need to know for starters is:

1. Keep your Lance together.
2. Mass firepower on one target at time, whenever possible.
3. Always alpha strike, heat and weapon parameters permitting.
4. Hit them from the flanks or the rear.
5. Use scouts to take high ground and serve as spotters for indirect weapons.
6. Attack from covered and concealed positions when available
7. Stay mobile in the open. A moving target is a harder target to hit.

I found that even with stock mechs, sticking to the above tactics usually works, keeping damage and injuries to a minimum. I've made it through the tutorial missions and 4 contract missions without any significant losses. As I get more comfortable with the game and UI, I am starting to experiment with different mech refits. However, early on, this doesn't seem critical.

Most important of all...its a game. Play it and enjoy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


acctingman

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2018, 03:18:38 PM
All you need to know for starters is:

1. Keep your Lance together.
2. Mass firepower on one target at time, whenever possible.
3. Always alpha strike, heat and weapon parameters permitting.
4. Hit them from the flanks or the rear.
5. Use scouts to take high ground and serve as spotters for indirect weapons.
6. Stay mobile when possible. A moving target is a harder target to hit.

I found that even with stock mechs, sticking to the above tactics usually works, keeping damage and injuries to a minimum. I've made it through the tutorial missions and 4 contract missions without any significant losses. As I get more comfortable with the game and UI, I am starting to experiment with different mech refits. However, early on, this doesn't seem critical.

Most important of all...its a game. Play it and enjoy.

Thanks JH  O0

Nefaro

Quote from: acctingman on April 27, 2018, 02:34:51 PM
Shit.....bought it.

Anyone recommend a twitcher or youtuber that does some nice tips/tricks for this game?

I posted a couple vids earlier in this thread.  One regarding basic tips, the other explaining all the GUI details and related mechanics.

In the following post:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19526.msg609241#msg609241

Nefaro

#522
Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 27, 2018, 01:58:10 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 27, 2018, 01:47:09 AM
I always enjoyed the 3025, and 3045 updated era, because mech equipment was scarce. 

It makes the game's salvage options more important.  Gives an importance to looting reminiscent of RPGs, a taste of phat dungeon crawling loot I suppose.

It also lends importance to mechs themselves.  When there are so few of them being built, and the antiques being operated are invaluable family heirlooms which are often also handed down with feudal titles, it lends a lot more personality to it.  8)

This is why the devs chose this era.   I agree, it was what we've been asking for and what we deserved.

The era endears me a lot more to the game.  I'm loving it, and yeah, loving it as a Battletech fan. 

But I do think we'll see them go to the more high tech eras in DLC.  Face it, the Clans sell.   They always have.  They'll be the first DLC.

I'm fine with the inevitable Clan DLC, and would likely get it myself at some point.  I'm guessing they would just make a new, separate, campaign integrating the Clan stuff with what already exists.  Would likely have this original earlier campaign untouched if I felt the need to go old school.   O0

Hell, I'd enjoy the Clan addition if they can make the balancing work.  Which should be easy enough being a turn-based strategy game.  It's in shooters where people are running individual mechs as an FPS, such as MWO, where the Clans screw it up.

DennisS

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2018, 03:18:38 PM
All you need to know for starters is:

1. Keep your Lance together.
2. Mass firepower on one target at time, whenever possible.
3. Always alpha strike, heat and weapon parameters permitting.
4. Hit them from the flanks or the rear.
5. Use scouts to take high ground and serve as spotters for indirect weapons.
6. Attack from covered and concealed positions when available
7. Stay mobile in the open. A moving target is a harder target to hit.

I found that even with stock mechs, sticking to the above tactics usually works, keeping damage and injuries to a minimum. I've made it through the tutorial missions and 4 contract missions without any significant losses. As I get more comfortable with the game and UI, I am starting to experiment with different mech refits. However, early on, this doesn't seem critical.

Most important of all...its a game. Play it and enjoy.

If I may add...use your pilot skills effectively. Some have "bulwark", which provides a defensive bonus when stationary. Others can sensor lock a mech, reducing their movement buffs. Others still have an increased chance to hit, through the gunnery skill. My personal favorite is the ability to split your attacks to more than one mech. Not useful on a light mech that has one weapon, but with a big mech, you might fire the close range stuff at a mech close range, and all other medium and longer range weapons at a mech farther away.

To take this one little step further, you NEED to marry your pilots' skills to the available mechs. Having bulwark is useless on a light mech that is in constant motion, for example.

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on April 27, 2018, 05:11:49 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 27, 2018, 01:58:10 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 27, 2018, 01:47:09 AM
I always enjoyed the 3025, and 3045 updated era, because mech equipment was scarce. 

It makes the game's salvage options more important.  Gives an importance to looting reminiscent of RPGs, a taste of phat dungeon crawling loot I suppose.

It also lends importance to mechs themselves.  When there are so few of them being built, and the antiques being operated are invaluable family heirlooms which are often also handed down with feudal titles, it lends a lot more personality to it.  8)

This is why the devs chose this era.   I agree, it was what we've been asking for and what we deserved.

The era endears me a lot more to the game.  I'm loving it, and yeah, loving it as a Battletech fan. 

But I do think we'll see them go to the more high tech eras in DLC.  Face it, the Clans sell.   They always have.  They'll be the first DLC.

I'm fine with the inevitable Clan DLC, and would likely get it myself at some point.  I'm guessing they would just make a new, separate, campaign integrating the Clan stuff with what already exists.  Would likely have this original earlier campaign untouched if I felt the need to go old school.   O0

Hell, I'd enjoy the Clan addition if they can make the balancing work.  Which should be easy enough being a turn-based strategy game.  It's in shooters where people are running individual mechs as an FPS, such as MWO, where the Clans screw it up.

If you kill a mech pilot, without destroying his center torso, then his mech becomes available for salvage. Same with blowing off both of his legs. This adds an additional layer of strategy, if the bad guys have a mech you REALLY want. *cough*firestarter*cough*