Modern Global Strategy Games - What's Available?

Started by Ian C, April 30, 2018, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ian C

#30
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 06, 2018, 07:02:23 AM
I would take a chance on it but, at $50 for base game, then a bunch of DLC to get current through 2018....that's a little too much to put my faith into a good enough experience.

I feel the same. That's why I'm only getting the base game and 2018 add-on first. Also you don't need the 2017 add-on: the 2018 DLC has all the same features in it plus major new features. The modding add-on is not necessary and neither is the god n spy one, which is just built-in game cheats.

I have the previous games from this developer in this series. Quirks bugs and all, they were still playable. If this version is reportedly more polished and stable than them, I'm going to pull the trigger.

RyanE

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 06, 2018, 01:20:29 AM
Quote from: RyanE on May 05, 2018, 04:25:02 PM
"Well, the tools are there with CMANO"

While a nice thought, I am skeptical of this being feasible.  The amount of scripting you would have to do to operate beyond the tactical sweet spot of the game would probably be on par with writing your own game from scratch.

Hence my remark about 'in theory...' . :)

Yeah, I understand.  I just didn't want someone running out and buying Command thinking they could easily play a TOAW-like WW3 scenario.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Ian C on May 06, 2018, 07:05:04 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 06, 2018, 07:02:23 AM
I would take a chance on it but, at $50 for base game, then a bunch of DLC to get current through 2018....that's a little too much to put my faith into a good enough experience.

I feel the same. That's why I'm only getting the base game and 2018 add-on first. Also you don't need the 2017 add-on: the 2018 DLC has all the same features in it plus major new features. The modding add-on is not necessary and neither is the god n spy one, which is just built-in game cheats.

I have the previous games from this developer in this series. Quirks bugs and all, they were still playable. If this version is reportedly more polished and stable than them, I'm going to pull the trigger.

Thought I had read you need both 2017 and 2018 to get full content (i.e. scenarios, features, etc.).....maybe I read wrong.  But either way, that still comes to $70 even just for base + 2018 DLC.  This vendor and product hasn't earned enough from me to make that kind of investment:)

Ian C

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 06, 2018, 07:50:14 AM

Thought I had read you need both 2017 and 2018 to get full content (i.e. scenarios, features, etc.).....maybe I read wrong.  But either way, that still comes to $70 even just for base + 2018 DLC.  This vendor and product hasn't earned enough from me to make that kind of investment:)

Yeah. They have a dubious rep but I'm going to risk it based on some of the more recent reviews. I hope I don't regret it.

fabius

Quote from: Ian C on May 06, 2018, 07:02:40 AM
Quote from: fabius on May 06, 2018, 06:00:22 AM
In other news, seems like Modern Day 4 mod for Hoi are working on getting money into the game.

The major problem using HOI 4 for modern geopolitics is that economy and politics is simplified so much as to be almost insignificant. Paradox really needs to make a modern game that's close to EU 4 and Crusader Kings II WITH the military depth of HOI 4. I really don't know why they haven't done this. Offhand I'd say it would be a huge seller. Maybe it's too controversial.
Yeah at the moment the economy and diplo is too bare bones in Hoi4. But judging by steam player count, it's gonna have a long dlc life...
And the mod team are doing good things. I was impressed how they abstracted GPD to link to buildings and research slots. Another plus is that pdox continue to be pro modders, recently adding ability for the to make and change UI.

That said, I think Pdox are best placed to make a dedicated modern game which obviously would be better. But yeah i think they are a bit sensitive to PC, which is why when topic comes up there I add 'near future'.

Aside from that I reckon maybe Vic 3 would be better suited for a modern mod ?

Finally, back to the Modern Day 4 mod, it's still early days for that and worth keeping an eye on especially if somebody wants a combat focus play.

OJsDad

Quote from: Ian C on May 06, 2018, 07:05:04 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 06, 2018, 07:02:23 AM
I would take a chance on it but, at $50 for base game, then a bunch of DLC to get current through 2018....that's a little too much to put my faith into a good enough experience.

I feel the same. That's why I'm only getting the base game and 2018 add-on first. Also you don't need the 2017 add-on: the 2018 DLC has all the same features in it plus major new features. The modding add-on is not necessary and neither is the god n spy one, which is just built-in game cheats.

I have the previous games from this developer in this series. Quirks bugs and all, they were still playable. If this version is reportedly more polished and stable than them, I'm going to pull the trigger.

Which game are you talking about. I lost track.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: OJsDad on May 06, 2018, 03:55:00 PM
Quote from: Ian C on May 06, 2018, 07:05:04 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 06, 2018, 07:02:23 AM
I would take a chance on it but, at $50 for base game, then a bunch of DLC to get current through 2018....that's a little too much to put my faith into a good enough experience.

I feel the same. That's why I'm only getting the base game and 2018 add-on first. Also you don't need the 2017 add-on: the 2018 DLC has all the same features in it plus major new features. The modding add-on is not necessary and neither is the god n spy one, which is just built-in game cheats.

I have the previous games from this developer in this series. Quirks bugs and all, they were still playable. If this version is reportedly more polished and stable than them, I'm going to pull the trigger.

Which game are you talking about. I lost track.

Power & Revolution

OJsDad

Thanks Grim. Added to my wishlist. See if it goes on sale at some point.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on May 07, 2018, 09:08:54 PM
Thanks Grim. Added to my wishlist. See if it goes on sale at some point.

It rarely goes on sale. I picked it up from greenman with the code may22. Gave a nice 22% off.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Boggit

Quote from: WargamerJoe on May 01, 2018, 03:37:19 AM
I'm not sure if you can still purchase it, but STORM: Frontline Nation was a rough and ready modern strategy game. It was only focused on Europe, but set in a post-modern era. It had a turn-based campaign layer which was very Total War-esque, and then you had a tactical battle mode which was also turn-based.

It probably didn't sell well as after a few patches the developer just upped and disappeared, I'm not even sure they exist anymore. It's very rough, but I always enjoyed it.
You can get it on Steam, but you have to do a search on it to find it. I find it has quite a learning curve, but one of my regular MP opponents - Sauron - plays it quite a bit and rates it highly for what it is. I have played it a little, and like Wargamer Joe says, it is a rough and ready game, although it can be quite fun too.

The reason the developer "upped and disappeared" is because they went bust. IIRC, they were a Greek developer, and had severe problems with the economic car crash that happened in Greece a few years ago (and which sadly still plagues that country  :().

It is a very different modern experience, but I'd recommend it because it is not expensive, can be quite fun, and presents an unusual take on modern warfare.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Wburn on May 02, 2018, 11:05:50 AM
I have that Storm Front Nation the quirkiest thing was you had to load missiles unto your platforms, never could figure it out. I should reload it gain and see if thy fixed the problem but all in ll it wasn't that entertaining.
I think it plays out better multiplayer.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2018, 11:12:34 AM
The game sucks. It never worked. Only good for nuking.
I've seen a lot of people say that - and it's very expensive too - given its age.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Ian C

Bought Power & Revolution Global Political Simulator 4 with the 2018 add-on and so far so good, though a bit pricey. Liking the depth of features since I last played Masters of the World Global Political Simulator 3. I'd rate it any day over Supreme Ruler. Better interface though the military units are very simplified.
The voice acting is hilarious but I think if this remains stable it's a keeper. I had a lot of fun running as an opposition party in the elections.

mbar

So then anyone jumping in would just need the 2018 addon and they'd be up to date with all content correct? I've been thinking about reinstalling this.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mbar on May 10, 2018, 01:10:19 PM
So then anyone jumping in would just need the 2018 addon and they'd be up to date with all content correct? I've been thinking about reinstalling this.

No. You need the base game Power & Revolution. This is a separate game from the prior titles in the Geopolitical Sim series. The 2018 update gets applied to the base game. 

The way they release new titles and paid updates really sucks, as does the pricing...but, the games have drastically improved over the years and there is very little else like it out there.  The way it models political decision making and influence is pretty unique.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18