Modern Global Strategy Games - What's Available?

Started by Ian C, April 30, 2018, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

fabius

Have to say after being unimpressed with version 1 and 2; this version has really won me over.

Cons:
Military combat is very basic
Clunky

Pros
Unique 'run a modern country' experience.
Economy game really seems to hit the spot for it.
Internal politcs is a game in itself.
Definately way less buggy and stable now. Playable, but not perfect, try not to do too many economic decions in one week, and let the game settle before trade deals.

Humourous at times.
And I'm getting quite a sense of achievmnet from winning elections, foiling terroist plots at the last miute, truning a defecit around etc

So, in summary, don't judge this version on old versions. And much more the modern game feel than SP and Supreme Ruler were.

Ian C

#46
Quote from: mbar on May 10, 2018, 01:10:19 PM
So then anyone jumping in would just need the 2018 addon and they'd be up to date with all content correct? I've been thinking about reinstalling this.

Base Game + 2018 addon. Do NOT get the 2017 addon, all the features from that are included in the 2018 addon.



Quote from: fabius on May 10, 2018, 02:15:43 PM
Have to say after being unimpressed with version 1 and 2; this version has really won me over.

Cons:
Military combat is very basic
Clunky

Pros
Unique 'run a modern country' experience.
Economy game really seems to hit the spot for it.
Internal politcs is a game in itself.
Definately way less buggy and stable now. Playable, but not perfect, try not to do too many economic decions in one week, and let the game settle before trade deals.

Humourous at times.
And I'm getting quite a sense of achievmnet from winning elections, foiling terroist plots at the last miute, truning a defecit around etc

So, in summary, don't judge this version on old versions. And much more the modern game feel than SP and Supreme Ruler were.


I agree on all points. I wish the pricing could be lower but they own this particular niche.

fabius

Quote from: Ian C on May 10, 2018, 02:41:41 PM
Quote from: mbar on May 10, 2018, 01:10:19 PM
So then anyone jumping in would just need the 2018 addon and they'd be up to date with all content correct? I've been thinking about reinstalling this.

Base Game + 2018 addon. Do NOT get the 2017 addon, all the features from that are included in the 2018 addon.



Quote from: fabius on May 10, 2018, 02:15:43 PM
Have to say after being unimpressed with version 1 and 2; this version has really won me over.

Cons:
Military combat is very basic
Clunky

Pros
Unique 'run a modern country' experience.
Economy game really seems to hit the spot for it.
Internal politcs is a game in itself.
Definately way less buggy and stable now. Playable, but not perfect, try not to do too many economic decions in one week, and let the game settle before trade deals.

Humourous at times.
And I'm getting quite a sense of achievmnet from winning elections, foiling terroist plots at the last miute, truning a defecit around etc

So, in summary, don't judge this version on old versions. And much more the modern game feel than SP and Supreme Ruler were.


I agree on all points. I wish the pricing could be lower but they own this particular niche.

I was wondering how you're getting on.
Took me two years to get a plus budget with US, and even then took introducing 5% VAT. And the unions are very unhappy about it.

Ian C

Quote from: fabius on May 10, 2018, 03:05:47 PM

I was wondering how you're getting on.
Took me two years to get a plus budget with US, and even then took introducing 5% VAT. And the unions are very unhappy about it.

I'm playing the U.S. and created Value Added Tax at 1 percent, got the bill passed and now have $232 billion extra. I like the fine detail in the economy. Subsidize my most profitable industries and make more money.  The CIA tell me Ecuador sold a nuke to Syria so I spilled this to the UN and they voted for military action. Was about to send some naval forces over in the gulf but Qatar told me to get my forces out of their country within 3 weeks so I re-allocated them nearby.
The game appears to be the stablest yet. Lots of detail. Some laughable voice acting and English translation but it's very enjoyable and quite addictive. I still can't get the hang of election programs though. I played as the opposition in the UK and I thought I'd come up with 15 good election promises but my attempts sucked.

fabius

Quote from: Ian C on May 10, 2018, 03:52:18 PM
Quote from: fabius on May 10, 2018, 03:05:47 PM

I was wondering how you're getting on.
Took me two years to get a plus budget with US, and even then took introducing 5% VAT. And the unions are very unhappy about it.

I'm playing the U.S. and created Value Added Tax at 1 percent, got the bill passed and now have $232 billion extra. I like the fine detail in the economy. Subsidize my most profitable industries and make more money.  The CIA tell me Ecuador sold a nuke to Syria so I spilled this to the UN and they voted for military action. Was about to send some naval forces over in the gulf but Qatar told me to get my forces out of their country within 3 weeks so I re-allocated them nearby.
The game appears to be the stablest yet. Lots of detail. Some laughable voice acting and English translation but it's very enjoyable and quite addictive. I still can't get the hang of election programs though. I played as the opposition in the UK and I thought I'd come up with 15 good election promises but my attempts sucked.

Sounds like it's clicked for you this time.

I just made some research discoveries in tech that helps consumer goods and cars so I'm trying to stimulate those to cut import deficit.

Haven't played UK yet but read somebody saying it's a bit borked with unrealistic too much power going to smaller parties of the nations, does that sound it? If so I was thinking Gods and Spy to ban a couple of the smaller parties when I play UK.

That reminds me of some more pro's
Each country feels different.
Espionage is strong in this game.
Some of the characters are immersive. Like I hate the communist proletariat workers union boss now. Not just because he strikes again after I did my part of the deal, but he also has annoying voice.  :knuppel2:
Oh yes, the only game where I find the Newspaper has actually useful stories at times.

Ian C

Quote from: fabius on May 11, 2018, 06:34:25 AM

Sounds like it's clicked for you this time.

I just made some research discoveries in tech that helps consumer goods and cars so I'm trying to stimulate those to cut import deficit.

It has clicked definitely - and the new Space Program stuff is very well done.

QuoteHaven't played UK yet but read somebody saying it's a bit borked with unrealistic too much power going to smaller parties of the nations, does that sound it?

Not as far as I can see so far. I'm playing a new opposition game as leader of the main UK opposition Party and the current leaders popularity is down to zero, she got replaced and early electrons are starting. I discovered a scandal involving one of their politicians and I'm going to go public with it just before the elections. I just also figured out how to improve votes after I read the manual (ha!). Basically you target unions and other key figures, butter them up and make a few choice election promises. Also ordering the census poll (the big one) is well worth it as you can see exactly where you need to work on to get more votes.

Quote
If so I was thinking Gods and Spy to ban a couple of the smaller parties when I play UK.

I got this add-on and it's also useful to look 'under the hood' with. There are quite a lot of deep parameters there. It's a useful tool if you're roleplaying also as you can start wars on the fly and other stuff.

Quote
That reminds me of some more pro's
Each country feels different.
Espionage is strong in this game.

Yeah, the possibilities of playing different nations are very good. I'm thinking of running a small third world nation and trying to make it a winner. Or maybe one of the dictatorships. I got the modding tool and merged Haiti and the Dominican Republic together into the island of 'Tropico' and used the Tropico flag. The game works well with creating fictional nations. Lots of possibilities for scenarios. Looking forward to wasting a lot of time on this.

fabius

I've used to Gods and Spy mostly to look under the hood at some depth and make white peace deals either with me or two others when the engine borks war for unit trespassing.

Ha, I played for a week before I found we can click on the space program and tech tree

I did see where to do a poll. Will look for that next time. There's real depth to elections. Like afterwards I realised that I could have promised more with tax cuts and spending I will want to do anyway.

Have you seen where to click for paying off some debt?

Ian C


fabius

I read it but forgot. Will post when I find it or something about it

Jarhead0331

Is the God 'n Spy DLC really worth it? $12 bucks for a mod tool that should be part of the game or at least released for free is a tough pill to swallow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


OJsDad

Quote from: Ian C on May 11, 2018, 07:39:11 AM
I got the modding tool and merged Haiti and the Dominican Republic together into the island of 'Tropico' and used the Tropico flag. The game works well with creating fictional nations. Lots of possibilities for scenarios. Looking forward to wasting a lot of time on this.

Would you two quit yammering on about how great this is.  You're eroding my will power.  And posts like this do not help at all!!!!
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Ian C

#56
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 11, 2018, 09:39:17 AM
Is the God 'n Spy DLC really worth it? $12 bucks for a mod tool that should be part of the game or at least released for free is a tough pill to swallow.

It's not worth it unless you're a hardcore player.

The mod tool...

Without the mod tool you can't play any mods whatsoever.

No one should have to rely on premium DLC to play a mod in any game. Yes, Eversim milks its niche audience.

fabius

Gods and Spy worth it. Ah tough one in a way.
If you play the game much then yes. My take is that if I play a game a lot then I like the best experience as recreation time is a premium, so tend to get dlc for those games. G&S really helps when you think the game borks wars or something.
Like I kicked Syria butt for Iraq after getting UN intervention; but then they wouldn't give me a good trade. So I roleplayed a bit there thinking the pressure and deal after such intervention to save them would have got a good deal.

If you're gonna let the game soon gather dust, then no it's a bit pricey.

Grim.Reaper

For the military part of the game, do you have to control the units?  Or can you come up with a general plan and the AI handles the micro stuff?

bbmike

Quote from: OJsDad on May 11, 2018, 10:43:32 AM
Quote from: Ian C on May 11, 2018, 07:39:11 AM
I got the modding tool and merged Haiti and the Dominican Republic together into the island of 'Tropico' and used the Tropico flag. The game works well with creating fictional nations. Lots of possibilities for scenarios. Looking forward to wasting a lot of time on this.

Would you two quit yammering on about how great this is.  You're eroding my will power.  And posts like this do not help at all!!!!

Seriously. I bought the first version of this game and wrote it off forever as crap.
And you say this is all turn based?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak