Main Menu

Pacific Storm Allies

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2018, 01:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

With the disappointing release state of Victory at Sea Pacific, I started to search through my catalog for possible alternatives. I remember the Pacific Storm series being quite robust, although consisting of RTS and somewhat, dare I say, "arcade-ish" elements. I know the game had bugs at release which held it back somewhat, and that its probably quite dated by now, but upon closer examination, there seemed to be a very vibrant and thriving mod community that really ran with the game. The most significant mod has reached version 1.8.4 with 1.8.5 right around the corner. It appears to nearly touch on every aspect of the game. It weighs in at a staggering 10GB!

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/PacifcStormGamers/discussions/1/343788552534392259/

Quote
Hey everyone!

1.8 is finally here! It has been very long in the coming but I think the wait will be worth it. Over the past year and half I have spent countless hours working on this update. But it's not been just me, I recieved a large amount of help from all of the moderators here on the group in the building process. So I want to thank each of the moderators for your help and support.

I want to thank everyone here on the steam group for supporting me and for waiting patiently for the release of 1.8. But, enough said, let's get into the details of 1.8:



1.8 changelog:

-many new classes of ship
-many new graphic changes
-new shaders
-new historic campagin start
-increased heap and stack for exe
-increased stability of game
-relinked several registers in the game to help with the stack overflow ctds
-fixed small bugs (too small to list them all here)
-new scripts
-no installer (this wasn't popular for 1.7 so it is now removed)
-new soundtrack
-new intro video
-new base textures



PSA 1.8.1 Changelog:

-fixed formations
-fixed ship glitches
-fixed crashes


PSA 1.8.2 Changelog:

-fixed commanders
-fixed formations
-fixed ctds caused by formations
-fixed ctds caused by several ships
-minor script tweaks
-note: When starting you must manually move your crew to the ships/aircraft. After you create more ships this will be done automatically.



PSA 1.8.3 Changelog:

-fixed ctds caused by formations
-fixed some torpedo balance
-added basic batch launcher that allows you to dissable the mods folder and run vanilla PSA
-added formation types
-fixed some engine audio glitches
-added bump maped textures for
-fixed issue where you could not train troops fast enough to offset mortality

Sorry guys for the issues at release, but here is the new fixed version. Thank you all for being so patient and supportive in spite of the issues we encountered.


PSA 1.8.4 Changelog:

-fixed several poor skydomes
-fixed formation bug where you could not add aircraft to a formation
-fixed scripts forcing Japan to star war by 1942
-Buff: New York's armor has received a very large buff.
-Nerf: all Japan torpedo's have had their ranged reduced.
-changed the tactical map so that the "map objects" are no longer there


DL Link: https://www.pacificstormallies.net/pacific-storm-allies-1-8

I hope that all of you will enjoy the newest update for PSA. I again want to thank you all for being here and supporting me during the building process of this update. The best part of this group has been getting to meet you guys and to talk to you. So thank you, for the amazing 2 and half years I've been making these updates, it's all because of you guys.

Thanks, God Bless,
SINK THEM ALL!
WWJD

I re-installed the game last night and will apply the patch hopefully tonight. Its nice to have something to be excited about.







Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Rayfer

Started to watch the video then realized it's 3.5 hours long!  Need the 'Cliff Notes' version.

WallysWorld

I've looked into this patch before for the game and it almost convinced me to buy the game. But with my aging i7-920, I'm afraid it won't have the power to run the battles at a good frame rate. But the patch definitely looks impressive.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

RyanE

Let us know how it goes.  At $8, it looks like it might be a pretty good alternative to V@SP.

jomni

I never have gotten deep into this game.

Ian C

Despite the obvious huge amount of work spent on this patch it appears we have to guess how to install both patches and also guess if the 1.85 one is optional.


Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ian C on September 26, 2018, 09:53:01 AM
Despite the obvious huge amount of work spent on this patch it appears we have to guess how to install both patches and also guess if the 1.85 one is optional.

Its not a guess. Just unzip the patch directly into your PSA folder. That's it.

Also, it does not appear that 1.8.5 is out yet. I am running 1.8.4.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


ArizonaTank

I loved the concept of this game and its predecessor Pacific Storm.  Both games have a heavy emphasis on logistics...highly appropriate for WWII Pacific.

So I am excited to see this effort, and will definately wade back in.

But not certain they can fix the biggest problem I had with the game. I thought it was fatally flawed by sometimes dumb as a rock AI.

For example, I can remember the AI Japanese attacking Wake Island with a battle group of 20 or so surfaced submarines sailing into the Wake "horseshoe". It did not go well for them.

Some of the production values also were pretty funny...and ultimately hurt the experience. I assume these will be fixed by the patches.

But I have to admit I will miss my P-40s at Pearl Harbor yelling in a Russian accent; "This is the F!" when they get shot down.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

RyanE

I am going to start a new brand line of clothing and accessories called "This is the F!"

t-shirts, mugs, bumperstickers, etc.  I'll be rich.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Tuna

Yay, Mod downloads from a legit site, that aren't trying to spam you with adware and other malicious apps/sites!!!  O0

Jarhead0331

Here is a good overview of the game with the latest build of the mod...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JasonPratt

^^ That was pretty impressive!  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tuna

Very cool.. will check out, and maybe try this weekend.