Main Menu

ALEA JACTA EST

Started by Bismarck, August 20, 2012, 09:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MarkShot

Hmm ... I just finished watching the first two tutorial videos.  Really excellent stuff.  Complex games need all the spoon fed presentation they can get.  This is particularly true if you want to bring in new customers and not just carry forward the early customer base from the more basic releases.

I had loaded PON a while ago, but it seemed to be subliminally telling me between the 3-4 FPS that "you need to buy a new PC".

I think I will see if I can get a copy to check out before I pack up my PC.  The time period seems interesting.  The last similar period I looked at was Great Invasions, one of Phil's early designs based on the Pax Romana Engine.  I thought the game play concepts were quite interesting, but the engine was problematic.  AGE is far more elegant and mature.

(I got an entire archive DVD of titles [AACW, WIA, ROP, NCP, RUS, PON, ...] which except for the original BOA, I haven't played.  One of these days!  But I do want to load up AJE and take a quick look.)

W8taminute

Well I've joined the ranks of those who purchased AJE.  I noticed that the game is for sale on Gamersgate for 19.99 and directly from AGEOD for 24.99.  I decided to purchase directly from AGEOD for two reasons:


  • To show my support for this very good game company
  • To show my displeasure with Gamersgate for the order issues I've experienced in the past 6 months

I finished playing the tutorial and started the Marius/Pontus scenario.  I need to cozy up with the manual a bit before I continue playing but I like what I see so far.  The game feels like ACW with a splash of PrON.  Methinks I'm going to like this.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Huw the Poo

#137
Quote from: W8taminute on September 22, 2012, 07:16:28 PM
  • To show my displeasure with Gamersgate for the order issues I've experienced in the past 6 months

I haven't had any issues with them per se, but it irritates me that I can't just pay for purchases with my card, directly, and it pisses me off that the loyalty points expire.

MarkShot

Well, AGEOD pockets the most on direct purchases and can certainly use it.

Now, these services allow you to download your game multiple times. The truth is AGEOD is quite small and you would get another link to your installer if you accidentally lost it simply by sending an email.

Grim.Reaper

Ageod are good people to work with....I had pre ordered the game and received the demo file plus the patch to unlock.  I preferred to have a full release setup file like everyone else got today on release day.  I simply sent them a message and a short time later without question they sent me a link to the full install file.  Good service.  The other nice thing about buying directly from them is if you pre ordered, you got a bonus scenario.

Staggerwing

Grim, did your replacement full-install exe include the bonus or is that simply a matter of a serial for same? I'd prefer to have just one file for re-install as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 22, 2012, 08:40:47 PM
Grim, did your replacement full-install exe include the bonus or is that simply a matter of a serial for same? I'd prefer to have just one file for re-install as well.

Wow...did not even think about checking for that.  I just did and the bonus scenario is missing.  Never thought about it.  I have sent Ageod a message to see if a full install exists with it, but guessing not since it was a special.

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 22, 2012, 08:40:47 PM
Grim, did your replacement full-install exe include the bonus or is that simply a matter of a serial for same? I'd prefer to have just one file for re-install as well.

I just look at it as a patch, so I'll back it up & burn them together.  I believe the future updates will all "unlock" the pre-order install, too.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on September 22, 2012, 08:47:19 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 22, 2012, 08:40:47 PM
Grim, did your replacement full-install exe include the bonus or is that simply a matter of a serial for same? I'd prefer to have just one file for re-install as well.

I just look at it as a patch, so I'll back it up & burn them together.  I believe the future updates will all "unlock" the pre-order install, too.

Not a huge deal, just would have preferred a single file.

Nefaro

Some excellent explanations of AJE's supply system, which is a bit different this time around.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?25289-Game-mechanics-questions

tgb

Note to self: Just because barbarians aren't included in a scenario description, that doesn't mean you can leave Brittania undefended.  Dumbasstus.

MarkShot

Aargh!!!  I am probably not going to get to install my copy.  I guess it can wait.  (system migrations and shut downs begin this week)

son_of_montfort

Quote from: tgb on September 23, 2012, 06:50:12 PM
Note to self: Just because barbarians aren't included in a scenario description, that doesn't mean you can leave Brittania undefended.  Dumbasstus.

I remember him, but his full Roman name was Gaius Stupidus Asinus.

Still need to load this puppy up. Anyone take this to Kinkos to print out? I was wondering how much is cost.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

tgb

Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 23, 2012, 08:38:21 PM
Quote from: tgb on September 23, 2012, 06:50:12 PM
Note to self: Just because barbarians aren't included in a scenario description, that doesn't mean you can leave Brittania undefended.  Dumbasstus.

I remember him, but his full Roman name was Gaius Stupidus Asinus.

Still need to load this puppy up. Anyone take this to Kinkos to print out? I was wondering how much is cost.

I thought it was Biggus Dickus.

Why do you need to print the manual?  If you've ever played an Ageod game you know most of it already, and can jump to the rest.

Toonces

Just bought...downloading now.  Yeah, like I really needed yet another computer game.

I only bought it because I wanted to play Oblivion, but it asked me for the disk and I'm too lazy to paw through my stack of 200 CDs to find it.  Give me digital, or give me death I say!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs