FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)

Started by steve58, April 24, 2020, 04:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

TW: Shogun 2 will be free to keep from Monday, April 27th at 1pm EST to Friday, May 1st at 1pm EST. (assuming I did the TZ conversion correctly).

Article doesn't really say, so I'm assuming this is on Steam.  The one TW game I ever bought ::)


https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/04/24/total-war-shogun-2-will-be-free-for-keeps-next-week/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd


Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Martok

Fantastic!  If I didn't already own Shogun 2, I would definitely pick it up now.  :P 




Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2020, 04:33:36 PM
GET IT NOW STEVE58.

The best TW of them all.
You only say that because you haven't played Warhammer II. 




"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash

I already own it but maybe I'll get it again. Just to have 2. It's that good!  :D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2020, 04:33:36 PM
GET IT NOW STEVE58.

The best TW of them all.

Not to worry Mr Gus.  Its already in my Steam library.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on April 25, 2020, 03:25:59 PM
And I have played Twarhammer II...it vexes me.
It's supposed to.  >:D 


More seriously, though, I get what you're saying.  The WH games are simultaneously both simpler and more complex beasts than their historical counterparts.  I freely admit I myself am still a neophyte in many aspects. 

I still find WH2 a ton of fun, though -- the most I've had with a Total War game since Rome II. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

If I had more time with the lore I would probably enjoy it more.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Philippe

Anyone who doesn't have Shogun 2 should snap it up.  I've recently revisited several of the Total War games in the aftermath of Three Kingdoms, and I definitely don't care much for what they did with Rome II and Atilla (in spite of loving the subject matter), but Shogun 2 is a gem.

(And I really like Three Kingdoms, and can't wait for the bugs -- which aren't really all that numerous -- finally to get ironed out.  I'm addicted to watching Chinese soap operas on Amazon so I play with English subtitles and Chinese voice-overs on everything.  I also use two mods which give biographical background on the cast of characters).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Father Ted

I have nearly all the TW titles (excepting the WH malarkey), but the only one I played to completion was the first.  I hadn't seen the like before - turn-based strategy coupled with real-time tactical - and it hooked me, despite a complete antipathy toward the subject matter.  Thereafter my playtime time with the successive iterations probably decreased with an inverse square law, although some of the eras were interesting to me.

Basically, most game series are like TV drama series.  Every so often someone comes up with an innovative idea.  People buy/watch in great numbers and the critics love it.  So it gets a second series/game, and then a third.  But now it's not innovative, so what kept you watching during that first series has dissipated somewhat.

The TW games are the same thing in different skins.  Sure, they add new wrinkles to the gameplay, but Shogun 2 is really the same experience as Shogun, so after a few hours I'm just thinking I've been here before.  I don't want to single out just the TW games here - this is true of many franchises (for me at least).

steve58

Well, its 1pm ET, so it should be free, but the store page hasn't updated...yet.  Its showing free in all my Steam searches.  It should update after a while...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/201270/Total_War_SHOGUN_2/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

From one of the devs on Steam:

Sorry, folks - we're experiencing some delays in the deployment of this - please bear with us and we'll keep you updated!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)