Thank the maker! 'Star Wars Squadrons' leaked

Started by Gusington, June 12, 2020, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

I can purchase this experiment with confidence.

I feel a bit better now, since I have never played any space MP.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Favorite thing to do in the old X-Wing games while playing as a Reb, on engagement, I'd double up the front shields and ram some poor sod in a TIE just to drive home to the Impis, "I could shoot you.  However, I'd rather run you over."

Man, if they can get me XWvsTF 2020 and a robust mulitplayer thing to boot, then I'm sold.

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 21, 2020, 03:11:54 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 20, 2020, 06:12:29 PM
Ah. How have I never heard that term before? I feel ignorant.

It depends on how much space multiplayer you've done.   

The more simplified the flight model the worse the problem becomes too.  Getting in a 1v1 dogfight with ships of same class in BF2's Starfighter Assault is an exercise in utter frustration.

Space games like Elite solve this by having ships with wildly different maneuver ratings and the ability to turn off flight assist and go fully Newtonian.  Power pip management is also a thing, as putting pips to engines increases maneuverability.

Squadrons looks like it's using a bit of both those ideas, and as stated above, putting in ideas from the mini game.

So, yeah, just more confirmation that they're pushing for more sim like elements. 

EA seems to know this too.  In a couple of the print interviews the developers have said that they have no pipeline for DLC or any Live Service support.   Right now it's $40 and you get the game.  I'm sure if it's a success EA might reconsider that, but right now it seems like EA is treating this as a kind of experiment to see if people will really buy and play these types of games nowadays.

This is why Star Citizens flight model is so good. There are so many ways around the circle of death. This is space not ww2.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on June 22, 2020, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 21, 2020, 03:11:54 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 20, 2020, 06:12:29 PM
Ah. How have I never heard that term before? I feel ignorant.

It depends on how much space multiplayer you've done.   

The more simplified the flight model the worse the problem becomes too.  Getting in a 1v1 dogfight with ships of same class in BF2's Starfighter Assault is an exercise in utter frustration.

Space games like Elite solve this by having ships with wildly different maneuver ratings and the ability to turn off flight assist and go fully Newtonian.  Power pip management is also a thing, as putting pips to engines increases maneuverability.

Squadrons looks like it's using a bit of both those ideas, and as stated above, putting in ideas from the mini game.

So, yeah, just more confirmation that they're pushing for more sim like elements. 

EA seems to know this too.  In a couple of the print interviews the developers have said that they have no pipeline for DLC or any Live Service support.   Right now it's $40 and you get the game.  I'm sure if it's a success EA might reconsider that, but right now it seems like EA is treating this as a kind of experiment to see if people will really buy and play these types of games nowadays.

This is why Star Citizens flight model is so good. There are so many ways around the circle of death. This is space not ww2.

You read about all the flight model changes coming in 3.10? It's getting much better from what it already is...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Skoop

I know, that's why I'm not that excited for this as I'm getting all my space sim needs from star citizen.  If they add more sim type elements to SW squadrons, then cool, but with EA I always have low expectations so that I'm either surprised when it's good and not let down when it's not.

SirAndrewD

I'm still a bit cold on Star Citizen.  Need to try the latest build I guess.  I haven't dabbled with it since October.  I don't know why it hasn't grabbed me more. 

As for the models in Squadrons, I'm not expecting Elite, Star Citizen or In the Black and I don't think anyone should.  My expectations have been set more for an modern version of X-Wing and that's fine with me.  Adding a few cool Newtonian maneuvers is all I expect and as far as I think they should go.

I mean, let's be real.  Star Wars was The Dambusters in space.   It was inspired by that movie and footage of the Battle of Britain.   It absolutely should always start as WW2 Fighters in Space and go from there.   This is Flash Gordon, not The Expanse.  Get far off of that WW2 and pulp feel and you lose the heart of what makes it Star Wars. 

I'm appreciative that Motive seems to understand that and have been touting it.  I like both approaches, but this will scratch an itch for me that Elite and Star Citizen hasn't been able to.   
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

As a little kid I didn't comprehend why I enjoyed Star Wars space combat so much until I learned about the direct connection to WWII air combat.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 22, 2020, 04:03:32 PM

I mean, let's be real.  Star Wars was The Dambusters in space.   It was inspired by that movie and footage of the Battle of Britain.   It absolutely should always start as WW2 Fighters in Space and go from there.   This is Flash Gordon, not The Expanse.  Get far off of that WW2 and pulp feel and you lose the heart of what makes it Star Wars. 

I'm appreciative that Motive seems to understand that and have been touting it.  I like both approaches, but this will scratch an itch for me that Elite and Star Citizen hasn't been able to.

I'd read that it was 633 Squadron (or the other mosquito film) - where they're flying up a fjord to drop a bomb onto an inaccessible ledge whilst being pounded by flak.  Whichever it was (probably all three), the point still stands.  I imagine "realistic" space combat would be terribly counter-intuitive and very time-consuming.  I played a lot of RoF, but I think that was because I had some notion of how to fly IRL before I started.  Many people came to it expecting to be able to be the Red Baron or Biggles or Snoopy, or to be able to reenact the various movies, but left pretty quickly when they found it was actually a sim.

So I agree (from a slightly different direction):  to be successful, this game doesn't want to stray too far from "dogfighting - but in space".

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Father Ted on June 23, 2020, 02:43:47 PM
I'd read that it was 633 Squadron (or the other mosquito film) - where they're flying up a fjord to drop a bomb onto an inaccessible ledge whilst being pounded by flak.

The answer is yes.  He borrowed heavily from both.  He also cited Guns of Navarrone and Wings as influences. 

However, it was The Dam Busters that most inspired the actual play by play of the Death Star attack. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 22, 2020, 10:19:21 AM
Quote from: Destraex on June 22, 2020, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 21, 2020, 03:11:54 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 20, 2020, 06:12:29 PM
Ah. How have I never heard that term before? I feel ignorant.

It depends on how much space multiplayer you've done.   

The more simplified the flight model the worse the problem becomes too.  Getting in a 1v1 dogfight with ships of same class in BF2's Starfighter Assault is an exercise in utter frustration.

Space games like Elite solve this by having ships with wildly different maneuver ratings and the ability to turn off flight assist and go fully Newtonian.  Power pip management is also a thing, as putting pips to engines increases maneuverability.

Squadrons looks like it's using a bit of both those ideas, and as stated above, putting in ideas from the mini game.

So, yeah, just more confirmation that they're pushing for more sim like elements. 

EA seems to know this too.  In a couple of the print interviews the developers have said that they have no pipeline for DLC or any Live Service support.   Right now it's $40 and you get the game.  I'm sure if it's a success EA might reconsider that, but right now it seems like EA is treating this as a kind of experiment to see if people will really buy and play these types of games nowadays.

This is why Star Citizens flight model is so good. There are so many ways around the circle of death. This is space not ww2.

You read about all the flight model changes coming in 3.10? It's getting much better from what it already is...
I have not followed development but I did set my warthog up recently for it and am still missing a helluva lot of the complexity. There are just so many functions. It's a challenge to be sure. More so than flight simulators I would venture because of the schere number of axis and thruster combos.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Anguille

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 23, 2020, 04:50:28 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on June 23, 2020, 02:43:47 PM
I'd read that it was 633 Squadron (or the other mosquito film) - where they're flying up a fjord to drop a bomb onto an inaccessible ledge whilst being pounded by flak.

The answer is yes.  He borrowed heavily from both.  He also cited Guns of Navarrone and Wings as influences. 

However, it was The Dam Busters that most inspired the actual play by play of the Death Star attack. 



Fascinating!

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

#89
Quote from: Gusington on June 24, 2020, 10:02:10 AM
I gotta watch Dam Busters.

Watch 663 Squadron too.  It inspired the trench run concept and a lot of the countdown and briefing imagery. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback