Main Menu

Friday Bloody Friday

Started by FarAway Sooner, January 29, 2021, 01:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MengJiao

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 29, 2021, 03:04:09 PM
Tarkov, DCS and Hitman 3 for me.
And our ongoing Civ 6 PBEM.

  Maybe some DCS.  Maybe some HLL.  Definitely some World of Warships and boardgames.

ArizonaTank

Had a strange obsession with Far Cry New Dawn (got it on sale over the holiday)....its basically the previous Far Cry but this time with brash colors...but I am still enjoying it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Myrmidon

Nice song choice!

I continue with my multiplayer Dominions 5 games rolling along.  In between, shall be Wizards and Warlords, and probably firing up the newest version of Dwarf Fortress, which fixed a lot of the stress related bugs that would inevitably doom any fortress. 

Someday, I need to figure out how to get Shadow Empires working through Linux.... I'd really like to fire that one up again, and I'm too damn lazy to simply restart the CPU to load Windows. 

I've also got the temptation to slap Distant Worlds back on... seeing the released footage for DW2 has me wanting to scratch that itch once more. 

nelmsm

Well the wind is supposed to howl 30-40mph sustained and gusts to 60-70mph tomorrow so I think I'll skip the yard work and get caught up on my PBEM's and if I find some time to play after that I think I'll dig into Shadow Empire or maybe Flashpoint Campaign Red Storm.

airboy

Quote from: devoncop on January 29, 2021, 02:25:51 PM
Not tried the Bards Tale yet but the remastered Avernum series is perfectly playable on modern PC's  and all Spiderwebs newer games are clean and crisp and designed for Windows 10 which you can't say about a lot of old school games in this genre.

Queens Wish was only released in November I believe and is the first installment of a whole series of new games.

Writing in games is a much underrated skill in terms of immersion I feel.

Spiderweb nail it.

Queens Wish is the best one I've played.

I did a review of it at: https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2021/01/03/queens-wish-the-conqueror-review/


airboy

I've been in a dungeon mood - and it has not worked out well.  I tried Wizardry 7 - and on a bigger monitor the pixelization was too much.  Then played Wizardry 8 - and remembered how slow the combat was and hit the first "the leveling system for monsters really sucks" part and decided to quit.

I'm now trying Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition which I've never played and hope that works.

Plus, I'm writing a review this weekend.

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on January 29, 2021, 02:45:19 PM
...

Get the Car Inspection Sticker sounds like the least amusing game ever, except for maybe 'Get the Gonorrhea Test.'

I agree wholeheartedly.  Don't think I want to play 'Get the Gonorrhea Test'.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Jupiter Hell is whooping me sideways.  I reached a major boss (possibly the final boss) and he mopped the floor with me.  I started a new character right away but got stopped just outside the gates of Hell.  Once you get a sense of effective tactics and how to take down tougher enemies, the RNG aspects are quite manageable and you can reliably get a character into the late game in 60-90 minutes...... assuming you're not moving too fast and walking into bullets before you realize you're being shot.   #:-)

On the other end of the roguelike spectrum, I've been slowly learning how to get a character out of the early game of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.  This game, being a huge open-world survival sandbox, is a bit tedious in comparison.  It easily takes 5-10 hours of progress just to get out of the "early game" phase and get reasonably well-equipped with the skills you need.  Losing all that can be frustrating, but it never feels like total bullshit.  Closest I can think of to a "total bullshit" moment was playing a map I lovingly called "Downtown Killville," since I maximized the city density settings and minimized the forest/natural area settings.  This map was a hellhole and every street corner I rounded would turn up about three dozen hungry looking zombies, and some zombie dogs and feral runners right on my tail.  I went into the city for supplies and ran out of stamina just trying to extract myself back to where I spawned.  Stamina is basically your lifeline in C:DDA, unless you're really lucky or have a contingency up your sleeve for the exact situation you're in.

I might do some wargaming at some point.  Armored Brigade has been my most recent groggy timesink.  The AI isn't great but it's still good fun to generate a battle as the attacker and spar with some AI commie defenders.   :knuppel2:
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

devoncop

Quote from: airboy on January 29, 2021, 05:58:55 PM
Quote from: devoncop on January 29, 2021, 02:25:51 PM
Not tried the Bards Tale yet but the remastered Avernum series is perfectly playable on modern PC's  and all Spiderwebs newer games are clean and crisp and designed for Windows 10 which you can't say about a lot of old school games in this genre.

Queens Wish was only released in November I believe and is the first installment of a whole series of new games.

Writing in games is a much underrated skill in terms of immersion I feel.

Spiderweb nail it.

Queens Wish is the best one I've played.

I did a review of it at: https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2021/01/03/queens-wish-the-conqueror-review/

Cheers Airboy

Having watched the first 15 mins of a playthrough of Queens Wish on You Tube I had already thought it would be my next purchase....the wastrel second son of the Queen being sent off unwillingly into danger appealed to me (as did the  wry humour ), and your review reinforced that decision.

Ian
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Anguille

One of the greatest songs of the 80's. Amazing music and real political message...in the 80's, musicians were engaged politically and were trying to change the world for the better. Now?

For some unknown reason to me, i spent a lot (really a lot) of hours (anpit 50) playing Endless Space last week and had really fun with it. I'll play some more this weekend and now some Star Wars Starfighter as well.

Gusington

Fun fact: U2's War album featured a lot of electric violin, including in parts of Sunday Bloody Sunday. I think it was a session musician who sat in and played it. When I was a kid the idea of an electric violin blew my young mind.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 30, 2021, 10:24:26 AM
Fun fact: U2's War album featured a lot of electric violin, including in parts of Sunday Bloody Sunday. I think it was a session musician who sat in and played it. When I was a kid the idea of an electric violin blew my young mind.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


airboy

^ Hope you and the kids are feeling better.

Gusington

I really hope that gif is you in your off hours, JH. Epic!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd