Main Menu

ALEA JACTA EST

Started by Bismarck, August 20, 2012, 09:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

#180
I dunno.  I just can't relate how it is to a relative newcomer since I've been playing the AGE games off & on for years.   What seems simple drag & drop to me can be confusing to others. *shrug*

So when if I said it's pretty easy to get into, keep in mind that I'm measuring it by the others which a number of people find confusing.

The game itself has a rather immersive feel to it IMO but that could just be because I always look forward to an ancients setting, and the quality AGE interface artwork always adds a nice flavor.

mikeck

I love AGEOD games. That said AJE is my favorite with the exception of Rise of Prussia. To me era of RoP is fascinating and it is the perfect balance. You get to organize corps and armies (which is lacking in AJE) and get to recruit and pick events like im AJE. It does lack the province decisions of AJE though. Like is said before Gus, if you pick one, stick with it and learn it...you can then play all of them.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

I'd love to see one covering the long era of European wars from the late 1600s through 1700s.   PON-light prequel?   :D

.. and more ancients, of course.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on October 08, 2012, 03:33:07 PM
How are the AGEOD veterans here liking AJE compared to previous releases?

I've played them all.  I would have preferred RUS, but it never quite worked at least when I was playing it.

So, it seems like the best AGEOD game so far.  I'm hoping for some expansions: Vandals, Justinian, Heraclitus, lots of Persians, Islam,
Pepin the Short, Charles Martel etc.

Gusington

Best AGEOD so far??

I too hope for a Fall of the Roman Empire module/expansion...Vandals would be choice. As would Goths. And Persians.

The fall is always more interesting than the rise for me.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

lol...you should be playing my game...it's definitely the fall of Rome.

I would be willing to give my save to someone. It'd be interesting to see how they fare compared to me...see if Rome can be salvaged
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Gusington

I am positive that my first foray into this won't result in a win for me either. With so many not really knowing what they are doing yet, I know I'll be lost too. I am Just hoping for the patience to soldier on once I start.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

I was going to review this a month ago but was pulled off track by editorial demands so many of you now have more experience with AJE. Which scenario would make for the best review? Thanks.
Jim Cobb

mikeck

The mithradic war  scenario is good. Romans vs Pontus in the east and the Sertorious rebels in Spain. Just stay away from the Spartacus scenario....it is much too limited.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

besilarius

If anyone is curious about the background to the Mithradatic war, here is an excellent study:

http://www.amazon.com/MITHRIDATES-GREAT-Romes-Indomitable-Enemy/dp/1844158349
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Nefaro

The official 1.01 update was just released today.

Stick a fork in it, 'cause it's done!

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?26981-AJE-Officiial-Patch-1-01

Bison

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm overwelmed with the number of awesome wargames that have come out recently.

Gusington

My WWI fixation has overode my ancient Rome obsession. For now.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Bison on November 16, 2012, 05:09:22 PM
GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm overwelmed with the number of awesome wargames that have come out recently.

+1
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."