Main Menu

Friday Bloody Friday

Started by FarAway Sooner, January 29, 2021, 01:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Yskonyn

Quote from: al_infierno on January 29, 2021, 07:07:17 PM
Jupiter Hell is whooping me sideways.  I reached a major boss (possibly the final boss) and he mopped the floor with me.  I started a new character right away but got stopped just outside the gates of Hell.  Once you get a sense of effective tactics and how to take down tougher enemies, the RNG aspects are quite manageable and you can reliably get a character into the late game in 60-90 minutes...... assuming you're not moving too fast and walking into bullets before you realize you're being shot.   #:-)

On the other end of the roguelike spectrum, I've been slowly learning how to get a character out of the early game of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.  This game, being a huge open-world survival sandbox, is a bit tedious in comparison.  It easily takes 5-10 hours of progress just to get out of the "early game" phase and get reasonably well-equipped with the skills you need.  Losing all that can be frustrating, but it never feels like total bullshit.  Closest I can think of to a "total bullshit" moment was playing a map I lovingly called "Downtown Killville," since I maximized the city density settings and minimized the forest/natural area settings.  This map was a hellhole and every street corner I rounded would turn up about three dozen hungry looking zombies, and some zombie dogs and feral runners right on my tail.  I went into the city for supplies and ran out of stamina just trying to extract myself back to where I spawned.  Stamina is basically your lifeline in C:DDA, unless you're really lucky or have a contingency up your sleeve for the exact situation you're in.

I might do some wargaming at some point.  Armored Brigade has been my most recent groggy timesink.  The AI isn't great but it's still good fun to generate a battle as the attacker and spar with some AI commie defenders.   :knuppel2:

Is there a non-ASCII version of Catalysm around? Seems like an interesting game, but I really cannot handle those ASCII graphics.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jamus34

#31
Quote from: Gusington on January 30, 2021, 10:44:18 AM
I really hope that gif is you in your off hours, JH. Epic!

Only when he is staying at Hotel Coral Essex
Insert witty comment here.

airboy

Quote from: al_infierno on January 29, 2021, 07:07:17 PM
Jupiter Hell is whooping me sideways.  I reached a major boss (possibly the final boss) and he mopped the floor with me.  I started a new character right away but got stopped just outside the gates of Hell.  Once you get a sense of effective tactics and how to take down tougher enemies, the RNG aspects are quite manageable and you can reliably get a character into the late game in 60-90 minutes...... assuming you're not moving too fast and walking into bullets before you realize you're being shot.   #:-)

On the other end of the roguelike spectrum, I've been slowly learning how to get a character out of the early game of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.  This game, being a huge open-world survival sandbox, is a bit tedious in comparison.  It easily takes 5-10 hours of progress just to get out of the "early game" phase and get reasonably well-equipped with the skills you need.  Losing all that can be frustrating, but it never feels like total bullshit.  Closest I can think of to a "total bullshit" moment was playing a map I lovingly called "Downtown Killville," since I maximized the city density settings and minimized the forest/natural area settings.  This map was a hellhole and every street corner I rounded would turn up about three dozen hungry looking zombies, and some zombie dogs and feral runners right on my tail.  I went into the city for supplies and ran out of stamina just trying to extract myself back to where I spawned.  Stamina is basically your lifeline in C:DDA, unless you're really lucky or have a contingency up your sleeve for the exact situation you're in.

I might do some wargaming at some point.  Armored Brigade has been my most recent groggy timesink.  The AI isn't great but it's still good fun to generate a battle as the attacker and spar with some AI commie defenders.   :knuppel2:

Are you playing Cataclysm on your phone or a PC?

Toonces

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2021, 03:20:13 PM
This weekend is going to suck...everyone in the house is sick (not COVID) and my wife is working a 24-hour shift on Saturday. Sick baby + sick 7 year old + sick Jarhead + no wifey = no gaming.

Everyone else enjoy.

Your pain makes everything look better here.

:P
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Quote from: nelmsm on January 29, 2021, 05:42:16 PM
Well the wind is supposed to howl 30-40mph sustained and gusts to 60-70mph tomorrow so I think I'll skip the yard work and get caught up on my PBEM's and if I find some time to play after that I think I'll dig into Shadow Empire or maybe Flashpoint Campaign Red Storm.

I was wondering how some of you guys on the east coast are making out.*  We had two back to back really strong storms here in SoCal; the last one was a real bear.  They typically only get worse as they move east.  I had good portions of the roof of my storage shed rip off and all sorts of debris in my backyard.  I must have pulled 10 pounds of leaves out of my pool.

*In my surfer's mind there is only east coast/west coast.  That weird middle part...just cut it in half and figure out which coast you're closer to...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Predicted to get about a foot of snow from the storm coming in this time. It was 7 degrees F when I took the dog out at 8am this morning.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Yeah, I complain, but really we got 50 knots of wind and a few inches of rain.  It's 60 and brilliantly sunny today. 

Kinda different than that pesky "snow."
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on January 30, 2021, 01:07:38 PM
Predicted to get about a foot of snow from the storm coming in this time. It was 7 degrees F when I took the dog out at 8am this morning.

Yesterday when I got up at 7:00am it was 20.  When I walked Panzer it was 27 and quite windy.

Now I feel fortunate!

Thanks Gus!

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2021, 03:20:13 PM
This weekend is going to suck...everyone in the house is sick (not COVID) and my wife is working a 24-hour shift on Saturday. Sick baby + sick 7 year old + sick Jarhead + no wifey = no gaming.

Everyone else enjoy.

Sorry you are "Med Down".  I feel for you. I hope the weekend goes well for you.  If the kid isn't feeling too bad, try going 2 out of 3 with him in "Mario Karts"  That is always a great "Pick me up" game for both parents and kids. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

FarAway Sooner

Alternately, when your kids get a little older, you can just sleep in and let them play Mario Kart all morning.  That's what I did this morning. 

The wife has been working 60+ hour weeks for about 3 months now and I've effectively been a single dad the last two weeks (includes a full-time job on my side and one child in eLearning!), so I decided today was a day to be a slacker parent!  First world problems, all of these...

Sir Slash

Ditto JH, get well soon.  I think if Jar had an Electric Violin it would have a bayonet mount on it. Just saying.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

Sir Slash, would it have been an Electric Violin with an Electric Bayonet, or just a plain Manual Bayonet?

Yskonyn

I consider him the type who kills a boar with his bare hands when out hunting. So definitely a classic bayonet. The electric violin is just to cover up his lack of any finesse that would be needed to play an acoustic one.  :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

Forecast has changed to between 1 and 2 feet of snow :/
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Thanks guys. Really feel like shit. We all have it and I think we just keep passing it back-and-forth.

As suspected, no gaming today, but maybe I'll be able to sneak a little in tomorrow...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18