Main Menu

Surfin’ FRIDAY!

Started by Jarhead0331, February 05, 2021, 07:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

If time permits, I'll be checking out some of the Steam Festival demos (that expire Feb 9).  I already gave up on The Commission 1920 because I could not figure out what the h3ll I was doing or what was going on....not such a great demo.  Will be checking out Slipways and Sphere Flying Cities, but hopefully mostly Victory at Sea Ironclads.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

nelmsm

Well answering PBEM turns of which I always seem to have too many.  Playtesting three different JTS titles but those are part of the PBEM.  Started a Flashpoint Campaign: Red Storm game last weekend and it's bugging the crap out of me as I haven't figured out how to win the Bridge Too Far scenario yet, so more time invested there.  Hopefully some Fields of Glory: Medieval as well.

Silent Disapproval Robot


Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GroggyGrognard

I'm pretty fried from work this past week, so no heavily involved wargaming for me this weekend. I plan on playing more Diablo 3 with my ruthless female barbarian. Other than that, maybe some Lost Cities: The Card Game with the girlfriend.


Stay safe, Grogs!


Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Toonces

^ I was going to actually ask a question related to that.

I'm completely and utterly exhausted.  I'm looking through my game collection over and over, trying to find something that will be fun, but won't burn too much brain.  I was starting to think I'm the only one like that.

Honestly, when I get in this mood I usually just default to Poker Night at the Inventory.  However, I'm thinking of maybe just booting up Skyrim and jumping in wherever I left off.

Something like Carrier Battles 4 or CK2, or even Cold Waters just feels like way, way too much effort right now.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^Not at all. I'm in my study right now hiding from all the estrogen in my house, blasting Nazis in Wolfenstein: Youngblood, because Order of Battle: Red Steel will take up too much brain.

AND LOVING IT
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 04:14:27 PM
Can you give any more details on Bard's Tale, CJ? I need a new RPG.

The Bard's Tale is a very old RPG it came out in 1985.  It uses a first person view, and its more a party based system. There were three in the series - 1- Tales of the Unknown, 2- The Destiny Knight 3- Thief of Fate. It was recently remastered by inXile in 2018. But it was very innovative for its time, graphically it was impressive. There was a massive maze like town to explore, dungeons, sewers, towers etc.  It's a good RPG if you just want to dungeon crawl.

I remember reading the ads in my Dad's computer magazines when I was a kid. So when I found it on Game Pass I figured why not give it a shot.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/843260/The_Bards_Tale_Trilogy/

It's also on GOG.com too. 

What I like about it is that the remastered version improves so much, its mouse and keyboard driven. So it makes it a bit easier to start out with. You can click on a button for the game manual and it's all spelled out.  There's even a cloth map to look at. They added features such as automap, click for spell to cast (mostly like non-combat spells) click for a song for the bard to sing. etc.  Bards are unique in this that their songs are magical spells. They only require a drink to be able to sing them. So you can stop at any of the many inns in the town (or if you bought a wineskin at a inn) to get a drink and the bard can sing. Their songs act as buffs for your party. 

There is a legacy version- which the gameplay is more like the original. No auto saves, No saving unless at the Adventurer's Guild, and NO automap. I'm just playing the remastered version.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

^I played the original on my C-64 around 1987! Never played any of the others. But it sounds like the remastered version may hold the same kind of magic.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

God those were good old days.   :dreamer:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

STAR CITIZEN - New Xeno Threat missions. Tried one this afternoon actually.
Steel Division 2
Company of Heroes 2

Possibly some Command if I get time.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 10:06:56 PM
^Not at all. I'm in my study right now hiding from all the estrogen in my house, blasting Nazis in Wolfenstein: Youngblood, because Order of Battle: Red Steel will take up too much brain.

AND LOVING IT

I should have bought that Stalingrad and Vodka game.  That is exactly what I need tonight.

Alright, I'm going to make that a priority for tomorrow.   :P
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 08:36:26 PM
:-[

  Pretty much the usual: boardgames, and War on the sea (replaces World of Warships) and maybe some HLL.

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 11:27:46 PM
^I played the original on my C-64 around 1987! Never played any of the others. But it sounds like the remastered version may hold the same kind of magic.

I got BT3 for the C64.

Still like that style as it makes the combat somewhat strategic while not extending battles out into 20-30 minute tactical slogfests (I'm looking at you Pool of Radiance). The early D&D games were notorious for long battles due to low level 2nd Ed characters being absolute dogshit and taking 3-4 combat rounds just to land a hit.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

I remember the original Bard's Tale being so...mysterious. The game gave you just enough info in the writing and graphics and imagination took over from there. I'm probably too old and jaded, and games too far advanced, to ever get that same exact feeling again :/
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd