What wargamer site to go for in depth reviews?

Started by apoll, March 11, 2021, 02:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

apoll

Hi, I really dislike the direction the Wargamer site is going. I used to go there regularly for in depth reviews; now I have some little face icon, awful orange banners, fluff pieces barely fit to be called 'reviews' and a really wide definition of what constitutes a 'wargame' that simply does not compute with what I think computer wargaming is about (ie; no magic orcs, bright green elves or barely relevant fantasy firebolts. In short, a more traditional definition of a wargame.)

I just get annoyed with those crazy funster icons and the lack of substance. So, ditching that site. But where now do I now go for serious reviews of more traditional definitions of computer war games? Does anyone have some recommendations? I figure if anyone has some recommendations, it'd be here.

Thank you in advance.

Apoll

Destraex

The wargamer was purchased off matrix games right?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

apoll

I'm not sure. Wargamer.com. Used to be good but changed in line with sister site, Strategy gamer, and just in my view, turned into a site that made quantity over quality gaming journalism its core mantra and started pumping out as much light fluff news (not reviews) on anything that could remotely be construed as the title 'wargame'. Doesn't deserve the title Wargamer; maybe fantasy/RPG/miscellaneous gaming news.

So, where do we go now to get good quality reviews of genuine computer war games? This site has quality comments of course, but just where can we get in-depth reviews of games such as Command, WitE2 (when it comes out), that sort of thing?

Grateful views.

Apoll

devoncop

I dont think PCGamesN is too bad (see their review of the latest Total War Three Kingdoms expansion for example on its front page)  but instinctively I defer not to professional "journalists" who may or may not be influenced  by game makers but to grognards whose opinions I respect on this forum.

Sometimes " the madness of crowds" is far saner than what is laughably called games journalism  ( yes Rock Paper Shotgun I am looking at you)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Rayfer

This site is obviously a good place to get game feedback from hardcore wargamers.  Otherwise, I use YouTube a lot for reviews....two names come to mind but there are others: dastactics and thehistoricalgamer.  They do excellent 'let's play' videos which as also like reviews.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Rayfer on March 11, 2021, 08:07:41 AM
Otherwise, I use YouTube a lot for reviews....two names come to mind but there are others: dastactics and thehistoricalgamer. 

Lately I find myself spending more time on Twitch.  The names you mention are also present over there and with a higher frequency then on their YT channels.

Other Twitch channels I could recommend : StrategyGamingDojo / SlitherineGroup / KushanGaming / Gamer_1745

Rayfer

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 11, 2021, 08:30:45 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on March 11, 2021, 08:07:41 AM
Otherwise, I use YouTube a lot for reviews....two names come to mind but there are others: dastactics and thehistoricalgamer. 

Lately I find myself spending more time on Twitch.  The names you mention are also present over there and with a higher frequency then on their YT channels.

Other Twitch channels I could recommend : StrategyGamingDojo / SlitherineGroup / KushanGaming / Gamer_1745

LOL....can't believe I'm going to admit this, but I'm going to be 70 soon...I don't even know what Twitch is.   :-[ :-\ ???

Pete Dero

Quote from: Rayfer on March 11, 2021, 10:02:37 AM
LOL....can't believe I'm going to admit this, but I'm going to be 70 soon...I don't even know what Twitch is.   :-[ :-\ ???

https://www.twitch.tv/

It is like YT but more focused on live streaming (all streams can be watched again later).
Initially only for games but lately there is more activity in the 'just chatting' category.
Owned by Amazon.

hellfish6


solops

There is no place left to get a good review since The Wargamer blew up several years ago. I have been relying on these forums for my game info with as much or better luck than I ever had with reviews. I remember when I had a subscription to The Wargamer magazine... the mailman brought real excitement! Games were few and far between, compared to now. The good old days...games have come a long way for both better and worse.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Rayfer

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 11, 2021, 10:16:15 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on March 11, 2021, 10:02:37 AM
LOL....can't believe I'm going to admit this, but I'm going to be 70 soon...I don't even know what Twitch is.   :-[ :-\ ???

https://www.twitch.tv/

It is like YT but more focused on live streaming (all streams can be watched again later).
Initially only for games but lately there is more activity in the 'just chatting' category.
Owned by Amazon.

Thanks PD....I'll check it out.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: devoncop on March 11, 2021, 07:02:22 AM
I dont think PCGamesN is too bad (see their review of the latest Total War Three Kingdoms expansion for example on its front page)  but instinctively I defer not to professional "journalists" who may or may not be influenced  by game makers but to grognards whose opinions I respect on this forum.

Sometimes " the madness of crowds" is far saner than what is laughably called games journalism  ( yes Rock Paper Shotgun I am looking at you)

PCGamesN is the one that now owns Wargamer and messed it up to begin with.

MengJiao

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 11, 2021, 08:30:45 AM

Lately I find myself spending more time on Twitch.  The names you mention are also present over there and with a higher frequency then on their YT channels.

Other Twitch channels I could recommend : StrategyGamingDojo / SlitherineGroup / KushanGaming / Gamer_1745

  Twitch sounds like a good idea, but my enjoyment of games is pretty reflective so I really don't have much choice but to buy anything that sounds even remotely good and then suffer (or return!  a wonderful thing about steam).  Sometimes I think playing a game that annoys you for a half-hour before you return it is kind of refreshing -- at least you appreciate the games you like a little more after some less-than-fun experiences.

  On the other hand, I don't think most gamers have my idea of fun so it's kind of pointless for me to review things -- the best I can do helpfully is to put up screenshots and small narratives.  I sort of can't believe more people here don't play HLL,  Maybe its my fault.  I have to say after some wild fighting last night -- its a great game and completely kicks me out of any attempt to reflect on the messy violence it wierdly portrays in a mesmerizing way.  Kind of hard to capture that all in screenshots and small narratives, I guess.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MengJiao on March 11, 2021, 01:21:46 PM
I sort of can't believe more people here don't play HLL,  Maybe its my fault.  I have to say after some wild fighting last night -- its a great game and completely kicks me out of any attempt to reflect on the messy violence it wierdly portrays in a mesmerizing way.  Kind of hard to capture that all in screenshots and small narratives, I guess.

Because it is exclusively a multi-player experience with no real single player content. Wargamers by nature are very anti-social and do not like relying on others to contribute to their gaming experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


devoncop

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on March 11, 2021, 12:48:57 PM
Quote from: devoncop on March 11, 2021, 07:02:22 AM
I dont think PCGamesN is too bad (see their review of the latest Total War Three Kingdoms expansion for example on its front page)  but instinctively I defer not to professional "journalists" who may or may not be influenced  by game makers but to grognards whose opinions I respect on this forum.

Sometimes " the madness of crowds" is far saner than what is laughably called games journalism  ( yes Rock Paper Shotgun I am looking at you)

PCGamesN is the one that now owns Wargamer and messed it up to begin with.


Thanks for that Captain....ownership and editorial control  these days are anything but clear I am afraid.

I just thought the particular review of the Total War DLC was reasonable.

The problem with a lot of the so called review sites these days is they are  dominated by Japanese games, hentai graphics  and ARPG's which I have little time for.

If you like arcade games...... which I doubt you do then no doubt they are ideal🙄
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games