What wargamer site to go for in depth reviews?

Started by apoll, March 11, 2021, 02:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

devoncop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 11, 2021, 01:50:01 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 11, 2021, 01:21:46 PM
I sort of can't believe more people here don't play HLL,  Maybe its my fault.  I have to say after some wild fighting last night -- its a great game and completely kicks me out of any attempt to reflect on the messy violence it wierdly portrays in a mesmerizing way.  Kind of hard to capture that all in screenshots and small narratives, I guess.

Because it is exclusively a multi-player experience with no real single player content. Wargamers by nature are very anti-social and do not like relying on others to contribute to their gaming experience.


100% correct in my case. JH.

I make the average hermit look like a social butterfly when it comes to wargaming.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 11, 2021, 01:50:01 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 11, 2021, 01:21:46 PM
I sort of can't believe more people here don't play HLL,  Maybe its my fault.  I have to say after some wild fighting last night -- its a great game and completely kicks me out of any attempt to reflect on the messy violence it wierdly portrays in a mesmerizing way.  Kind of hard to capture that all in screenshots and small narratives, I guess.

Because it is exclusively a multi-player experience with no real single player content. Wargamers by nature are very anti-social and do not like relying on others to contribute to their gaming experience.

  Right, so no amount of reviewing would make any difference.

apoll

Ok. Thank you everyone for your comments and ideas. As I said, this site is a great source of views; I will also check out those two names for YT reviews.

Apoll

Sir Slash

Jar just described me to perfection. How does he know so much about me? Hold-on, I'll just go over to those 2 Black Cars that're always parked across the street and ask one of them.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 13, 2021, 10:20:12 AM
Jar just described me to perfection. How does he know so much about me? Hold-on, I'll just go over to those 2 Black Cars that're always parked across the street and ask one of them.  :o

Brothers from a different mother.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


The_Admiral

I have a few suggestions. There is a wealth of older and newer players out there who popped up over the last year. They all complement each other, and the main advantage I see in this is that I never get bored.

I will just leave the URLs here. Enjoy!

http://tallyhocorner.com

https://letstalkaboutwargames.wordpress.com

https://strategyandwargaming.com

https://strategyfrontgaming.com/

https://avidwargamer.com/

Plenty of reading out there for you gentlemen :)

demjansk1942

Admiral, thanks for posting those links, very good websites

Michael Dorosh

Videogamegeek had the potential to be good but I don't think there is enough critical mass in terms of users providing content.

Father Ted

Quote from: demjansk1942 on March 14, 2021, 06:41:19 AM
Admiral, thanks for posting those links, very good websites

Yes, thanks for that Admiral - I wasn't aware of any of those

apoll

Admiral, thank you very much! Didn't have a clue about theses. Exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate it.

Apoll

The_Admiral

You're welcome! Happy to help chaps!  O0

Also allow me to point you to some podcasts which will be, literally, very much in-depth indeed due to their mere nature (that is talking one hour or more about one topic, or even one single game).

Single Malt Strategy
https://www.spreaker.com/user/single_malt_strategy

Three Moves Ahead
https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/

A third one of course would be the Let's Talk about Wargames piece, mentioned above, which is available on their website too.
https://www.talkshoe.com/show/let-s-talk-about-wargames

A lot of other wargame-centric podcasts exist of course, but these three are more often than not dedicated to the videogame medium. That's the perfect format for morning commute or drivin', and there's a lot of ground covered over the years. Have fun!

Cheers!

Toonces

I would just like to point out (as someone who has not done this) that there is no reason, if you feel compelled, that you can't write and submit a review to this site.

Speaking for myself, I can say unequivocally that I see a game on Steam, read the Steam reviews, and then immediately come on Grogheads to see what the GH crowd is saying.  Almost 100% of the time I can agree with the GH crowd sentiment. 

There is no reason why we can't support our own and write our own reviews for everyone else.  To some extent we do that in the forums, but if you ever wanted to get your name in shiny lights on the front page of a website, with the cash and hooker bonuses inherent therein, this is the place to do it. *

* no booze or hookers may be forthcoming
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

#27
I listen to single malt sometimes. Great podcast, but sometimes the language is a little hard to listen to. I assume this is because they are using single malt to power the podcast :)

A little off topic, but thinking of podcasts, there is a great ancient history podcast as well called Ancient Warfare Magazine podcast. These three or four article writers (one is a re-enactor) for the mag get together and do 40 mins or so of rambling on a subject. It goes back years. They cover things like whether Romans used loose or closed formations etc. ...

http://thehistorynetwork.org/category/podcasts/ancient-warfare-magazine/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Per Toonces' last post, that is exactly how I got involved with the original Wargamer almost 20 years ago. They put a call out for writers, I replied, and good ol' Jim Zabek actually answered. And here I am, still waiting for the hookers he promised.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on March 21, 2021, 10:14:46 AM
Per Toonces' last post, that is exactly how I got involved with the original Wargamer almost 20 years ago. They put a call out for writers, I replied, and good ol' Jim Zabek actually answered. And here I am, still waiting for the hookers he promised.

Me too. That was in 2006.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18