Main Menu

Age of Empires IV

Started by Greybriar, February 17, 2018, 07:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Greybriar

Relic Entertainment has announced Age of Empires IV with this new trailer:


Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bbmike

#1
Bring it on!  O0

[edit] Oh bloody hell, I read that as Age of Wonders IV. Never mind.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

That trailer has been around for some time already hasn't it?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

#3
Arise ye olde thread...

Release date is October 28.  $59.99

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466860/Age_of_Empires_IV/



Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Looking forward to it muchly 😎 - I wonder of it will pull me away from the definitive editions of the updated earlier games...except for AoEIII, which never really clicked for me.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

#5
Out now, fairly positive reviews so far.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466860/Age_of_Empires_IV/

Also available on GamePass.
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Gusington

I'll be picking it up as soon as it hits that sweet price point of 25% off the original price.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Yeah $60 is a bit steep.  However I'm several beers deep, and so I'll take a peep.   O0

I realized that started to rhyme halfway through so I dove into the deep..... end..... that one fell apart a bit  O:-)
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Gusington

^Hahaha - *ahem* - anyway - post impressions! It's a forgone conclusion that I will get it, the question is how long can I hold out for. I still have so much content to get through in the AoEII Definitive Edition.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Too expensive for me. But will get it when it comes down to $20 or so. Here it's $100 currently on steam.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

#10
My first impressions are quite strong.  The graphics and presentation are nice, colorful without being cartoony - reminds me a bit of Medieval 2 Total War units.  They've returned 100% to the AoE 2 formula with some small changes, most notable you construct special unique "Wonder"-like buildings called Landmarks to advance to a new age, which I like.  I always found the Wonder system and the Age system to be a bit clunky in the old games, so I like that they mashed them together and made them a bit more manageable.

The biggest difference I'm noticing is that the civilization bonuses are quite a bit more extensive this time around, to the point that each civ has their own difficulty star-rating.  I don't recall factions in AoE 2 being all that different except for the skins, unique units, and a few bonuses here and there.  Nothing crazy or groundbreaking, just more uniques and more bonus stats.

$60 (or more for unfortunate folks like Destraex) is definitely a bit steep for what they're offering, but I'm glad I went for it.  That said, I'll be returning to AoE II Definitive Edition for multiplayer because none of my friends want to shell out $60 for the game yet  :buck2:

EDIT - Actually, classic Wonders are still in the game - at least in the "Build and Defend a Wonder" victory type, which was always a classic.  Dunno how extensively Wonders are featured in this one though.
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

al_infierno

#11
Won my first 1v1 skirmish against an Intermediate AI, who put up a reasonable enough fight for the most part.  I was worried at first because they outpaced me on reaching Age 2, but after some successful early battles it seems like they focused on unit production rather than economy.  I'm not sure the timeline is 100% accurate because I remember seeing a message telling me that the AI leveled up to Age 3, and they even had a stat on how long into the game they did so.

I quite like what they did with the after-action screen, with a detailed timeline that includes battles and their winners.  I'm not sure how the game determines this, to be honest - late in the timeline when my unit count drops swiftly, I would certainly have counted that as a battle won in their favor, since I broke down their walls and stormed their town, then got mostly wiped and pulled out.  I guess the game thought of it as a stalemate because my surviving units hung around just outside the destroyed walls protecting the siege equipment while I trained reinforcements and brought them in.

I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Jarhead0331

I'm quite enjoying it...the historical stuff between campaign missions is nicely done and engrossing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2021, 09:58:46 PM
I'm quite enjoying it...the historical stuff between campaign missions is nicely done and engrossing.

Yeah, the historical cutscenes are top quality.  Like a high budget television/Netflix series.
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Gusington

Thanks al and JH. On Green Man Gaming I can get it for 47.00...

...interesting about the landmarks too. And I really like the news about civ buffs, etc. I admit I am surprised at the initial positive reviews, I did not expect them, to be honest.

Maybe I'm getting old and crusty.

Have you tried any of the campaigns yet?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd