A War of a Madman's Making - text-based war planning and political survival RPG

Started by al_infierno, May 04, 2022, 02:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TheFjordFox

I'm just another random.

al_infierno

@Steve - Good eye!  :)  That image you found was the exact reference I gave to the artists who made that portrait + the character sprite for the Great Leader.

@Fjord & Gus - Thank you!   :bd:  Will definitely post updates as development progresses.
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

al_infierno

https://witching-metal.itch.io/a-war-of-a-madmans-making/devlog/379322/deceiving-the-great-leader

The Great Leader has a reputation for shooting the messenger. This war is full of bad news, so how will you present it to him?

The following excerpt from the in-game Encyclopaedia explains the hidden Great Leader Deception system:

When you report to the Great Leader, you may be tempted to exaggerate or even lie to soften the blow of bad news and save your own life. He's known for shooting the messenger after all.

There's a hidden Great Leader Deception stat which tracks how often you manipulate the truth. If you lie or bend the truth too much, the Leader will catch on and arrest you. This Deception threshold might increase or decrease throughout the game.

I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

al_infierno

When the invasion seems like it's on the cusp of success, you'll be faced with hard choices. Will you accept a loss and decide how to report the bad news to the Leader? Or desperately reach for victory at a greater cost?

I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

al_infierno

A nice showoff of various character sprites, and also an important plot point at the Daughters' Ball: You have an opportunity to coach your family on how to act in the presence of the Great Leader, and also opportunities to scheme and subvert the Leader.

I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

al_infierno

Free demo available now!  Play through the prologue, character creation, and the first phase of the war.  See the initial consequences of your plans and report to the Great Leader - but try and keep your neck in the meantime!

Follow the link here, scroll down, and click "Download Now":

https://witching-metal.itch.io/a-war-of-a-madmans-making/devlog/384174/free-demo-available-now

The demo is available for Mac and Windows.  If you run into any errors or crashes, please take a screenshot and drop a comment!

This is all still WIP so any feedback is much appreciated  ;)
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

JasonPratt

So far so good! Wishlisted on Steam last week, just forgot to say so.  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Demo is now on Steam for all the lazy bastages ;)

Experience the prologue and first 1/3 of the story.  Plan the war, begin your power games, and report to the Great Leader.  But watch what you say - he's known to shoot the messenger!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1985710/A_War_of_a_Madmans_Making/
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


al_infierno

I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

al_infierno

Demo updated to version 0.1.2 - now with fancy features like a proper ending!  And the early custom GUI elements, including little icons for choosing your preferred alcohol  <:-)

https://witching-metal.itch.io/a-war-of-a-madmans-making/devlog/388102/update-012



I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

al_infierno

I overcame the first major hurdle of game dev and actually got a small community of players interested in my game!   :bd:  I created a Discord for anyone to play the latest Alpha of the full game, plus a space for reporting bugs, sharing feedback, and so on.

Join the Discord here!  https://discord.gg/XxYtYqYVwx
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd