Main Menu

FRIDAY Destruction

Started by Jarhead0331, October 07, 2022, 12:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

al_infierno

The luckiest people in a nuclear war are those standing directly beneath the blast, as they say.

Anyway, on a lighter note....

I've been playing a lot of Project Zomboid with a friend on her server as that's been a good go-to game where I can relax at the base while my character does nothing, or go stomp some zombie heads.  I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's a fan of zombie movies as it's the only zombie game I'm aware of where a bite is actually fatal instead of your character having magic plot armor.
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Dammit Carl!

(To all of us who grew up with the specter of nuclear war being a constant sword hanging over our heads)

"Welcome to the party, pal(s)."

-embracing nihilism like the last mango-melon slurpee there ever was

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 07, 2022, 07:14:27 PM
(To all of us who grew up with the specter of nuclear war being a constant sword hanging over our heads)

"Welcome to the party, pal(s)."

-embracing nihilism like the last mango-melon slurpee there ever was

Oh, I was there with you.

That was what was so odd last night on my streaming randomly showing me cold war stuff of my youth.  Been a while since I had the old feelings watching that stuff.

And I still hate Matthew Broderick's little punk character.  Made me think a computer gaming nerd like me could land a girl like Aly Sheedy in my youth.   Way to manage my expectations Hollywood!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 07, 2022, 07:31:33 PM
And I still hate Matthew Broderick's little punk character.  Made me think a computer gaming nerd like me could land a girl like Aly Sheedy in my youth.   Way to manage my expectations Hollywood!

Damn straight.

Uberhaus

There's too many Clausewitzs, oh when will we fall?



Will play Unity of Command, but will break with my wargaming tradition of defending the Rhodina against the fascist invaders.

As to nihilism, we have been fortunate in that we have had a good portion of our lives to live even though some of it had been under threat in the past.  I fully expected to fight in a world war like my grandfathers and great-grandfathers.  As much as we pan today's youth, they really haven't had that much time on this earth.

I'll finish up by stealing something Dammit Carl! posted in the past: "Be excellent to each other."

al_infierno

#20
Blood Meridian was published back in 1985 but it remains relevant to this day.  Gotta love Judge Holden as a character like Anton Chigurh but taken to its furthest extreme, exalting war as god itself.  Well worth a listen for anyone who likes to chew the dog a bit about the philosophy of war.

"Men are born for games, nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself, but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the skill and strength of the opponents, and the humiliation of defeat and pride of victory are in themselves sufficient stake."

and also the quote in my sig  O0

I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on October 07, 2022, 09:12:24 PM
Blood Meridian was published back in 1985 but it remains relevant to this day.  Gotta love Judge Holden as a character like Anton Chigurh but taken to its furthest extreme, exalting war as god itself.  Well worth a listen for anyone who likes to chew the dog a bit about the philosophy of war.

"Men are born for games, nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself, but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the skill and strength of the opponents, and the humiliation of defeat and pride of victory are in themselves sufficient stake."

and also the quote in my sig  O0



Back when I was publishing in college, outside of history I published papers on The Plains Trilogy and Blood Meridian.  Also got published and taught as a TA on Faulkner's Barn Burning.

Holden is much more extreme than Anton.  The dance scene alone....

It's a novel that is hard to describe.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

#22
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 07, 2022, 09:26:12 PM
Back when I was publishing in college, outside of history I published papers on The Plains Trilogy and Blood Meridian.  Also got published and taught as a TA on Faulkner's Barn Burning.

Holden is much more extreme than Anton.  The dance scene alone....

It's a novel that is hard to describe.

??!!?? How have you never told me this in any of our convos?   :2funny:

Yeah, I remember reading the synopsis of Blood Meridian on Wikipedia years before I actually read the novel and it just... doesn't do any justice.  Holden is arguably an actual supernatural entity, possibly Satan himself or some representation of such.  Anton is just a dude who doesn't mind killing people for money.

In any case I'm sure none of that is news to you, but I would love to read what you wrote about McCarthy's writing  :)  I'm a huge fan of his books, same with Faulkner!
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

SirAndrewD

#23
Quote from: al_infierno on October 07, 2022, 09:32:04 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 07, 2022, 09:26:12 PM
Back when I was publishing in college, outside of history I published papers on The Plains Trilogy and Blood Meridian.  Also got published and taught as a TA on Faulkner's Barn Burning.

Holden is much more extreme than Anton.  The dance scene alone....

It's a novel that is hard to describe.

??!!?? How have you never told me this in any of our convos?   :2funny:

Yeah, I remember reading the synopsis of Blood Meridian on Wikipedia years before I actually read the novel and it just... doesn't do any justice.  Holden is arguably an actual supernatural entity, possibly Satan himself or some representation of such.  Anton is just a dude who doesn't mind killing people for money.

In any case I'm sure none of that is news to you, but I would love to read what you wrote about McCarthy's writing  :)  I'm a huge fan of his books, same with Faulkner!

I'm sure I have my papers somewhere.  My published ones on McCarthy were in The Senator, which was a college paper so not as big as the stuff I got in Journal Historian. 

I did talks on Barn Burning on behalf of my Lit mentor, Dr. Peter Billingslea at a few places.  Peter and Suzie Paul called me one of the top scholars on that story in the country.  I'm sure I've forgotten half what I knew but it was mostly about the synergy in lit and history and old south race relations in respect to Abner's personality.

My paper on Blood Meridian was, to be expected, about McCarthy's themes of man's inhumanity to man.  I did it after the Plains Trilogy writeup which was more concerned with fate and the hopelessness of human natural self destructiveness.   I wrote all of that before the Road and I will never stop patting myself on the back by predicting that McCarthy would head into the genre of the Apocalypse eventually, as there were massive apocalyptic themes in both Blood Meridian and The Plains Trilogy.

The fact I doubled in Lit doesn't come up in this venue often, but, well, anyone that pays attention knows I work in publishing now, so there you go.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

WARNO Lots of things upgraded in the interface. Easily one of the most advanced RTS/Wargames out there. You can set unit behaviours for when to retreat if outranged and whether to pop smoke etc. Really amazing stuff.








DCS World

Still enjoying this but always get torn away to other multiplayer games before I master anything.




Age of Empires IV
Still good fun with 3-4 friends. The models are really cool to watch.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"