Main Menu

VR WWI Flight Sims

Started by Gusington, October 19, 2022, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

I can swear I have seen other WWI flight sims in VR besides Flying Circus. Have I lost my mind? Post what you know here to stave off my further mental decline.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Thanks D. That was the one I was thinking of - not sure why I was under the impression there were more. Early onset dementia? Wishful thinking?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Probably just the idea that there are a bunch of WW1 Flight Sims but the better and more fleshed out ones don't have VR. 

I'm hoping one day Flying Circus will catch up to Rise of Flight, but I'm not holding my breath.  The process on it's been slow compared to its older brother.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Yeah progress on WWI flying games is slow, VR or not.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Sadly it's a niche market, so there's no one out there prepared to invest in making a new one.  In the community there the perception that even FC is just a loss-leader for its WW2 big brother - hence the slow development.  Your only alternative to FC for a sim is WOFF, but that is based off of a truly ancient game, so VR won't be coming to that.

SirAndrewD

I like WOFF and it's got a lot out of the engine, but Rise of Flight is still a very valid and fine choice.  Heck I played a few missions last night. 

The lack of VR hurts it as a I feel WW1 sims REALLY shine with VR, but it's still a good option.

I'll take today's mix of options over the dark days of the early 00's post Red Baron 3d any day.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Father Ted on October 20, 2022, 01:33:39 PM
Sadly it's a niche market, so there's no one out there prepared to invest in making a new one.  In the community there the perception that even FC is just a loss-leader for its WW2 big brother - hence the slow development.  Your only alternative to FC for a sim is WOFF, but that is based off of a truly ancient game, so VR won't be coming to that.

Not necessarily. VR is coming to Falcon 4.0 in the form of BMS. It will be part of the next release. So, while I agree it is a long shot, never say never.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Skoop

#8
Gus, VR in flying circus is as good as your going to get.  For single player career, use the Pat Wilson career app.  You download it free on the mod forums of the il2 site.  It's really good, better than the stock il2 career mode and comparable to woffs career.  Give it a go, and if that doesn't scratch the itch, I'm afraid your at a dead end.

There's also YouTubes about it if you want to check it out before you go down the rabbit hole of installing it.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Skoop on October 20, 2022, 05:55:18 PM
Gus, VR in flying circus is as good as your going to get.  For single player career, use the Pat Wilson career app.  You download it free on the mod forums of the il2 site.  It's really good, better than the stock il2 career mode and comparable to woffs career.  Give it a go, and if that doesn't scratch the itch, I'm afraid your at a dead end.

There's also YouTubes about it if you want to check it out before you go down the rabbit hole of installing it.

I second that.

PWCG is really, really solid. 

I absolutely adore VR in FC as well.  There's honestly nothing quite like it.  It's going to cost me about $2k in December when I get and Aero.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Thanks Skoop and D. I would invest in a VR set just for the above mod you mentioned...worth the money? Even though the options are limited this thread has me jonesing now :/
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on October 20, 2022, 07:18:10 PM
Thanks Skoop and D. I would invest in a VR set just for the above mod you mentioned...worth the money? Even though the options are limited this thread has me jonesing now :/

If you want a headset, and don't mind one slightly used, let me know. I have a spare HP Reverb G2. It's one of the best headsets for simming available on the market now. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Father Ted

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 20, 2022, 02:00:57 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on October 20, 2022, 01:33:39 PM
Sadly it's a niche market, so there's no one out there prepared to invest in making a new one.  In the community there the perception that even FC is just a loss-leader for its WW2 big brother - hence the slow development.  Your only alternative to FC for a sim is WOFF, but that is based off of a truly ancient game, so VR won't be coming to that.

Not necessarily. VR is coming to Falcon 4.0 in the form of BMS. It will be part of the next release. So, while I agree it is a long shot, never say never.

Sorry, I didn't know that these were WW1 sims.

SirAndrewD

Just a suggestion to those thinking of WWI peripherals. 

I have totally replaced my Virpil Mongoose throttle with the Control Panel 3 with the four lever throttle quadrant. 

There's no scenario where a WW1 game requires all the buttons on my Mongoose, and the CP 3 throttle feels more natural for a WW1 bird, and has the convenient mixture and radiator handle right where it should be. 

If you're a WW1 or WW2 only simmer, thinking of Virpil and you're intimidated by the cost and size of the Mongoose, consider the CP 3 instead.  I'm transitioning to using it for WW2 as well since I can put pretty much every control I really need for quick access on my Stick plus CP1/2.

It's also super comfortable for VR since each of the levers are contoured so you can feel which part of the quadrant is which.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^I think I am most attracted to WWI aircraft (and have been forever) because of their simplicity and to see that reflected in the 21st century gaming tech makes me squee with delight. When I was in my teens and 20s I could handle learning Falcon or similar but now at 48 my skills are...less...than they were.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd