Knights of Honor 2: Sovereign

Started by Anguille, August 21, 2019, 02:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

#165
Quote from: Gusington on December 10, 2022, 06:52:03 PM
I wonder if playing as a larger kingdom with more provinces would be less difficult and open up more options...

I seem to have a better play experience with larger kingdoms. France or Poland for example. I got spanked pretty badly as Leon and Brittany.

I like the game...but am not a great fan of the tactical battle implementation. Troops move to too fast and combat just seems "arcade like" to me. I guess I am somewhat used to Total War series. Even TW is a little too arcade-like for my taste, but still better than KoH.

But having said that, I still like the game and will continue to play.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

^I'll go for Transylvania or Wallachia next, I think they each have a couple of provinces.

Single province kingdoms, if geographically secure, offer some safety to learn the game but the economic options are really limited and money trickles in very slowly.

And devoncop I just looked at the Steam store page and the reviews are up to 'mostly positive' from 'mixed' as you said. 999 reviews posted.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Well I lost my second game as Ragusa...Apulia (!!) and Wallachia invaded my tiny Adriatic kingdom together and obliterated my capital.

Besides choosing Bosnia and Ragusa for these first two games, I also neglected to build a barracks, which led to me being able to field militia only.

So my one-province economy failed to support my anemic military, and guaranteed losses each time even on 'easy' difficulty.

That all said the game is quite fun. It's been a while since I have dedicated this much time to a game that keeps kicking my ass.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

#168
I think you may be right there Gus.

I gave the game a very quick spin on "normal" difficulty after all and chose Leinster the single province Kingdom that includes Dublin thinking I could take out Ulster given Connaught was a buddy from the off.

The problem was that Leinster had no less than 4 castles but not a single crop farm and barely any other economic resources. This meant that I was trying to develop from Ground Zero as  my destitute peasantry scraped around for sustainable . Connaught then appealed for help in a war with Ulster and like a fool I agreed and sent my embarassing army into Ulster to do a bit of pillaging whilst I hoped Connaught and Ulster would be knocking each other senseless.....

Connaught thought it would make more sense to let my army do the heavy lifting and stayed bottled up at home and I got crushed by Ulster whose more plentiful resources had furnished an army twice my size.....

Restart later today  :)

Love the UI and gameplay so far though.


EDIT/UPDATE

Second Leinster playthrough going much better. Only one castle and 4 trade goods along with a monastery and a crop farm as a start made a big difference. Have helped out big boy England v Gwynned to get them onside and getting some nice plunder.

Replayability looks to be immense.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

Ha 'embarrassing army.' My Ragusan army was just barely large enough to be embarrassing :)

I think 14th century Transylvania has two provinces so I am going to go for them next...still keeping the difficulty on easy, clearly that's enough for me at this point.

And I'm building a damned barracks from the get go. Clearly the types of buildings constructed make a huge difference. Maybe if I didn't feel all fancy and build a damned winery instead of a barracks, Ragusa could have been the Adriatic superpower it deserved to be :/
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on December 12, 2022, 09:24:47 AM
Ha 'embarrassing army.' My Ragusan army was just barely large enough to be embarrassing :)

I think 14th century Transylvania has two provinces so I am going to go for them next...still keeping the difficulty on easy, clearly that's enough for me at this point.

And I'm building a damned barracks from the get go. Clearly the types of buildings constructed make a huge difference. Maybe if I didn't feel all fancy and build a damned winery instead of a barracks, Ragusa could have been the Adriatic superpower it deserved to be :/
Having a winery may have enticed the neighbor's armies to invade!

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Unsurprisingly a winery never came up as an option in 12th Century Ireland :(
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

I  have got a sheep farm......does that count as "fancy " ?
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on December 12, 2022, 10:27:03 AM
I know enough to not answer.

That was officially a "trick question" ;)

How do you find wives by the way, the way things are going my King may have to take a more direct interest in the sheep farm  :hide:
The women of Europe are either married already or their father's suspect me of trying to get a claim on their Kingdom so refuse the offers....
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

 ;D

Even though my Bosnia and Ragusa crumbled pathetically, both royal houses were pretty good with the ladies and had several children.

Suitors would just randomly appear and almost always come to me first  :cowboy:
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: devoncop on December 12, 2022, 11:01:59 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 12, 2022, 10:27:03 AM
I know enough to not answer.

That was officially a "trick question" ;)

How do you find wives by the way, the way things are going my King may have to take a more direct interest in the sheep farm  :hide:
The women of Europe are either married already or their father's suspect me of trying to get a claim on their Kingdom so refuse the offers....
If you can't find a wife, your king will probably get one from it's own kingdom. Should come automatically after some time.

devoncop

Thanks Anguille....

I just checked the Steam forums re this and apparently on the world map there is a marriage filter you can use to identify unattached males and females and then it is a case of improving relations with them until they get worn down  :)

A local girl sounds a lot less hassle though so keeping fingers crossed my boys charms are enough to generate one !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games