Slitherine to release Brian Kelly's Stalingrad 31st March

Started by Boggit, March 19, 2022, 08:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 02, 2022, 05:45:01 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on April 02, 2022, 04:10:21 AM
Just played around with the tutorial so far.

Looks like an interesting game.

Bit disappointed there is no long small scale scenario that concentrates on the fight for the city itself - several cover various actions but not one for the whole thing.

Interface takes a little getting used to - but there have been improvements made in the Wego system that makes things clearer - one thing always struggled with in WEGO systems is visualising where troops end up but there is plenty here that gives a better picture.

About all I can say ATM.

Thanks for the feedback.  So far not getting good vibes enough to make the purchase as even in the official forums still quiet for a new game release.  Maybe a sale pickup at the end of the year unless a lot of positive comes flowing in....

Yes, the lack of posts/activity/comments here have me wondering about this one.

JasonPratt

Having saved up enough (in my semi-retirement income) to pay other bills, I am now the proud owner of this and the Campaign Series Vietnam game!  :D

I was glad to help promote the original game (now known as WEGOWW2: Desert War, or something like that, to fit the new branding theme), and I'm looking forward to seeing how the system has been expanded and improved for Stalingrad.

Which reminds me that I never finished Operation E on the first game... ;) Too many sparkly things!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Jason would you recommend this game? I am interested because it is WEGO but worried this game (WEGO stalingrad) lacks battle granularity. You know actual troop numbers and weapons types modelled and listed. Also it still seems to use phases that always happen in exactly the same order, air attack always comes after ground attack I think? A bit like an order of operations in math.
I want war in the east style detail with WEGO chaos, you know where the enemy does not honour the gentlemans agreement and stays in place as you go up and down the line watching each enemy reaction in turn as your or their turn plays out in turn based traditional tabletop style.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

I haven't played it yet, but I was pretty familiar with the system from the previous Desert War game. So...

Quote from: Destraex on April 13, 2023, 08:25:40 AMYou know actual troop numbers and weapons types modelled and listed. Also it still seems to use phases that always happen in exactly the same order, air attack always comes after ground attack I think? A bit like an order of operations in math.

Phases is correct, I think they do come in the same order all the time, or they did in the previous game. (Air, naval, arty, etc.) Air attack intercepts ground attack attempts.

It does have actual troop numbers for the unit sizes -- in the prior game that was mostly regiment units, with some company sized and even smaller sizes occasionally (iirc). I think that included weapon platforms per se, like crew-served mgs, jeep mgs, tanks (but I don't think distinct weapons on the tanks, I'd have to recheck). Hey, wait, let me look up my video series and post a link to that from the digital AAR...

https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=21988.0

The new game will play quite a bit like that.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Destraex

I have not been able to find actual troop numbers so far reading the manual. Just a decimal value for the various fighting power of the units and the usual counter indicator to give an approximate formation size. No actual figures for how many men are in the unit and after a battle how many men are left for example.
Supply seems to include ammunition and fuel but nothing else like food and water?

Destraex

I now see that some screens show troop numbers

Destraex

I just figured out what this reminded me of and I think I was getting confused by.
Attack at Dawn: North Africa on steam. Definitely different games. Both WEGO and both North Africa. Matrix Games are sure missing out by not putting things on steam. This is the one I played the demo to I think.

Now the question becomes one of which game system is better...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1383640/Attack_at_Dawn_North_Africa/

Destraex

It seems the Attack at Dawn boys decided today was the day to launch news of their new game, stalingrad.

"Attack at Dawn: Stalingrad - New Game in Development"

"We have been working on a new addition to our Attack at Dawn series of games for a while now. What we initially thought would be a DLC update evolved into a concept for a full-blown game. We thought about it for months, making experiments and prototypes, and finally decided to make a brand new game and move to the EASTERN FRONT!

We are designing a game about the southern section of the WW2 Eastern Front. We are still deciding on the scope of operations, but we will probably have scenarios for: Barbarossa, Case Blue, Uranus, Donets & Kursk operations.

The new game will be all we have planned for General Staff DLC and more. Here is a list of some of the features of the game:
entirely new game engine, with entire 3D terrain and units
complete UI rework, making it easier to use and understand
dynamic campaign
general staff functions: �logistics, intelligence, operations, engineers, personnel
beautiful illustrations throughout the game
improved animations, and more of them
improved sounds, and more of them
full soundtrack

As you can see, it's quite an ambitious project and will take longer than we thought. But it will be worth it and turn this series into something fantastic!

In addition to this, we started a joint venture with Seleya Games to create a comic-book-styled board game about espionage, warfare, and nuclear exchange in Europe. We love to work on board game and video game projects in parallel, as it makes us more on the "designing edge".

If you wish to follow updates on all our projects more closely, please go to our website and subscribe to our newsletter. We issue it on a monthly basis, and it is the best way for you to follow and support our work during these long periods of development.

That's it for now. Have fun playing the game, and see you on the desert sand!

Tom"

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1383640/discussions/0/7155698768541711353/

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on April 14, 2023, 07:18:47 PMSupply seems to include ammunition and fuel but nothing else like food and water?

True, nor spaghetti. ;) {/CampNorthAfriJoke}

It is definitely not as detailed a system as Command Ops2 (or even its predecessors on the system back to Red Devils). Of course its scale is much larger, too, although it can get down to platoons.

Destraex

Command Ops 2 on a strategic or operational scale would be perfect. Obviously they would need new detail and mechanics for those higher command levels. But I imagine they would do a superb job.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on April 15, 2023, 07:32:15 PMCommand Ops 2 on a strategic or operational scale would be perfect. Obviously they would need new detail and mechanics for those higher command levels. But I imagine they would do a superb job.

Seems like they have been working on the latest patch and dlc for years so I wouldn't count on any major new versions anytime soon

Destraex

Westwall says it has army level operations. Curious to see how well those are done.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 15, 2023, 08:21:51 PM
Quote from: Destraex on April 15, 2023, 07:32:15 PMCommand Ops 2 on a strategic or operational scale would be perfect. Obviously they would need new detail and mechanics for those higher command levels. But I imagine they would do a superb job.

Seems like they have been working on the latest patch and dlc for years so I wouldn't count on any major new versions anytime soon

I added Command Ops 2: Bradley at Bay to my wishlist in March 2017 !!

Still listed as 'coming soon' ...

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 16, 2023, 03:10:23 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 15, 2023, 08:21:51 PM

I added Command Ops 2: Bradley at Bay to my wishlist in March 2017 !!

Still listed as 'coming soon' ...

Yeah, it's a shame..such a great foundation it has, my dream game of not micro managing.  Too bad for one reason or another just hasn't been able to stick around with updates a new stuff, although what's available is good.

Destraex

From the steam forums:

"simovitch 2 Feb @ 7:46am 
As one of the lead developers for Bradley at Bay, I can tell you that it is still very much alive - but waiting to be released with the new patch that is currently in development. But before that happens, the scenarios (in fact almost all CO2 scenarios) will need to be tested with the new system and adjustments made as necessary to make sure they are as balanced as possible. A lot of love went into the BaB scenarios and it is just waiting for it's day in the sun."