Ultimate General: American Revolution

Started by al_infierno, November 16, 2020, 04:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sir Slash

Yosemite Sam didn't like Hornswoggling neither.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

I appreciated the way Unity of Command 1 handled that "linear progression" challenge.  You had 3 different mini-campaigns, and failing in one had implications for how far you could make it in that mini-campaign, but you could lose one battle (say in the Southern Front) and crush another battle (say taking Leningrad in the north) and still have some strategic fluidity in where you got to go.

It certainly was NOT a sandbox game, and each scenario was effectively a puzzle-game just like those titles have been since Panzer General, but the combinations and permutations of winning a decisive victory in one place and only barely winning a marginal victory somewhere else gave it a little more replayability.  It also made it feel more like a real military campaign, and less like a puzzle-solving exercise.

Grim.Reaper

Could we be getting closer to early access release?  Release trailer below, although strongly looking forward to this, certainly looks like this could be hectic controlling everything:)


Gusington

Nice, very much looking forward to this.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 15, 2023, 07:06:14 PMCould we be getting closer to early access release?  Release trailer below, although strongly looking forward to this, certainly looks like this could be hectic controlling everything:)


Like the website popping up out of nowhere all that time ago this video is really strange as well. An account with only this single video to it's name (this one) and comments turned off. Also set to children as a rating. Not a company judging by the acct name but seems to be an account created in 2010. So the youtube acct itself is 13yrs old. It's like a team is developing this freelance after the project was canned by the parent company. Alternately it could be fake?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Good detective work Des! -- I have no idea what the hell.

GR, unless they've hampered the engine dramatically, the Ultimate General games have always allowed and encouraged pausing to give orders. It's hard for me to keep up with everything sometimes, but control per se has never been a problem for me.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

No idea on the marketing and rollout of this thing, but don't think it's fake or anything like that for a number of reasons.

- The official product page has the video embedded into it.  If fake, would think the developers would have removed it.

- They do have an official forum where it's posted as well and nobody from the "official" dev team has said anything about it.  I would think if fake, they would have said something and/or taken it down.

- What motivations would someone have to go to this extreme in producing a fake video?  The screens and gameplay shown clearly show American Revolution information, it would take a lot of work to make that stuff up.

The devs have really never committed to any timeframes or information releases, except saying it would be going to early access "soon"...but that is vague.  I continue to remain optimistic.

Destraex

#84
I did not realise it was on their actual page. I really hope this game comes through.
Is their official forum part of the games labs site?

As for a fake video, a lot of people have done fake trailers in the past to get paid for youtube views. In this case the product is so niche that I would also have thought that was unlikely.

What is not answered though is why the video would not have come through a more trusted youtube account. Could it be that the devs are ukranian and this particular guy is posting without great access to official youtube accounts? Games labs who published naval action, ultimate general and admiral certainly were iirc and this is likely the same perhaps "distributed" team... I also seem to remember that the ultimate general guy was a greek guy who was originally a total war modder called darthmod.
Will early access be through steam?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Yes, the official forums is part of their over official forums, so legit place.

I do understand some people do fake things out, I was just saying in this instance can't see any benefit for a game like this as the audience isn't huge....benefit didn't seem to outweigh the effort.

No idea about where the video is posting from, I don't really ever look at that detail as most videos are embedded into another site and I simply hit the play button. Certainly makes sense it should be posting on official channels, but no idea how many other games I play where that doesn't happen.

No idea if will be on Steam and/or their own platform, no information available on the plans yet and there is no steam page up yet.

W8taminute

Fake video or not I think my main concern, that got my attention in these last few posts, is that if battles are not pauseable I'm afraid I'd have to turn down this game. 

And when I say pauseable I mean allow me to issue orders to my units and plan my strategy whilst in the pause state.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on June 16, 2023, 12:30:16 PM'whilst'

you slay me  :cool:

Thank you Gus, I'm flattered.  But I'm not this cool IRL I'm afraid.  I'm kind of a nerd. LOL
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd