Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

This week's freebies:

Europa Universalis IV, and a few DLCs:
    Catholic Majors Unit Pack
    Evangelical Majors Unit Pack
    Songs of Yuletide
Orwell: Keeping an Eye on You
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

rickeyF3

I usually use stim, but I always have epic on hand because they give away games for free.)

steve58

Heads up on next week's freebie:

Next week (Aug 24-31):
    Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on August 17, 2023, 10:27:38 AMHeads up on next week's freebie:

Next week (Aug 24-31):
    Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Such a great game. One of the few I finished from beginning to end left still wanting more.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

matt3916

Steve -- Please post again next week (please, please, please).

Destraex

I agree. Deserts of kharak is a worthy land based prequel to homeworld. I was left wanting more in the skirmish map department though.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

steve58

Quote from: matt3916 on August 17, 2023, 06:06:47 PMSteve -- Please post again next week (please, please, please).

:Party:

steve58

Freebie of the week is up:  Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

matt3916

Got it.  Thank you.

steve58

steve58

al_infierno

Epic laid off about 15% of its workforce, or just south of 900 employees.  They are also selling Bandcamp, which they just acquired last year.

It is very difficult for me to sympathize with Sweeney's "spending more money than we earn" justification given their puzzling decision to acquire Bandcamp in addition to throwing piles and piles of money at devs and publishers to secure them as Epic exclusives.  "Spending more money than we earn" was demonstrably their strategy all this time.  Funny how there's no mention of Sweeney or any other high level executives taking so much as a pay cut.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/28/23894266/epic-games-layoffs-fortnite-unreal-engine

I have to admit that up until this point I've been pretty ambivalent about supporting Epic, but now I have no desire whatsoever to buy games from them.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^I still haven't used Epic...not that Steam is so much better, but hey...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Not sure how accurate this is, but an interesting take from a 3D artist in the industry.

QuoteIt seems like UEFN is the main reason behined ~900 Epic Games Employees being layed out today.

Ever since UEFN released, Epic started a new Engagement Payout System, something completely different from the old one. People were getting paid based on things like Player Counts, Play Time, etc.

As we all know, the discovery moderation team does their job very poorly. For the past Half a Year Discovery was flooded with poorly made maps created just for money, which often were breaking the Island Rules. As far as the map was doing good and making Epic money, they simply didn't care about the Rule Breaking and even put such maps in Epic's Picks.

This resulted in maps like "Skibidi Toilet vs Ohio Grimace Shake Zonewars" becoming the most played type of maps. The Creators were making thousands of dollars off of these maps. The worst thing is a single person could make like 10 of these maps, then they would all be Featured and that person becomes rich very quickly with little to no effort put into it.

Now, let's get to the point. Today, ~900 of Epic Employees were layed out due to Epic having some financial issues and "Spending and investing too much money than they should have". This could have been avoided very easily. The Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars the Spam Map Makers were making could have went to the Epic Employees, but I guess Featuring "Auschwitz Zonewars" in discovery was more important. Some of the Map Makers were making more money than an average Epic Employee Monthly. This should have never happened...

https://twitter.com/ImPeQu/status/1707462358283477043
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

steve58

fyi:  Freebie next week (Nov 16-23) will be: Surviving the Aftermath