Main Menu

Starfield

Started by Zulu1966, December 11, 2021, 04:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

al_infierno

I like to imagine my character and yours getting on the wrong side of one another's blasters in a hive of scum and villainy somewhere in a distant corner of the galaxy.   :beermug[1]:  :ThumbsUp:
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on September 08, 2023, 10:02:45 PMI like to imagine my character and yours getting on the wrong side of one another's blasters in a hive of scum and villainy somewhere in a distant corner of the galaxy.   :beermug[1]:  :ThumbsUp:

Nah, my character's a friendly sort.  He usually talks the situation down after a few shots of whiskey and strong rolls on the persuasion tree. 

Empath and Extrovert are insanely good combed together.  Both of them give big bonuses to your companion in combat and makes it easier to conserve O2 on surveys, but they provide bonuses beyond that that aren't mentioned in character creation like unique dialogue insights that combine with a good persuade.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 08, 2023, 10:14:57 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on September 08, 2023, 10:02:45 PMI like to imagine my character and yours getting on the wrong side of one another's blasters in a hive of scum and villainy somewhere in a distant corner of the galaxy.   :beermug[1]:  :ThumbsUp:

Nah, my character's a friendly sort.  He usually talks the situation down after a few shots of whiskey and strong rolls on the persuasion tree. 

Empath and Extrovert are insanely good combed together.  Both of them give big bonuses to your companion in combat and makes it easier to conserve O2 on surveys, but they provide bonuses beyond that that aren't mentioned in character creation like unique dialogue insights that combine with a good persuade.

That works well 'cause my character is a failed extrovert who would probably shoot first and miss like Greedo, leaving himself to the honorable Lawman's mercy  :ROFL:

I'll have to give the Empath + Extrovert build a try when I make a law-abiding character for my next playthrough.
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

SirAndrewD

Empath-Extrovert is great for companion based builds. 

One thing I've noticed so far is that I've yet to find a companion outside Vasco that is ok with murder, so it seemed a good build to get deep into companion storylines before I chose to go with my Pirate Roberts and open some throats across the galaxy doing the red work! 

Yarr

 :Axe_anim:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

That's definitely a big gap in the game IMO.  Every RPG needs a chaotic evil party member who you can bring along to bring out the worst in you.   :tempted:
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

SirAndrewD

Ok, another tip..

At least start the Back to Vectera story mission line.  You get a good companion right away and more importantly at the first stage you get what I think is the only upgrade to the cutter that exists in the game. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

On PC, how the heck do you target ship systems in space combat?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2023, 06:06:35 AMOn PC, how the heck do you target ship systems in space combat?

To do this, you'll need a specific skill in the Tech skill tree: Targeting Control Systems. This "unlocks ship targeting functionality" and upgrades in the tree will allow you to lock on to ships faster.

Once you have this unlocked, you can use it on ships by aiming your reticle on them and starting the lock on process by pressing E (PC) or A (Xbox).
After the target locks, press R (PC) or X (Xbox). This will zoom in on the ship and time will slow down.
You can then select the target ship's engine by using the arrow keys (PC) or the left stick (Xbox).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 09, 2023, 07:50:15 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2023, 06:06:35 AMOn PC, how the heck do you target ship systems in space combat?

To do this, you'll need a specific skill in the Tech skill tree: Targeting Control Systems. This "unlocks ship targeting functionality" and upgrades in the tree will allow you to lock on to ships faster.

Once you have this unlocked, you can use it on ships by aiming your reticle on them and starting the lock on process by pressing E (PC) or A (Xbox).
After the target locks, press R (PC) or X (Xbox). This will zoom in on the ship and time will slow down.
You can then select the target ship's engine by using the arrow keys (PC) or the left stick (Xbox).

Thanks. I hate the perk based system. I need to spend points to be able to target parts. Dumb.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Sheesh....

What is everyone's protocol for ending dialogue in space?  Normally I left click to skip through dialogue but I just accidentally shot a random ship I had just finished trading with, pissing off everybody in my crew.   :tickedoff:
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on September 09, 2023, 06:57:01 PMSheesh....

What is everyone's protocol for ending dialogue in space?  Normally I left click to skip through dialogue but I just accidentally shot a random ship I had just finished trading with, pissing off everybody in my crew.   :tickedoff:

Use the TAB key.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

Has anybody caught the worth a buy videos on Starfield. He is usually entertaining and well balanced in his reviews. Alas he had his own expectations.


"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Pete Dero

Quote from: Destraex on September 10, 2023, 07:50:04 PMHas anybody caught the worth a buy videos on Starfield.

Jarhead did a few days ago (post 114)  :cool:


I don't think disaster is a correct description, but the title generated 10 times more views than his other videos.



The game isn't bad but the hype was too big.  The promised whole new gaming experience turned out to be Fallout in space.


ArizonaTank

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 11, 2023, 03:00:30 AMI don't think disaster is a correct description, but the title generated 10 times more views than his other videos.

The game isn't bad but the hype was too big.  The promised whole new gaming experience turned out to be Fallout in space.


I agree with everything on the video, but I think that all that stuff is minor (IMHO) and I am sure Bethesda will fix it as many of us pony up with wallets open for future expansions.

I have about 20 hours in the game, and I think it is a great game. Sure, it's Fallout in space, but that is still a big deal IMHO.

Yep, Fallout in space is a big deal.

What makes it great in my mind is the depth and decisions you have to make in main and side missions. The fact that you can talk, stealth or fight your way through many missions is brilliant.

I played through one side mission (Failure to Communicate), helping farmers against pirates, that I felt was as good as the main mission in many other open-world games. 

Then there is Bethesda's use of character development. If you want you can really get to know the NPCs, their motivations and feelings (interestingly, if you aren't into that, you can often skip these dialogs).

Bethesda is still king of the open-world, IMHO. Elden Ring's world tries, but doesn't even come close.

Given all the good stuff in Starfield, I can forgive a little bit of over-hype...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.