Main Menu

Starfield

Started by Zulu1966, December 11, 2021, 04:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Skoop

The game was way overhyped, but it's super fun nonetheless.  I can see myself doing several play throughs with different character backgrounds.  I saw somewhere that there's a new game+ feature where you start a new game with most of your xp levels and perks which makes play throughs less a chore.

Windigo

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 08, 2023, 10:35:22 PMOk, another tip..

At least start the Back to Vectera story mission line.  You get a good companion right away and more importantly at the first stage you get what I think is the only upgrade to the cutter that exists in the game. 

I love my modified arc welder....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Windigo

Hmmm, stole a Crimson Pirate Phantom space ship and now it switched models to another elite pirate group..... I can't recall their name, but I will edit this later tonight.

Anyway it's weird
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

DetCord

Again, the game isn't bad by any means. It isn't great either. It also isn't even remotely as bad as Mack makes it out to be. I think it is important to remember that WAB transformed into a drama channel a few years ago as drama draws clicks, and clicks equal ad-rev for him, even though he does make some very good points. Though those points have been made by everyone else. 

Minus the at times horrific dialogue, some very poor writing here and there, and a whole boatload of bugs, I'm still playing it even after nearly 60+ hours. My biggest qualm or qualms are the QoL aspects or complete lack thereof. BGS had the opportunity to create secondary or tertiary game systems like trade, cargo, resources etc.

There is absolutely no economy in the game. No trade routes or market. No demands or fluctuating demands based upon various aspects. Nothing. Outposts are an afterthought and are utterly worthless other than a place to dump companions or a credit generation hub for you as a player just because. The ability to create your own galaxy spanning FedEx or Helium-3 Exxon just isn't a thing. I'd have loved to have to ability to do so, to purchase ships or build them, assign an AI crew to routes even if the concept is abstracted, and build a business empire based upon commodities. Utterly wasted opportunity.

As for reviews, Luke is on the money.
           

Jarhead0331

^sounds like the X-series would be up your alley.

I think Starfield (indeed all games) needs to be judged based on what it is and not what we would like it to be. I never followed it closely during development so I can't say whether functional economies and player made empires were ever supposed to be a thing. Hard to believe they would be in a story-based Bethesda RPG. That has never been the case, although you could own property, harvest, craft, trade, join groups, etc.

I agree, I've had no use for the outpost system or really even the ship construction system (other than when a mission required it). Perhaps these systems and their relationship to the game will be the focus of a future expansion?

The fact that we have criticisms of the game, but have still dumped so many hours into it speaks loudly. Despite its shortcomings, despite absent features, it's just a lot of fun. For me it's the questing for ever better loot and faster-shooting, more powerful pew pew guns. It keeps me diving into the unknown in pursuit of new missions for now while allowing me to wear so many different hats...a cosmic explorer, naval aviator, spy/double agent, pirate, sheriff deputy, etc. Good stuff overall.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jarhead0331

Interesting email leak from Erin Roberts. I happen to agree completely with his take on Starfield as it compares to the tech in Star Citizen.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 13, 2023, 06:44:41 AMThe fact that we have criticisms of the game, but have still dumped so many hours into it speaks loudly.
We're fickle?  :laugh:
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Windigo

I am trying the Ranger series of quests .... I don't like their attitude to me as a Deputy... may come back and try and take the whole organization out ... if that is possible... hell there are only like 12 of them.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

DetCord

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 13, 2023, 06:44:41 AM^sounds like the X-series would be up your alley.

I think Starfield (indeed all games) needs to be judged based on what it is and not what we would like it to be. I never followed it closely during development so I can't say whether functional economies and player made empires were ever supposed to be a thing. Hard to believe they would be in a story-based Bethesda RPG. That has never been the case, although you could own property, harvest, craft, trade, join groups, etc.

I agree, I've had no use for the outpost system or really even the ship construction system (other than when a mission required it). Perhaps these systems and their relationship to the game will be the focus of a future expansion?

The fact that we have criticisms of the game, but have still dumped so many hours into it speaks loudly. Despite its shortcomings, despite absent features, it's just a lot of fun. For me it's the questing for ever better loot and faster-shooting, more powerful pew pew guns. It keeps me diving into the unknown in pursuit of new missions for now while allowing me to wear so many different hats...a cosmic explorer, naval aviator, spy/double agent, pirate, sheriff deputy, etc. Good stuff overall.

I played the X series back in the day and really enjoyed it. However, it's been so long since I've touched one of the titles I'd hate to have to get back into the awful GUI and endless key commands. That's always been the X series biggest turnoff for me and lots and lots of other people. That being the insane GUI related learning curve.

Agreed. I enjoy Starfield for precisely what it is. An RPG set in outer space. You really do need to try ship building though.

Spent over an hour on this bad boy and it rips through everything.


Jarhead0331

Quote from: Windigo on September 13, 2023, 12:51:10 PMI am trying the Ranger series of quests .... I don't like their attitude to me as a Deputy... may come back and try and take the whole organization out ... if that is possible... hell there are only like 12 of them.

It's best to stick with the quest and play nice for the reward you get at the end.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Windigo

It'll take a while. I get sidetracked scanning planets and wiping out pirate bases looking for those sweet drops.

Right now in the Ranger quest I am chasing the woman down after she left the hospital and went to the mine.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

^That sounds very close to real life.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

Chasing women down and mines?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Possibly a spoiler, but apparently you can find a planet with a mad AI that spends its time making clones of historical people, so you can chat with the likes of FDR and Genghis Khan.  :shocked:

https://twitter.com/NikoMueller/status/1703135035124076990
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.