Total war pharaoh - coming October

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 23, 2023, 04:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: gregb41352 on October 02, 2023, 09:09:01 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 02, 2023, 03:32:32 PMHeh, I like that it's effectively the sequel to Pre-Dynastic Egypt and Egypt: Old Kingdom (which I've been playing through again in anticipation of the new released.)

...well, come to think of it, there should be another dynastic set between E:OK and Ph:TW, but still. I'm interested in the setting, so!

Are you talking about a mod?  For which game?

Those look like two actual games on steam...

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Clarus%20Victoria

Old TImer



Are you talking about a mod?  For which game?
[/quote]

Those look like two actual games on steam...

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Clarus%20Victoria
[/quote]

How did I miss those little gems?

JasonPratt

They are nicely addictive but very much puzzle games with something like tabletop mechanics (for example Euro-style worker placement.)

The game system has been going since being a free flash game a decade ago. The dev actually posted here long ago asking a question about what we'd prefer in presentation on Pre-dyna (which at the time was called something more Civ-ish.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile Total Pha-war is out!

...

............

...

...um, may wait a little while for bugs to be squashed. I never yet got Troy so I won't be in the 'dumbass expensive reskin of Troy' camp.

(Not that I'm against Total Troy-war, but I had other things to be doing at the time. I'm sure I'll get that someday, for any modding sake if nothing else!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^You read my mind. Unfortunately, not looking too promising. Only seven reviews up in Steam as I type this and they are all negative. Oh and this:

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I watched that last night. It actually LOOKS quite good. Maybe if they can squash the bugs, then add some great DLC, the modders can make a real game out of this.  :grin:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

While some reviews seem to like it......whether the game is good or bad, so much pre release negativity is going to make it hard for the game to really have a chance in most people's viewpoint....

https://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-pharaoh-review/

ArizonaTank

I was once a hardcore Total War fanboy...but Creative Assembly lost me somewhere after Three Kingdoms.

For me, the reviews and samey gameplay of Pharaoh are not 'sparking joy' as Marie Kondo would say.

Then there is the price....

There are just too many great games in my queue at this time.

I will wait for the sale.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on October 11, 2023, 02:56:28 PMHmm PC Gamer liked it a lot...

I think if you didn't have to pay for it and lived in a world where this was the only TW game I can see why you'd think it was a decent game - taking it solely as a new game in its own right it doesn't look too bad

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Wow did this thing flop hard.

After 5pm on a weekday and 850 people in game, about as many as are in Thrones of Britannia right now and less than half that are in Rome II.

I saw a few videos on it to make sure I was correct in a no buy and it seems I was.  Only three factions, only a small slice of Egypt and half the levant.  A battle AI that's somehow even worse than some of their older releases. 

I wonder if this will send a message to CA to actually, you know, make a full Total War game if you're going to charge $60 and perhaps just give the audience what they've been begging for, Medieval 3 or Empire 2. 

I don't think that's the message they're going to get though.  I wouldn't be surprised if CA decides that this is just an indication that no one wants historical titles any longer and just abandon them altogether.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^Well maybe that last point would be for the best then and other developers will come up with something better.

I say that as a CA fan boi since the original Shogun game.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Maybe the new Total War is the games now being done by Darth Vader, the American Revolution one. Darth's mods made TW games so much better that maybe he'll take over the genre. Fine by me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CapnKirk

I love ancient Egypt, but the Total War games after Shogun II have not been my thing. I'm not saying that they're bad games, but the way provinces are now handled has taken a lot of enjoyment out of the system for me. Being able to only build one type of building per province just isn't fun for me. I do like the idea of having to ensure you have construction materials, but I wish it was handled differently.