Ultimate General: American Revolution

Started by al_infierno, November 16, 2020, 04:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

A week ago they indicated they just started creating tutorial videos and still were working on bugs/balancing issues so probably safe that we are a little ways off.  Looking at discord and their forums, really no hint of a release date although one of the active people has alluded to a October release for some time, but no idea if just guessing or has some inside information.  Would be awesome if true....really still my most anticipated game at the moment, although with Front Office Football 9 coming out this month, there is competition for my time:)

rss334

Also looking forward to this - hoping it captures my attention to sit down and played - tried to play ultimate general but never could get in to it. 

W8taminute

The reason why Ultimate General was a failure, IMHO, was because of it's scripted campaign. 

I hope this game will be sandboxy in nature because if it is nothing but a collection of scripted battles I'll see you later. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: W8taminute on October 14, 2023, 08:57:06 PMThe reason why Ultimate General was a failure, IMHO, was because of it's scripted campaign. 

I hope this game will be sandboxy in nature because if it is nothing but a collection of scripted battles I'll see you later. 

On the opening statement on their official website it identifies the game as sandbox and by all the other information available points to sandbox and not scripted. 

American Revolution is a sandbox strategy game featuring the epic historical period during the rebellion of the American colonies against the British Empire. Take on the role of the British or American Colonists, and fight for territorial control over North America. A gripping real-time campaign awaits you on a detailed 3d map where you can build your army and navy, construct military infrastructure, and fully command your armies on a regimental level. If you want even more action you can fully zoom-in and fight massive battles on a battalion level.

Grim.Reaper

Some more tutorial videos....

Land Battles

Naval Battles

Headquarters

Skoop

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 15, 2023, 05:16:57 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 14, 2023, 08:57:06 PMThe reason why Ultimate General was a failure, IMHO, was because of it's scripted campaign. 

I hope this game will be sandboxy in nature because if it is nothing but a collection of scripted battles I'll see you later. 

On the opening statement on their official website it identifies the game as sandbox and by all the other information available points to sandbox and not scripted. 

American Revolution is a sandbox strategy game featuring the epic historical period during the rebellion of the American colonies against the British Empire. Take on the role of the British or American Colonists, and fight for territorial control over North America. A gripping real-time campaign awaits you on a detailed 3d map where you can build your army and navy, construct military infrastructure, and fully command your armies on a regimental level. If you want even more action you can fully zoom-in and fight massive battles on a battalion level.

I love the sandbox notion and the total war style of campaign, will be worth giving this a look.  I'm just not sold on the setting, is there a way for asymmetric warfare to be portrayed, along with some of the other nuisances of the revolution ?   
I feel like this game would be better if it was Napoleonic or even French Indian War, just for the nature of gameplay.  I bet it'll be fun none the less, but it'll be like playing a random faction in a total war game versus capturing the immersion of the revolution. 

Grim.Reaper

More videos and screenshots....









W8taminute

I'm really getting excited about this title!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on October 17, 2023, 12:27:41 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 15, 2023, 05:16:57 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 14, 2023, 08:57:06 PMThe reason why Ultimate General was a failure, IMHO, was because of it's scripted campaign. 

I hope this game will be sandboxy in nature because if it is nothing but a collection of scripted battles I'll see you later. 

On the opening statement on their official website it identifies the game as sandbox and by all the other information available points to sandbox and not scripted. 

American Revolution is a sandbox strategy game featuring the epic historical period during the rebellion of the American colonies against the British Empire. Take on the role of the British or American Colonists, and fight for territorial control over North America. A gripping real-time campaign awaits you on a detailed 3d map where you can build your army and navy, construct military infrastructure, and fully command your armies on a regimental level. If you want even more action you can fully zoom-in and fight massive battles on a battalion level.

I love the sandbox notion and the total war style of campaign, will be worth giving this a look.  I'm just not sold on the setting, is there a way for asymmetric warfare to be portrayed, along with some of the other nuisances of the revolution ?   
I feel like this game would be better if it was Napoleonic or even French Indian War, just for the nature of gameplay.  I bet it'll be fun none the less, but it'll be like playing a random faction in a total war game versus capturing the immersion of the revolution. 
I agree that Napoleonic would have been much better, even seven years war.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

#174
Grim I really appreciate you posting all of these videos and screenshots :)
Just so you know this is what happened when I tried to show one of the videos on another website:
Perhaps this is why nobody can search for the videos.
The link goes to voxukraine.org/ru and continues on a longer link

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on October 28, 2023, 07:07:06 PMPerhaps this is why nobody can search for the videos.
The link goes to voxukraine.org/ru and continues on a longer link


I can see his videos no issue. 

Must be the King's saboteurs.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on October 28, 2023, 07:07:06 PMGrim I really appreciate you posting all of these videos and screenshots :)
Just so you know this is what happened when I tried to show one of the videos on another website:
Perhaps this is why nobody can search for the videos.
The link goes to voxukraine.org/ru and continues on a longer link



No idea, when shared on this site has no such issue and where I get them from doesn't appear to have issue either.  Can't answer what the reason is and since I get them from the official source and can view them, doesn't concern me that I can't search for them on YouTube:)

Destraex

I think it would simply be that the youtube account is from a Ukranian or Russian region and that the site I tried to post to is simply parsing through a generic filter same as youtube sharing restrictions is? I imagine a lot of devlopers from those regions are facing this sort of thing at the moment.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

glen55

I love UGCW General and still play it often, so I would have no problem getting into this if it was another scripted campaign. I find the American Revolution very interesting.

A sandbox would necessarily have a strategic layer, one would think, and that would be challenging. Politics (national and international, as well as regional and local), civilian morale, diplomacy, and of course logistics would all be critical. If modeled correctly, and with the workable tactical system they already have, this could be a truly amazing game if they hit it all aces.

But like I said, it would be challenging to get there.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

JasonPratt

I can tell that the snapshots are through Discord, or at least "discordapp".
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!