Helldivers II Announced!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 26, 2023, 12:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

By the way...I heard playable mechs and the ability to call in NPCs to assist are in the works.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Love how in the latest news, the Devs nipped that whole "meta," b.s. that was on the rise by nerfing some things and buffing others and then to follow it up with "eh, point is to have fun, mates."  The gnashing of teeth from the min/maxers is amusing to say the least.

If/when I can ever buff my computer to run this game, I'll happily give these folks cash.

al_infierno

People are way into the idea of a one-size-fits-all "meta."  Majority of average gamers don't want to have to think about situational choices, what gear and tactics are best for the right mission, etc.  I dig the devs commitment to keeping the game challenging.

Also -- mechs are in the game now!   :strongbad:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on March 08, 2024, 09:42:24 PMPeople are way into the idea of a one-size-fits-all "meta."  Majority of average gamers don't want to have to think about situational choices, what gear and tactics are best for the right mission, etc.  I dig the devs commitment to keeping the game challenging.

Also -- mechs are in the game now!   :strongbad:

The mechs are really good, but not overpowered. I think they fit in really well.

Still loving this game. Level 16 Master Sergeant. A really cool new Warbond is on the way too. Armor and weapons look sick!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Yes, and I like that if you shoot the rocket too close to yourself, it's instant death.  The game really doesn't pull its punches.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on March 08, 2024, 10:30:13 PMYes, and I like that if you shoot the rocket too close to yourself, it's instant death.  The game really doesn't pull its punches.

Yes. Death comes in so many accidental and hilarious ways.

The game is just brilliant. I agree with you that its GOTY so far.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

I didn't even really think about it the first time, I just assumed being in a mech and all, I could shoot a rocket right down at a big bug next to me and I'd be fine for a shot or two before it turned into a problem.

Que to my limbless torso flying in bloody chunks through the air.

Also, the community strategy of "You want your shiny toys?  You better fight for 'em!" was brilliant with regards to the playerbase having to liberate a planet to unlock the mechs.

- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Definitely envy people who have been able to handle and enjoy the game, recently purchased the game fully knowing it likely would be tough for me and it certainly has lived up to that.

First of all, I do think it is a well done product, even the initial intro video was nice and had humor.  Graphics look very good and the controls are very nice.  Again, very nicely done.

But as I suspected, the game is simply too tough for me, especially in solo mode.  I even died during the tutorial, which was a bad sign:)  Tried a few missions and simply don't survive long, the amount of bugs and their aggressiveness simply overwhelm anything I am capable of doing.  They come from every direction and in numbers. not too mention I have to reload so often it further exposes me, even if I try to run away.  Kind of like when you have to use the coded input but as I am doing that, bugs come at me which makes it difficult to survive.  I have been unlucky with the respawning as well, many times show up in the middle of the bugs which I die in seconds:)

None of this is meant to imply the game isn't good, I actually do like it a lot during the time I am able to survive.  I freely admit I am not the world's greatest shooter so no doubt my lack of success is also because I can't make use of all the tools and resources fast enough to survive, which is completely on me.  I have the same issues when playing RTS games when you have to manage a lot at a frantic pace.

So again, for anyone that has been able to do this solo, I have mad respect for your abilities and will continue to monitor this thread for tips.  I plan to keep playing it, just setting very low expectations for my progress:)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 09, 2024, 09:37:22 AMDefinitely envy people who have been able to handle and enjoy the game, recently purchased the game fully knowing it likely would be tough for me and it certainly has lived up to that.

First of all, I do think it is a well done product, even the initial intro video was nice and had humor.  Graphics look very good and the controls are very nice.  Again, very nicely done.

But as I suspected, the game is simply too tough for me, especially in solo mode.  I even died during the tutorial, which was a bad sign:)  Tried a few missions and simply don't survive long, the amount of bugs and their aggressiveness simply overwhelm anything I am capable of doing.  They come from every direction and in numbers. not too mention I have to reload so often it further exposes me, even if I try to run away.  Kind of like when you have to use the coded input but as I am doing that, bugs come at me which makes it difficult to survive.  I have been unlucky with the respawning as well, many times show up in the middle of the bugs which I die in seconds:)

None of this is meant to imply the game isn't good, I actually do like it a lot during the time I am able to survive.  I freely admit I am not the world's greatest shooter so no doubt my lack of success is also because I can't make use of all the tools and resources fast enough to survive, which is completely on me.  I have the same issues when playing RTS games when you have to manage a lot at a frantic pace.

So again, for anyone that has been able to do this solo, I have mad respect for your abilities and will continue to monitor this thread for tips.  I plan to keep playing it, just setting very low expectations for my progress:)

You know you can change the level of difficulty for missions?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2024, 10:23:01 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 09, 2024, 09:37:22 AMDefinitely envy people who have been able to handle and enjoy the game, recently purchased the game fully knowing it likely would be tough for me and it certainly has lived up to that.

Thought it said on my screen being easy level but haven't found where you specifically set it.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 09, 2024, 11:12:03 AM

Thought it said on my screen being easy level but haven't found where you specifically set it.

From the mission selection screen, press 'Q' or 'E' to adjust difficulty. I believe "Trivial" is the easiest setting.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2024, 11:44:43 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 09, 2024, 11:12:03 AM

From the mission selection screen, press 'Q' or 'E' to adjust difficulty. I believe "Trivial" is the easiest setting.

Thank you will certainly check it out