7 Days to Die - Plan to Leave Early Access: May / June

Started by ArizonaTank, April 20, 2024, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

7D to Die has been in early access for more than ten years.

I think I have been playing it that long as well. I bought an early discount copy for about $9 and have clocked over 440 hours according to Steam. Much of that in multi-player with Grogheads Bud and Jason (Sabreman).

Now it will finally move to version 1.0 in May or June.


 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

wow....10 years.  Believe I bought like 6 years ago and really did nothing with it.  Wonder if 10 years is a record for early access:)

Dammit Carl!

Eh, in terms of "early access," games, it has (to me and the limited time that I've played it) seemed to be stable and consistent which is frankly amazing in lieu of all of the other crap that has come and gone in the same amount of time.

Bravo, 7 Days.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on April 20, 2024, 09:14:17 PMEh, in terms of "early access," games, it has (to me and the limited time that I've played it) seemed to be stable and consistent which is frankly amazing in lieu of all of the other crap that has come and gone in the same amount of time.

Bravo, 7 Days.

Completely agree, the game has been highly playable since almost the beginning.

One of the truly amazing features of the game IMHO is it's ability to generate gigantic random maps that look like they were hand built. Also, in these random maps, every block is destructible. So if you can't find an open door to a building, chop through a wall. You don't see that in more recent games.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

rss334

I remember playing about 40 hours it years ago but never really finished the game or seen all it had to offer, but it was fun.  I'm sure on release I'll pick it up and play it some more - agree with the guys above it was one of the few EA games I played and that felt like a complete game and that was at least 2 years ago.

JasonPratt

#5
Quote from: rss334 on April 21, 2024, 10:35:14 AMI remember playing about 40 hours it years ago but never really finished the game or seen all it had to offer, but it was fun.  I'm sure on release I'll pick it up and play it some more - agree with the guys above it was one of the few EA games I played and that felt like a complete game and that was at least 2 years ago.

Well, don't worry, there wasn't any way to 'finish' the game until.... well, probably not at version 1 release either! Which is what they're calling Alpha 22, because the game will still be feature incomplete!  :shocked:

That said, they have a final roadmap which they'll be working on through the end of the year, which should fully complete the game.

Now's the time to get in, costwise, because they're running a 1 week 76% discount on Steam starting today!  :ThumbsUp:

Essentially what's happening is that they're going to do a new console release, as they approach the final build, which requires a higher cost point, which means they'll have to bump up PC pricing to match.

Just how much this is going to affect the amazing mod scene, remains to be determined, though I'm sure the modders will catch up eventually, with even better offerings. I just hope Steam Workshopping will be implemented at last.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Looking forward to the optimization. Can't really go into the main city sky scrappers my FPS drops like a stone with any groups of zombies. Been playing since alpha 5. something, 1800+ hours later and I still enjoy it. Workshop will be good for folks to mod it up. Don't really play stock anymore. Once its goes full release the modlets and overhaul mods won't be far behind.

Probably the best $10 I've spent on a game :cool:
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Dammit Carl!


-budd-

1.0 was released about 2 weeks ago. I've been playing pretty regularly since the release. Performance is better, but I was expecting a little more in that department. They've slowed progression, which was much needed, now it takes longer than 14 days to be all setup. I'm on day 35 and just managed to save up and buy the last major bottleneck, $15,000 for a crucible  :ThumbsUp: . You really have to have some decent gear once you reach level 3 infested missions, won't be doing those with a club and bow. The game scales pretty good for newer type players, with it leading you to more difficult biomes/missions as you progress.  I haven't attempted any Level 5 missions yet, I don't have the gear/ammo good enough yet but now that I have the crucible its all systems go. I have the rest of the crafting stations up already, just needed the crucible to make forged steel. I'm fine with the new armor system, you can still mix and match but get a bonus for a full set type. For my first run through of 1.0 I turned off the horde nights, and added a mod for more random hordes. There's mods I pretty much won't play without, better UI, 24/7 trader, bigger backpack, more crafting slots, QOL stuff. Unfortunately some mods don't play well with others so its mix and match. I'm just waiting for the total conversions to get finished, I usually play Darkness Falls mod, but there are so many mods, total conversion and otherwise that workshop will be a godsend to the community.

Here's my most important piece of advice.....invest in parkour.....it will save your fu**ing life, probably more than once. Parkour is the one must for me, getting to level 2 asap. It's especially good if you want to punch above your weight on mission selection.

Have fun
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: -budd- on July 07, 2024, 10:46:02 AM...

Here's my most important piece of advice.....invest in parkour.....it will save your fu**ing life, probably more than once. Parkour is the one must for me, getting to level 2 asap. It's especially good if you want to punch above your weight on mission selection.

Have fun

...
True confession...in 7DtD, Budd is my hero... :Dreamer:
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

-budd-

HA, HA, Ha...thx AT. Couple of other things that changed worth mentioning, hordes continue to spawn until 4am, not a set zombie count like before. Traders also open at 4am now, which doesn't affect me as I use the 24/7 trader mod. Here's the link to where I get my mods https://7daystodiemods.com/1-0-mods/  I'm particularly fond of Khaines mods, he also does the total conversion Darkness Falls mod. I'm up to day 39 now and prepping for some level 5 quests, I've unlocked all the biomes and have finished a page and half of the challenges. I heard tell there are some level 6 quests, I'll probably stay on this run until I see one. Once I unlock the level 6 legendary Desert Eagle and craft some better armor and a few thousand rounds of ammo I should be ready for a level 5 quest. I just finished a level 4 quest at night, that took about 800 rounds of ammo, 12 pipe bombs and some Molotov's and good amount of crossbow steel bolts and some liberal steel spearing. I have the zombies set to run at night, feral's to sprint so there faster than me. The game is a lot more tense now.

Another tip....always have an exit plan when things go to shit :laugh:
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

I don't recall there being a set number of horde night zombies ever, and I've been playing off and on since alpha 10 or 12? Whenever one gets killed, another one of semi-random type spawns in from a (semi?)random direction at the usual spawn distance. That happens until... well, I thought it was 2am, so maybe it happens until dawn now at 4. (I don't recall the traders opening immediately upon spawn cessation.)

Admittedly I haven't played alpha for at least a year.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Your right it was based on the max alive setting you set in the settings as far as spawning but there must of been a max because I've finished early horde nights in around an hour. I vaguely remember seeing a setting about it when I used to mod the xml files. Truth be told I haven't played with hordes on for a few years got tired of the repair grind.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

Well and there may be a max horde setting now that can run out instead of only a max respawn number (X zombies per player in the game at a time).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

Got this bad boy queued up to play but haven't had the time to really sit down and give it some attention.  One day...one day...