Scourge of war remastered

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 29, 2023, 08:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer

Do you think owners of SOW:GB on Matrix will get a Steam key?

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 10, 2024, 04:23:26 AMDidn't see them specifically say they were completing the Waterloo remaster after posting Gettysburg on steam, but maybe I missed the post where that was discussed. Even if not stated, I certainly expect them to continue enhancing Waterloo and Gettysburg regardless.  They do mention still working towards a combined engine so maybe that is what was meant.

Sounds like Gettysburg should be available in about two weeks as steam requires a store page to be up for two weeks prior to release.  Also looks like they did release the Quatre Bras DLC for Waterloo, although from what I can tell if you own the prior version, will still work although you have to make sure placed in correct folders and such.  I'll probably re-purchase to have everything part of the normal steam install, plus support the developers a bit.  It is $8.99 right now.

I got that from steam from a guy I know is a pretty big fan and keeps up to date. Perhaps he has it wrong as he is not a dev.


"Captain rex 17 hours ago 
   
this is the original version with some performance enhancements and steam integration

when they have the version on the Waterloo engine working they will update this to that version

they are putting this here now so that people (like me) who don't want to wait to experience the civil war can experience it"

https://steamcommunity.com/app/3142400/discussions/0/4509877684745134574/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: Rayfer on August 10, 2024, 07:15:55 AMDo you think owners of SOW:GB on Matrix will get a Steam key?
I very much doubt it after all these years.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on August 10, 2024, 07:15:55 AMDo you think owners of SOW:GB on Matrix will get a Steam key?

No, pretty sure has been officially stated that all the remaster stuff requires a new purchase.  However, the remastered game and content has been priced decent for me so I don't mind, especially if it keeps enhancements coming.

Tripoli

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 10, 2024, 04:23:26 AM...  I'll probably re-purchase to have everything part of the normal steam install, plus support the developers a bit.  It is $8.99 right now.

I will repurchase, for the exact same reason. My experience with BoC has shown me that working on a game takes enormous amounts of effort.  For indie companies, it really is a labor of love, so to buy the game (or DLC) again is a small sacrifice, and helps to ensure that the indie designs are around to help ensure that future generations of gamers have the same opportunity to  mis-spend their youth that I have had.  :laugh:
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Destraex

The square. Deployed many times during the Napoleonic wars.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tripoli

I just saw this on the Steam page.  Looks like they may be issuing Gettysburg by the end of the month (https://store.steampowered.com/app/2205330/Scourge_Of_War__Remastered/):

Last year we made some promises to our players. We said that there would be a big sale on the price of GB. We said that the same engine would run GB and WL. We said that even if you bought WL first, you'd be able to buy GB as DLC.

I wish I could take all that back, but I can't so we did it. It would have been much easier to just have the two separate games, or just one game. But I have a big mouth and we all like to do what ever we can to say thanks to everyone for supporting Scourge Of War.

We initially moved to Steam to take advantage of their MP and Lobby system. We did that. We also got both games out fairly quickly. This last step of completely moving GB to the new engine has been tough.

We will be releasing it all towards the end of the month and it will be greatly discounted, as we promised.

We only hope we don't miss too many issues. There will still be some tweaking involved in completely porting the AI.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Destraex

#112
They are still nowhere near finishing waterloo I don't think, which seemed to be abandoned for gettysburg for now. You can only use the new graphics in sandbox mode through an i game mod tool.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tripoli

Scourge of War Gettysburg released today:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3136610/Scourge_of_War_Remastered__Gettysburg/

40% discount until May 5.  With the Discount, it is $26 USD.  I just purchased, because it is a great game.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tripoli

Looks like the Gettysburg DLC didn't work out, and will be pulled from Steam Page, with purchasers getting a refund.  Its a little complex, but it sounds like the idea of Gettysburg and Waterloo will have to be different games, and not a DLC off of the Waterloo game engine.  I assume that the developer will continue to work on Gettysburg as a remastered title (with hopefully the Chancellorsville and Antietam DLCs) to follow shortly thereafter.  The developer's note on this situation is reproduced in full below:


The Gettysburg DLC did not go as planned. Our testing, our planning ignored one major area that is a no go. Can Steam support what we are trying to do. It cannot. I'm not blaming it on anyone but me and our team. We should have caught this and known before we released.

Our plan was to put GB as DLC for WL and WL as DLC for GB. So no matter which path you choose, you can get what you want. We tried to be everything to everyone and it failed miserably. Soon after launch players pointed out these issues and research showed that there was no good solution.

In our testing we were just trying to get everything working. We mostly tested the DLC, as the stand alone game would be the same engine. We got everything working at the last hour. But just did not spend enough time integration testing. Even with all that there are still bugs we missed and it sucks. But all we can do is own up to them and fix them. We cannot move forward until we have the solid base.

Two apps cannot share the same workshop, so all mods would have to be copied and supported in two areas. The same issue comes into play in the game lobby. Although there may be a hack for it, it could get shut down in the future. So GB DLC could not MP against GB stand alone and that's not acceptable.

The only solution that solves these issues is to discontinue the GB DLC, give everyone a refund. I've already requested this from Steam and am waiting to hear back. I cannot shut down the store right now or change it.

We apologize that this happened and we are trying to make it right as quickly as possible. Thank you to everyone who jumped on this and found these issues very quickly.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Destraex

Can't say I did not see this coming. The whole project does seem fairly add hoc in it's approach.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skoop

The workshop is probably the best thing about the remaster steam integration.  If you peruse the workshop for Waterloo, you'll find all the kriegspiel content that turns the game into a whole new game.  You can play scenarios from 1812 campaign in Russia. 

I think the workshop is part of the reason Gettysburg dlc didn't work.  Tbh Gettysburg as a separate game with its own work shop will be Better in the long run.  But the mod possibilities with Gettysburg and the steam workshop will make it worth it.

Destraex

I still hope they pull it off. But I also think it is a shame that a newer engine with better presentation for the ground textures especially was not used. I like the nee terrain graphics but the game still looks very old and the interface is still very clunky.
The whole thing is still very much a work in progress.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skoop

Yeah, I was kind of meh on the remaster graphics wise....looks the same.  I waited for a major discounted sale, like now to get it.  Definatly worth it onsale with the ease of steam integration and mod workshop.

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on May 02, 2025, 03:34:42 PMYeah, I was kind of meh on the remaster graphics wise....looks the same.  I waited for a major discounted sale, like now to get it.  Definatly worth it onsale with the ease of steam integration and mod workshop.

You can only use the new terrain by:

A) going to the mod menu in game and enabling the new terrain.
B) playing a game from the sandbox menu of the waterloo battle.

Otherwise you will not see anything but old graphics. That is how poor this implementation is, you literally have to have inside knowledge to get the remaster working properly. When you do, you find it works through a kind of back door like modders rather than the devs wrote it.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"