Main Menu

Handshake With FRIDAY

Started by Pete Dero, October 11, 2024, 11:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pete Dero


Some relaxing music for the weekend ...

Stuck in DCS flying the F-16.


Enjoy !

solops

More of the same: continuing an epic Shadow Empire game, hog hunting IRL, and potentially Manor Lord and Sins Of A Solar Empire 2. Maybe some UA Dreadnoughts.

Side note, emptying 50# sacks of feed into feeders is a pain when you have to use a cane to walk. I enjoy watching the deer and dove eat, hoping the hogs will be lured in by a false sense of security. Bwahahahaha....
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Tripoli

Not really sure.  None of my gaming plans have been working out recently.  Aside from BoC and Fight Club work, some Warplan turns, I'm not sure I'll have time for much more. Hopefully, I'm wrong on that.....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Destraex

#3
Fields of Glory!!! Plus all the usual stuff.
Fields of Glory is so darned good. Why are old games fully featured and rich. Is it because people back then programmed whatever the heck they wanted without relying on proprietary engines and HR departments?

I mean this has a lot of features that not even scourge of war has. You can tell when men are disordered or shaken, they shake or look disordered. Easy right?
I click on a unit and the game pauses and tells me the status of that unit. It even offers to take me to the encyclopedia.
I mean the interface is clunky but that's because it's old and has tech limitations. It's so easy, you click on a unit and a drop down from any text allows you to change formations etc. None of these abstract icons at the bottom of the screen. It's pure and so darned simple.

This is an old microprose title I would pay for in a heartbeat. Scourge of War is of course more complex and better but Fields of Glory gives the feedback I need top know what's going on in an instant.


















"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Destraex on October 12, 2024, 04:31:36 AMFields of Glory!!! Plus all the usual stuff.
Fields of Glory is so darned good. Why are old games fully featured and rich. Is it because people back then programmed whatever the heck they wanted without relying on proprietary engines and HR departments?

I mean this has a lot of features that not even scourge of war has. You can tell when men are disordered or shaken, they shake or look disordered. Easy right?
I click on a unit and the game pauses and tells me the status of that unit. It even offers to take me to the encyclopedia.
I mean the interface is clunky but that's because it's old and has tech limitations. It's so easy, you click on a unit and a drop down from any text allows you to change formations etc. None of these abstract icons at the bottom of the screen. It's pure and so darned simple.

This is an old microprose title I would pay for in a heartbeat. Scourge of War is of course more complex and better but Fields of Glory gives the feedback I need top know what's going on in an instant.


I have many fond memories of Fields of Glory. Great game. I recently played it again, and I agree, it still holds up.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

#5
Still having Viking fun in Aska.

Was sucked back in to Starfield with the recent expansion. The game has improved in subtle ways since I last played with it. And...now it seems even more content-rich; that is saying something.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Tanaka

#6
Decided to finally bite the bullet with the sale and jumped into Gal Civ 4. So far I like it a lot better than the previous versions a lot more strategic choices and it looks great... :tie1:

Also jumped on the big sale for EUIV and completed my DLCs so will get back into that one as well...

With Paradox games I highly recommend waiting to buy until they announce the next one then get a big discount on the whole package. I've got enough of them to wait that long with the prices they charge...

Phantom

Quote from: Destraex on October 12, 2024, 04:31:36 AMFields of Glory!!! Plus all the usual stuff.
Fields of Glory is so darned good. Why are old games fully featured and rich. Is it because people back then programmed whatever the heck they wanted without relying on proprietary engines and HR departments?

I mean this has a lot of features that not even scourge of war has. You can tell when men are disordered or shaken, they shake or look disordered. Easy right?
I click on a unit and the game pauses and tells me the status of that unit. It even offers to take me to the encyclopedia.
I mean the interface is clunky but that's because it's old and has tech limitations. It's so easy, you click on a unit and a drop down from any text allows you to change formations etc. None of these abstract icons at the bottom of the screen. It's pure and so darned simple.

This is an old microprose title I would pay for in a heartbeat. Scourge of War is of course more complex and better but Fields of Glory gives the feedback I need top know what's going on in an instant.

Did you ever try the "Napoleons Last Battles" games? (Waterloo & Austerlitz IIRC) - they look similar to above but probably a little better graphically. Gameplay was also good with many clever visual clues (such as flag drooping more as morale fell) to indicate important attributes without having to dig into the numbers. As you say, I think some designers have lost the art of making an intuitive interface as focus has shifted to number crunching and/or snazzy graphics.

Destraex

Quote from: Phantom on October 14, 2024, 12:42:20 PM
Quote from: Destraex on October 12, 2024, 04:31:36 AMFields of Glory!!! Plus all the usual stuff.
Fields of Glory is so darned good. Why are old games fully featured and rich. Is it because people back then programmed whatever the heck they wanted without relying on proprietary engines and HR departments?

I mean this has a lot of features that not even scourge of war has. You can tell when men are disordered or shaken, they shake or look disordered. Easy right?
I click on a unit and the game pauses and tells me the status of that unit. It even offers to take me to the encyclopedia.
I mean the interface is clunky but that's because it's old and has tech limitations. It's so easy, you click on a unit and a drop down from any text allows you to change formations etc. None of these abstract icons at the bottom of the screen. It's pure and so darned simple.

This is an old microprose title I would pay for in a heartbeat. Scourge of War is of course more complex and better but Fields of Glory gives the feedback I need top know what's going on in an instant.

Did you ever try the "Napoleons Last Battles" games? (Waterloo & Austerlitz IIRC) - they look similar to above but probably a little better graphically. Gameplay was also good with many clever visual clues (such as flag drooping more as morale fell) to indicate important attributes without having to dig into the numbers. As you say, I think some designers have lost the art of making an intuitive interface as focus has shifted to number crunching and/or snazzy graphics.

Did not play it. Found a video on it and it does look good. I wonder if it's on gog or something.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

bobarossa

Available on Amazon for $3.  Does look good, play wise.