Main Menu

Age of Empires IV

Started by Greybriar, February 17, 2018, 07:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Destraex

Just realised this game is coming to xbox as well as company of heroes 3. I hope we get some RTS fans move to PC.
But at the same time I can now see why AOEIV looks and feels the way it does. It's relic as well iirc?
You have really nice historical animations and models and really poor colour pallete and UI.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

^You know you hit the nail on the head for me of why I didn't like the art style much, and miss the updated sprites of AoEII Definitive Edition.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Age of Empires IV is free to play for the next 3 days. Just sayin, for anybody that wants to try it.
They just added some more fantastical elements... booo, but fun enough. An enchanted forest biome and an English king with an 11c shield, 16c foot Landschnect sword even though he is on a horse among other things. It's like they went cheap with the age up models for this "king". Not so Kingly. Having said that it's an RTS that has never claimed as far as I am aware to be historical. Although for the most part the models look damned fine.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

^Age of Empires II Definitive Edition has some very historically-based scenarios. AoEIV just hasn't grabbed me, it feels and plays totally different from previous games.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Age of Empires IV DLC - 2 new civilisations (byzantines and japanese) and 4 variant civilisations. Sounds cool.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

Variant Civilizations?  I haven't played since around release.  Wut's da deal wit dat doe.
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Destraex

Somebody I know was saying it is probably like one of the other games in the franchise where the factions can have revolutions or some such in mid game to change units.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Despite not liking the game much when I fiddled with it, I already pre-ordered this.

Hi I am Gus and I am a PC game addict.

 :tophat:
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I think new DLC was announced a few days ago for AGEIV. This in my eyes is great news and I still really enjoy the game. Especially for the models. They always look amazing. There is a cool new mode called monsters 3 where you find a monster roaming around and take a villager to the monster. The monster then bestows gifts or favour or something onto the peasant. Neat stuff. But I always get the impression the devs are pacifists who prefer fantasy and rainbows from most of the stuff they make outside of the core game.

"The biggest update is that new DLC is now in development for the game. Relic said that "the team is working on DLC for 2025," and that "we'll be sharing more news in the new year so stay tuned." The game's first expansion, The Sultans Ascend, was a massive success, setting sales records for the franchise."

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Well. I know this thread is old, but a new set of variant civilisations is coming out in a few days. This one is the knights templar and lancastrians.
The lancastrians are a ranged focus based civ and its knights have a pole axe and a knife throw skill. Not sure I get the historical basis for a plate armoured knight throwing knives. I wonder what the precedent is?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

Quote from: Destraex on April 02, 2025, 07:39:42 PMWell. I know this thread is old, but a new set of variant civilisations is coming out in a few days. This one is the knights templar and lancastrians.
The lancastrians are a ranged focus based civ and its knights have a pole axe and a knife throw skill. Not sure I get the historical basis for a plate armoured knight throwing knives. I wonder what the precedent is?

Probably the same precedent that turned medieval swordsmen into 17th century grenadiers.  :buck2:
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Destraex

Lol
I can just imagine knights in plate throwing their very expensive jewel into encrusted daggers at other plate armoured units and having them bounce off.

As for grenadiers, they did exist in the medieval periods. But yeah aoeiv does cover a huge period of time and thus mixes periods right into the rennaisance.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on April 02, 2025, 11:13:01 PMLol
I can just imagine knights in plate throwing their very expensive jewel into encrusted daggers at other plate armoured units and having them bounce off.

As for grenadiers, they did exist in the medieval periods. But yeah aoeiv does cover a huge period of time and thus mixes periods right into the rennaisance.

I was going to insta-buy this and then I saw those guys throwing daggers. WTF? I'm not sure what to do now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Destraex

#43
I have just started looking and there are a very few mentions of throwing knives in medieval treatises. One from the 1400s apparently mentions throwing a knife at your enemies chest. This makes me think unarmoured duels rather than combat, because in combat most at this time would be warring some form of chest armour. Even archers. Of course this period is when the war of the roses with the lancastrian faction took place.
I doubt their is any account of a battle that describes throwing knives and I certainly have never read one. But i'd like to do some more research.

One thing is for sure, you're not throwing a knife and then getting your poleaxe out. The only time your not using your poleaxe alis when you lose it or throw it away. It's a two handed weapon with no holster.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Well. AOEIV is 65% off at the moment. Probably single digit dollars for you Americans.
Good value imho if you like medieval warfare and RTS.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"