Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020/2024

Started by Redwolf, December 15, 2023, 05:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

#60
I don't know what's going on with it.

I just tried to load the flight I tried to load twice this afternoon and it worked this evening.

I've since tried to load 3 other different flights and I am just stuck on the "close up" of the map holding screen with my GPU screaming at me.

So currently, it's very, very hit and miss whether a flight will load...for me at least.

What's most annoying about it is there's no load bar so I just don't know if it's stuck or just taking its time. If it was taking it's time, I wouldn't mind waiting...but you have no idea

When it does load, it's smooth as silk

And now I'm just getting kicked to a screen saying "Connection to network lost"...I guess because alot of US connections are kicking in now?  As its 9pm here in the UK.

So maybe some server capacity issues still
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

rss334

I know are there people are having issues with 2024, but lets take a step back and realize how we got here.  In 1982 I burned too many hours flying the 1st flight simulator, remember pressing a key and having to wait for the screen to refresh to see the aircraft pitch up some.

As a real life GA pilot I will attest that overall 2024 is the most true to life looking simulator available.  Having spent about 7 hours in it now I can also attest it is a big step up from 2020.  While the buildings are hit and miss and not much improved over 2020, the ground textures, trees, and overall lighting are a giant leap.  The sim looks amazing.  In VR dropping in over the trees and buzzing a field while dodging the haybales then pulling up out of the field literally gave me the feeling of flying.  Leaned out the window and looked over the side of the plane into a mining pit I often fly over IRL, got a dizzy drop of the stomach feeling 10 out of 10 will do again !!!!

Give them time to work out the bugs, it is an amazing advancement in simulation.  If your looking for accurate flight models then xplane is still where it is at but I'm seeing some improvement with some planes in msfs 2024. I have landed in a field a couple times just to get out and look around and while not every place is impressive there have been a few no that if I took a screenshot people would swear it was a IRL picture.  I'll gladly deal with the growing pains to go from the 1982 below to where we are today.  I do agree with others though that the QA on this version seems to have dropped the ball as there are plenty of growing pains to deal with that probably should not have been there on day 1.

In summary congrats to Microsoft an Asobo, they are pushing the boundaries of flight simulation far beyond what I imagined I would ever see in my lifetime.  Despite the issues and even despite the poor QA, I'm giving this game a 10/10.  Now approaching the point where MSFS 2024 could potentially, for some people, replace IRL flying.



Redwolf

How is everybody going on with this thing?

I am suffering from low morale. Don't really see improvements. Old 2020 nags are still in.

Old TImer

Quote from: Redwolf on November 24, 2024, 02:35:14 PMHow is everybody going on with this thing?

I am suffering from low morale. Don't really see improvements. Old 2020 nags are still in.

I have it installed and I've messed around with it some. I guess I'm lucky in not having any problems with it.
That said, I'm still playing MSFS2020 until some of the third party stuff is sorted out.
Saying that 2020 addons will automatically be compatible with 2024 was a stretch.  I can see being made to pay for "upgrades".  That would make me not very happy.

JudgeDredd

I have only seen occasional connection issues now - though they are mostly resolved. Ive noticed speed issues (presumably internet connection) and therefore not all things rendered properly - but again, not often.

Mostly I have nothing but good things to report really. I'm doing the Pilot Licence thing. It's basic but compelling - at least for me...wanting A's in everything.

I don't have any 3rd party stuff for porting so can't comment.

Generally, very few issues now after the debacle of release (when is release of anything not a debacle).

I'm still confused with the GPU high percentage when simply sitting on what is really a load screen...literally nothing going on. Also I do hope they provide a loading icon of some sort to help when connection issues are tough - just so you know it is actually doing something.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Got my first few bugs today...graphics and controller issues

Finished my training and started a mission - but I was sitting outside the aircraft. And it happesn every time. I've rebooted the game and still it happens. It may be the aircraft (it's not the Cessna I'm flying in missions - and I can't change it that I can see).

Also - setting up controls seems very, very convoluted. I've not tried until recently...but assigning my button to my flaps for continuous worked - then didn't. I had to rebind again and they worked. Now in this new aircraft they don't

There's something about the process that makes it very awkward. I don't know why my settings that I set for the Cessna are not being used for this new aircraft because when I set them for the Cessna, I ticked to make them default AND assigned to every aircraft.

I ended up just quiting because I couldn't take off in this damned new plane. It's squirrely as hell and I can't keep it in a straight line and no matter what I do, I can't sort the controls out. It's also got this new thing (was not doing it on the Cessna) where when I press the brakes to slow it down, it puts the brakes on. I've been through the settings and I can't find anywhere where that's a thing. And - it wasn't doing this in the Cessna. It's like a tap will switch the brake on...and I'm having to use the brakes to steer because the damn rudder pedals are way too sensitive and not behaving as I have set them.

So - yeah - very first step into the "professional" world and it's got me buggered. Everything seemed to be ok when I was in the Cessna. I don't know why it decided to throw me into a different plane  :nono2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Redwolf

Re: my earlier complaint that helicopters feel too controller, they are like 3D elevators.

I found that although flight assistance options are turn off by default, this only applies to fixed wing aircraft. The default has 3 axis of assistance on for helicopters  :TimeOut:

Now I turn them off. It doesn't make a huge difference. There's more left-right oscillations. But the pedals are still barely needed and there seems to be no flight model / air change near the ground.

JudgeDredd

So this is the bug I can't get rid of. I passed my test on the Cessna - then got chucked into this piece of crap - sitting outside.

Then this happened - done one of my "missions" to get rep (or whatever it is I'm trying to build...credits or something?). Anyway...

Marked down for Taxi Speeding (because now - for some reason - my brakes don't work on my pedals - even though they DID work and even though they are bound (and I've rebound them multiple times).
Marked down for Flaps Extended Max Speed....I don't know how because a) like my pedals, my flaps button on my throttle don't work (despite being bound and rebound multiple times and b) this message popped up when I was on the ground - no flaps down, no movement and no engine on
Marked down for Prohibited Airspace - where? I flew through every single "rectangle" during the mission

So - I'm more than confused. And it's unplayable without my brakes and flaps (I tried the key binds for these controls either and they didn't work either - in the end, I was applying and releasing the parking brake to slow down)

I'm checking out now until it's went through some changes - it's just frustrating now. I don't know why it's got so screwed - everything was working fine for me controls wise.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

SpaceGameJunkie

I uninstalled it. Too buggy, too problematic, too tough to enjoy right now.

Loaded up some Gunship 2000 and felt way better.

JudgeDredd

I just don't get the change! This game, out the box for me, felt great. All controls worked and they were configurable. I had no graphical glitches and, apart from connection issues, no other problems.

Now they've done something that's screwed my controllers so they don't work in some cases. Bizarrely, the key binds don't work either. I couldn't get flaps to work with a key bind. What I did get working was brakes using the keys but when I touched them, they just went on and locked on rather than what they were doing which was being applied during press and being released  when releasing the button.

I'll give it one last try this morning because - you know - every now and then, being a sucker just feels right.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Redwolf

Apparently when they fiddled with 2024 connections they took down 2020 as well today.

Redwolf

Big patch coming Dec 9.

Question is - does it get better or worse? :)

Pete Dero

https://www.pcgamer.com/hardware/microsoft-says-64-gb-is-the-ideal-spec-for-flight-simulator-2024-but-ive-tested-it-with-96-gb-and-it-makes-a-big-difference/

Microsoft says 64 GB is the 'ideal spec' for Flight Simulator 2024 but I've tested it with 96 GB, and it makes a big difference.

With 16 or 32 GB of memory, Flight Simulator 2024 badly jerks and lags as it tries to load in the world when starting a flight. Even just moving about in the menus isn't especially smooth with those amounts of RAM. But with 64 and 96 GB, it's almost stutter-free. Almost. Microsoft still needs to work on sorting that out, as it spoils an otherwise decent experience. It also really must address the fact it takes a ridiculous amount of time to load the darn game.


Redwolf

Developer video. Mix of lame excuses and some good info.

Marketplace will arrive next year. I'm not sure how that is useful since for most planes you can just fire up 2020, buy the plane and wait for it to show up in 24.

They say that the same level of pre-play download as 2020 would take 1.4 TB in 2024. Worth it as far as I am concerned, but they aren't gonna offer it. They admit bugs in caching.

https://youtu.be/mbx-5qulY2k

Redwolf

Apparently the bigger patch is not today, they meant "the week of Dec 9". No release notes yet either.