Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020/2024

Started by Redwolf, December 15, 2023, 05:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Redwolf

Patch is out. You have to manually re-enable all the planes that already came over from 2020. Did that, didn't get much flying in yet.

The list of patches is long, but I am not affected by most since I don't do the career sub-game yet and mostly fly third-party planes:

https://www.flightsimulator.com/release-notes-1-2-7-0-available-now-msfs-2024/

JudgeDredd

Well - I'm no longer sitting outside that crappy wee aircraft I was handed when I passed my certification and my business.

Rudders wok again - but brakes do not - even though the configuration tool recognises the pedals as I assign them.  :hair:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Father Ted

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 13, 2024, 02:56:51 AMRudders wok again - but brakes do not - even though the configuration tool recognises the pedals as I assign them.  :hair:

So I fired up MSFS 2020 the other day and couldn't taxi straight.  Checked what the rudder was doing and could see that it was randomly flicking about.  It dawned on me that this behaviour was the result of my malfunctioning toe-brakes (spiky pots that I'm unable to cure) on my CH pedals, and that MSFS had mapped the wrong axis of my pedals to the rudder.  Might be worth a check.

JudgeDredd

So I think I discovered something that's been driving me nuts but, now I know about it, I can avoid.

I think the default aircraft Flight Design CTSL Asobo is broken. First, that's the aircraft where when I do a view from outside, the pilot is sitting outside the aircraft.

The next thing - much more annoying, is the brakes.For such a long time, I couldn't work out why the brakes weren't working for me after I did my Private Pilot Licence. They worked fine, then I started my career with my PPL and the brakes didn't work. It seems they just will not work on this aircraft (which was the aircraft I was given in my career).

I managed to change the default aircraft (easy enough) from the Asobo to the Cessna and boom...brakes worked again. I then tried the Asobo again and again, they did not work. Not only that...I was watching the pedals as I pressed them. The left one seemed to work gradually as designed although as it was fully depressed, it didn't go all the way to the top. I looked at the right pedal in the aircraft as I was pressing it and nothing happened - right up until I got it being fully depressed and then it knocked the lever fully forward (this was the "parking brake" I was watching). The pedals themselves were moving in a very odd fashion.

Jumped back into the Cessna, and everything worked again. I'll try another aircraft tonight to see if the brakes work...it could be that I set the brakes up in the Cessna and they only work in the Cessna - although I can't find anywhere that suggests the controls, as setup, won't work for other aircraft - especially as I selected the option to use them for all aircraft (some copy feature bottom left of the controls setup screen).

ANyway - I'm glad I'm back in the Cessna and able to carry on - those brakes were driving me nuts. (I'm sure they worked when I first got into that aircraft though)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Old TImer

I'm still using 2020.  24 still has a number of bugs to work out. Nothing too major....just little things that tick me off.  Plus I'm still waiting for some of the third party content to be updated.  Getting there but still a little way to go yet.

Destraex

Something you guys might know. Gps is common in flight simulators for navigation and ins for the military when gps is out.
I watched a video on boxer arty recently that seemed to indicate it was came with a "gps denied" capability. Does anybody know what this might be and if it is different to ins?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Redwolf

They now have a beta program for patches. Apparently today's beta patch is even worse than the regular game :)

Old TImer

Quote from: Redwolf on January 24, 2025, 12:24:17 PMThey now have a beta program for patches. Apparently today's beta patch is even worse than the regular game :)
That is not good news Red.  It's going in the wrong direction.  It reminds me of Cities Skylines II.
Great ideas and real pretty to look at but the fundamental elements don't work.  And it is SO
messed up that you start to wonder if they'll ever get it sorted out.

Redwolf

Quote from: Old TImer on January 24, 2025, 03:51:30 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on January 24, 2025, 12:24:17 PMThey now have a beta program for patches. Apparently today's beta patch is even worse than the regular game :)
That is not good news Red.  It's going in the wrong direction.  It reminds me of Cities Skylines II.
Great ideas and real pretty to look at but the fundamental elements don't work.  And it is SO
messed up that you start to wonder if they'll ever get it sorted out.

I mean it seems to work for some people. Just flying from A to B seems to go reasonably well. But things like career mode and other subgames are totally broken.

It just isn't good enough to replace 2020 for me, and now all the changed keystrokes create a problem for me when I switch back and forth.

Pete Dero

RTX 5090 put to the Test in MSFS2024 vs RTX 4090 :



Less difference then what one might expect.

Redwolf

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 07, 2025, 01:32:19 PMRTX 5090 put to the Test in MSFS2024 vs RTX 4090 :



Less difference then what one might expect.


Would be interesting to downclock the CPU and see whether that makes a significant difference.

Jarhead0331

I've got my eye on this module from Azurpoly. Looks like a really nice companion to the Tornado. JudgeDredd...you must be interested in this one! It is compatible with both MSFS 2020 and 2024, although the 2024 version has enhanced functionality, including working weapons!


Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

I wouldn't deny my interest was piqued...but I've never really been into military aircraft in MSFS.

But...it is a Jaguar  :twirl:

Wait...THERE'S A TORNADO TOO?  :ThumbsUp:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 17, 2025, 01:10:31 PMI wouldn't deny my interest was piqued...but I've never really been into military aircraft in MSFS.

But...it is a Jaguar  :twirl:

Wait...THERE'S A TORNADO TOO?  :ThumbsUp:

Dude...the Tornado is AWESOME.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

aaaaaaaw balls.

Thanks for nothing JH  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people