God Rest Ye FRIDAY Groggy Men!

Started by JasonPratt, December 27, 2024, 08:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

God Rest Ye Merry Groggy Men! Recoup from holidays!

Have a cute girl, cute kittens, and Apaches lighting up tangos!


(I helped Mom discover the TSO this year and she adores it.)

I've been mostly doing asynch multiplayer on the 18xx.games site (after a yearlong break), plus several games on Rally the Troops, but on a more actual computer game I've finally after many years gotten into the first Creeper World game, which I picked up with several of its sequels (not the most recent) in the Steam winter sale. Trying not to spend much on games anymore, though to be honest I put in about $200 this season BUT I HAVE A GOOD REASON! .... ...

...well, a good excuse anyway. My 4-year-old grandcousin (for want of a better term, son of a cousin) has just gotten old enough to use a controller and wants to play co-op games with me, for which we'll need split-screen games a while. So I shopped a bunch of those on sale.

"You spent $200ish on split-screen co-op games on sale?"

No of course not, only about $140ish, uh, SHUT UP THAT SIDE OF MY BRAIN!

Amusingly, the main thing he wants to play right now (and rightly so) is WH40K Kill Team on my PS3 which I've had for like 15 years now. Worth noting, I already have quite a few split-screen games for that rig. Which I could have perhaps remembered before spending SHUT UP!  :HideEyes:


Oh, for those who don't know, Creeper World is a low-tech RTS expansion tower defense game (although the series tends to go back and forth between I think three design variants by now. The first game especially has simple rules: set up a network of power collectors and a few weapon types to push back (or if possible even eliminate by spawn-camping) a creeping blue lethal liquid on each map, activate a few warp totems, and evacuate your floating city. This trailer doesn't quite do the game justice, but there aren't any good reviews out for the first game.


Don't ask why your ark-city, which IS CAPABLE OF FLOATING AND MOVEMENT would ever be in serious danger from this fluid.  :evil: (To be fair, in later levels the Creeper does shoot arial spores. Also the city needs to activate the warp gates which are on the ground and typically covered by Creeper.)


This on the other hand is 40K Kill Team (which as a computer game is actually a prequel in story to the "Space Marine" shooter duology.)


Alas, it's hard to find nowadays, and the PC version basically doesn't run on modern systems. The miniature game is evidently VERY popular though, so hopefully the twin-stick-shooter game design will return.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

BoC work.  Fight Club work.  Learning "Armored Brigade 2" as part of the Fight Club work.  Preping/Sending out the updated CMO database and image files to Matrix games for publication.  Maybe some Warplan for fun?  In any case, Happy New Year to y'all!
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

DesertFox

I've become obsessed with a game I found on the Steam sale called Wartales.  It's kind of a cross between Battle Brothers, Fire Emblem, and Mount & Blade...  You explore around the map with your band of soldiers and recruit, fight, loot, upgrade, quest, etc.  I had never even heard of it before I bought it but it has rapidly become one of my favorite current games.

On the wargame front, I am still learning and loving Armored Brigade 2, and have been thinking about taking another stab at Shadow Empires this weekend.
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

Pete Dero

Still busy with Age of Wonders 4.

Enjoy the last days of 2024 !

bobarossa

Quote from: DesertFox on December 27, 2024, 01:13:42 PMI've become obsessed with a game I found on the Steam sale called Wartales. 
Every time I read the name of that game, my brain says "Wart ales"! :beermug[1]:

I've been in a rotating trifecta of Hex of Steel, Shadow Empires, and Civ 5 for most of the year.  Decided to revisit DC: Barbarossa with the annoying decisions turned off.  Having fun as well as screwing up badly so far.  One of these days I should try the Soviet side as Stalin's paranoia makes it a completely different game.

JasonPratt

#5
Stalin's paranoia can be managed, it isn't too bad (as I know from experience). What makes it a very different game, aside from the lack of events (in the way the Nazis have them), are the factors the Soviets have to recover from while being curbstomped. You start waaaaayyy out of defensive position, locked into what amounts to blitz mode for a while, your communications are all messed up (possibly made worse by a Nazi player pregame choice) so your activations are a crapshoot (a crappy crapshoot); your Second Echelon reinforcements drop off in the middle of nowhere (though you've got a lot more control about that than historically, so you can set up defensive walls if you're canny about it -- you won't have your HQ landing over here, and your ammo over there, and your armor over yonder with their fuel and crews scattered from hell to breakfast); your Third Echelon reinforcements are like soggy toast...

You are meant to lose, and lose badly. How badly is what you manage. Better than historical is a win by proportion to how better.

On the other hand, unity of command is far superior to the Nazis (in the sense of internal politics); you can (as a result) shift your forces from front to front with impunity (once they're on the ground); and you can make better use of the goat tracks which serve as the Soviet internal road network without relying so much on rails (which you don't need to convert) and the few actual roads. If Stalin hadn't blown up the Stalin line starting two years ago, you'd be in high cotton figuratively speaking! {g}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Redwolf

Still trying to like MSFS2024 but failing. Bugs the heck out of me that they changed all the hotkeys, now I can't go back and forth with 2020.

Some Combat Mission Battle for Normandy and some CMO.

Anguille

Going to play a little these days

Galciv 3
Rome tw 2
Lord of Rigel

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Anguille on December 27, 2024, 04:16:46 PMGoing to play a little these days

Galciv 3
Rome tw 2
Lord of Rigel

What are your feelings on Lord of Rigel? Worth playing?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Redwolf

Are we talking about Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts here?

JasonPratt

^ ....not yet? I think the current thread talking about that is here:Is Game Labs Studio dead?

SDR just reported there, that the avowedly "final patch" for UA:Dread was released today.  :cry:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Naval Action whilst other Chrissy responsibilities bear out. I don't get time off at Chrissy anymore.
Trade Runs in naval action can be done AFK a lot of the time which helps.

We are not supposed to be spending in order to stop spiral inflation here, but it seems that anybody or company with disposable income is splashing out like crazy. I guess it's YOLO time. There seems to be zero chance of getting people to act like a nation anymore, if their ever was.







"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 27, 2024, 04:32:57 PM
Quote from: Anguille on December 27, 2024, 04:16:46 PMGoing to play a little these days

Galciv 3
Rome tw 2
Lord of Rigel

What are your feelings on Lord of Rigel? Worth playing?
I haven't played much yet and they keep working/improving it. Can tell you once i am further in my game. I know i didn't like the combat system too much but haven't seen yet if it's better now.