Been using Lossless Scaling for a few months

Started by WallysWorld, March 01, 2025, 10:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WallysWorld

I hope this doesn't sound like an infomercial, but for those with older machines, I've found that the application Lossless Scaling found on Steam works wonders for frame rates. I have an i9-9900K with 3080 Ti with a 1440p 144Hz monitor with G-Sync. My older system can run almost all games pretty well, but sometimes I wish it would run games better.

So I decided to try out Lossless Scaling which is an application that basically does frame generation like DLSS and FSR and also does image scaling. It runs outside of the game and uses your GPU to generate the extra frames. I haven't really noticed any increased GPU usage myself with LS, but then again I locked my FPS down to a lower level when using LS.

The games I use LS on a regular basis so far:
Total War games: lock FPS to 45 or 50 and then use LS to double or triple the FPS.
ETS and ATS: lock FPS to 30 and then use LS to double it to 60 which is great for TrackIR.
Train Simulator: Same as ETS and ATS2.
Paradox games: lock FPS from 50 to 70 and then use LS to double it.
Cities Skylines: locks FPS to between 30 to 45 and then use LS to double the FPS.
Combat Mission: so far the only game that LS works is CMA which it doubles my locked FPS from 30 to 60. LS won't work on the other CMx2 games because they cannot run in windowed mode or at least I found out.
Steel Fury: lock fps to 60 and then LS doubles it.

I've tried LS on IL2:GB and Rise of Flight and it works well, but my system can already run both at 60 FPS for TrackIR so I don't plan to use LS on these games that often.

Anyway I'm very happy with LS and it's gotten me thinking again about upgrading my system and especially my GPU. At least it's delayed my upgrade until at least the fall. For the price of LS, it has done a great job for the above games. There are probably others that LS also works on, but I haven't tried yet.

There are conditions for LS though:
1) The game must be run in windowed mode which includes borderless. LS does not work well with full screen if at all.
2) The higher the frame generation (X2, X3, X4...) the more you might noticed anomalies appearing. At X2, I don't notice anything myself. At X3, I can notice some weirdness if I really want to look for them. At X4 and above, the anomalies start to get noticeable.

Anyway here is the link on Steam: Lossless Scaling

You can read the reviews and even watch some Youtube videos about it. I have no regrets buying it for sure.

Below is my current configuration for LS so far. The application has a keyboard shortcut which you can turn LS on or off in real time while in the game (I've set up a macro key to handle that). There was some trial and error, but it was a pretty simple process.





"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Destraex

I had heard of this. I heard people were using this app as a replacement for a feature available on the new 5 series of cards.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skoop

I have it.  I came across it from msfs2020 streamers.  Msfs is so taxing guys are always looking for ways to squeak out more fps, and ls scaling was one of them.  I've even seen guys use this along with free mods to make msfs run like butter on max settings.  I should try it in dcs, but I just didn't feel the need as my system runs dcs fine.  I'd agree, this is a great way to prolong the life of your 3000 series video card.  Nvidia wants to sell you on running out and buying a 4000 series or 5000 series card for 3 grand just to run dlss.  In reality, older rtx cards can use the tech as well just has to be modded with apps.