WEGO World War II: Stalingrad - why isn't this one steam?

Started by Destraex, March 13, 2025, 03:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Destraex

I am keen to buy this game if it ever comes to steam. But it has been years and I still cannot see it on steam.
If I get it from the Matrix store, I just know I won't touch it. Much like war in the pacific which I own.
Anybody have any clue why their has been no steam launch?

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/wego-world-war-ii-stalingrad
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

joram

Yeah, I vaguely remember this one coming out.  I'd be interested too.  Wonder if it's a licensing issue.

Jarhead0331

I've reached out to Matrix/Slitherine for comment. Stay tuned.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18



Redwolf

Looks interesting.

I'm in the opposite camp, I require a non-steam version if I can have it.

Sigwolf

I've had this one, and the companion Desert War, on my Matrix wishlist for a while hoping for a Steam release.  Maybe someday.

CaptainKoloth

There is a relatively large percentage of the Matrix library that never comes to Steam. It seems to be based on their perception of whether it will have a larger market- if they deem it more of a niche game, it stays on Matrix, maybe (I speculate) on the assumption that the diehard fans will buy it no matter where it is and that way they don't have to give Steam the 30% revenue cut. Good example of this: Gary Grigsby's War in the East and War in the West (all this Grigsby guy does is start wars) are both on Steam and have been from their launch as far as I know, whereas his War in the Pacific, which was developed contemporaneously and is definitely much more of a niche title due to its complexity, never has been.

Sigwolf

Since Matrix also gives you the Steam key when you purchase direct, I try to make the purchase on Matrix, so I have it in both locations.  They don't have to worry about the 30% Steam cut from me, I just want it on my most used game launcher, complete with auto-updates.   :tophat:

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Sigwolf on March 13, 2025, 03:31:43 PMSince Matrix also gives you the Steam key when you purchase direct, I try to make the purchase on Matrix, so I have it in both locations.  They don't have to worry about the 30% Steam cut from me, I just want it on my most used game launcher, complete with auto-updates.   :tophat:

Well you know that, but Matrix doesn't know that  :laugh:

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 13, 2025, 07:54:05 AMI've reached out to Matrix/Slitherine for comment. Stay tuned.

Thanks Jarhead. If the matrix store gave purchasers a steam key i'd be there.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on March 13, 2025, 10:33:37 AMThere is a relatively large percentage of the Matrix library that never comes to Steam. It seems to be based on their perception of whether it will have a larger market- if they deem it more of a niche game, it stays on Matrix, maybe (I speculate) on the assumption that the diehard fans will buy it no matter where it is and that way they don't have to give Steam the 30% revenue cut. Good example of this: Gary Grigsby's War in the East and War in the West (all this Grigsby guy does is start wars) are both on Steam and have been from their launch as far as I know, whereas his War in the Pacific, which was developed contemporaneously and is definitely much more of a niche title due to its complexity, never has been.

On the one hand it's good to have alternatives to steam and it's good that matrix get more money off direct purchases. On the other hand you would think getting to s larger audience via steam would eventually bring more fans and more business.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Destraex on March 13, 2025, 05:46:40 PM
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on March 13, 2025, 10:33:37 AMThere is a relatively large percentage of the Matrix library that never comes to Steam. It seems to be based on their perception of whether it will have a larger market- if they deem it more of a niche game, it stays on Matrix, maybe (I speculate) on the assumption that the diehard fans will buy it no matter where it is and that way they don't have to give Steam the 30% revenue cut. Good example of this: Gary Grigsby's War in the East and War in the West (all this Grigsby guy does is start wars) are both on Steam and have been from their launch as far as I know, whereas his War in the Pacific, which was developed contemporaneously and is definitely much more of a niche title due to its complexity, never has been.

On the one hand it's good to have alternatives to steam and it's good that matrix get more money off direct purchases. On the other hand you would think getting to s larger audience via steam would eventually bring more fans and more business.

I will invoke one of the forbidden evil demons here: this is a lesson that the owners of Stormpowered Games never learned.

Destraex

Yeah. I still wish SES Jutland and the other one in the series were on steam to this day. I'd play it more for sure.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Redwolf

Quote from: Destraex on March 14, 2025, 08:14:36 AMYeah. I still wish SES Jutland and the other one in the series were on steam to this day. I'd play it more for sure.

Ohhh. Distant Guns. I still have the book that Norm recommended. Never bought the game.

What a shame that they picked a DRM fight on that scale. What was the name of Norm's obnoxious sidekick? Jim Rose?