Assassins Creed Shadows

Started by Jarhead0331, May 15, 2024, 09:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Destraex

I was always kinda interested in Assassins Creed but never got around to playing them other than a demo way back in the day. I am not the sneaky spie type that acts outside of a group like a secret agent. But I am interested in a lot of the settings the games portray. Fuedal Japan sounds amazing.
However like Jarhead if I play a game like this is will be KCD2, primarily because it sticks much more rigidly to history and life as we knew it was back in its setting.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

I love KCD2 and all, but let's not pretend that's "rigidly" historically accurate.  You can brew healing potions and night vision potions.  Also, it lets gamers live out the fantasy of being able to talk to a woman  :buck2:
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Destraex

Quote from: al_infierno on March 21, 2025, 11:45:23 PMI love KCD2 and all, but let's not pretend that's "rigidly" historically accurate.  You can brew healing potions and night vision potions.  Also, it lets gamers live out the fantasy of being able to talk to a woman  :buck2:
Potions are a necessary game mechanic. I am talking about as far as they can be historical they generally do not depart from doing so. As for talking to an in game woman, I'd rather get on with the meat of the story. To me those parts are superfluous.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

#33
Quote from: Destraex on March 22, 2025, 04:12:38 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on March 21, 2025, 11:45:23 PMI love KCD2 and all, but let's not pretend that's "rigidly" historically accurate.  You can brew healing potions and night vision potions.  Also, it lets gamers live out the fantasy of being able to talk to a woman  :buck2:
As for talking to an in game woman, I'd rather get on with the meat of the story. To me those parts are superfluous.

Well, you would most likely hate AC Shadows...at least the first few hours. It forces you to interact with a lot of superfluous people and engage in a lot of pointless tasks. They introduce some of the game mechanics and try to develop the characters this way, but they do it in a very inefficient and mundane way.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


al_infierno

Quote from: Destraex on March 22, 2025, 04:12:38 AMPotions are a necessary game mechanic. I am talking about as far as they can be historical they generally do not depart from doing so.

Not really. There's plenty of realistic and historically accurate ways to get around the use of blatantly unrealistic magic potions. Like the bandage and rest system the game already has.

By all means, draw a line in the sand wherever you like, but let's not pretend "rigid historical accuracy" has anything to do with it  :tongue:
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Destraex

Quote from: al_infierno on March 22, 2025, 12:47:42 PM
Quote from: Destraex on March 22, 2025, 04:12:38 AMPotions are a necessary game mechanic. I am talking about as far as they can be historical they generally do not depart from doing so.

Not really. There's plenty of realistic and historically accurate ways to get around the use of blatantly unrealistic magic potions. Like the bandage and rest system the game already has.

By all means, draw a line in the sand wherever you like, but let's not pretend "rigid historical accuracy" has anything to do with it  :tongue:

Originally I said "more rigid" by which I meant in relative comparison to Assassins Creed.

As for potions. I think if we look into it, we will find that locals and perhaps herbalists of medieval and dark age history did use them. Whether they worked or not would not have been scientific as it is today, but that's the point. It's historic medicine. I would bet the devs did look into that and even have the history of each herb written up in game.

No matter what you use... mechanics like saved games did not have a facsimile in medieval history/reality. Some things need to be linked to the current world or the game would take your entire life to play. I think that the kcd devs did a good job "where they could" of making the experience as real as they could.

Did you ever read a Bernard Cornwell dark age or medieval novel? He does a good job of looking at things from the perspective of a person from that age. Susperstition, potions and all. They believed things that we do not and could have even enjoyed placebo effects.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

Quote from: Destraex on March 22, 2025, 11:05:47 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on March 22, 2025, 12:47:42 PM
Quote from: Destraex on March 22, 2025, 04:12:38 AMPotions are a necessary game mechanic. I am talking about as far as they can be historical they generally do not depart from doing so.

Not really. There's plenty of realistic and historically accurate ways to get around the use of blatantly unrealistic magic potions. Like the bandage and rest system the game already has.

By all means, draw a line in the sand wherever you like, but let's not pretend "rigid historical accuracy" has anything to do with it  :tongue:

Originally I said "more rigid" by which I meant in relative comparison to Assassins Creed.

As for potions. I think if we look into it, we will find that locals and perhaps herbalists of medieval and dark age history did use them. Whether they worked or not would not have been scientific as it is today, but that's the point. It's historic medicine. I would bet the devs did look into that and even have the history of each herb written up in game.

No matter what you use... mechanics like saved games did not have a facsimile in medieval history/reality. Some things need to be linked to the current world or the game would take your entire life to play. I think that the kcd devs did a good job "where they could" of making the experience as real as they could.

Did you ever read a Bernard Cornwell dark age or medieval novel? He does a good job of looking at things from the perspective of a person from that age. Susperstition, potions and all. They believed things that we do not and could have even enjoyed placebo effects.

So, what part of Assassin's Creed Shadows crosses this line, which superstitious beliefs being true does not cross?
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Destraex

#37
Quote from: al_infierno on March 22, 2025, 11:24:44 PM
Quote from: Destraex on March 22, 2025, 11:05:47 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on March 22, 2025, 12:47:42 PM
Quote from: Destraex on March 22, 2025, 04:12:38 AMPotions are a necessary game mechanic. I am talking about as far as they can be historical they generally do not depart from doing so.

Not really. There's plenty of realistic and historically accurate ways to get around the use of blatantly unrealistic magic potions. Like the bandage and rest system the game already has.

By all means, draw a line in the sand wherever you like, but let's not pretend "rigid historical accuracy" has anything to do with it  :tongue:

Originally I said "more rigid" by which I meant in relative comparison to Assassins Creed.

As for potions. I think if we look into it, we will find that locals and perhaps herbalists of medieval and dark age history did use them. Whether they worked or not would not have been scientific as it is today, but that's the point. It's historic medicine. I would bet the devs did look into that and even have the history of each herb written up in game.

No matter what you use... mechanics like saved games did not have a facsimile in medieval history/reality. Some things need to be linked to the current world or the game would take your entire life to play. I think that the kcd devs did a good job "where they could" of making the experience as real as they could.

Did you ever read a Bernard Cornwell dark age or medieval novel? He does a good job of looking at things from the perspective of a person from that age. Susperstition, potions and all. They believed things that we do not and could have even enjoyed placebo effects.

So, what part of Assassin's Creed Shadows crosses this line, which superstitious beliefs being true does not cross?

I just remember that when I tried the original way back in the day and watched videos of the various other games in the series being less than what KCD has done. I have not played much Assassins Creed for this reason.

I'd be surprised if you told me you thought Assassin's Creed games did a better job in all aspects in this regard than KCD.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

Well, it's kind of apples and oranges because Assassin's Creed is a sci fi series that involves time travel mind displacement nonsense and a main character with superpowers, whereas KCD is more like historical fiction. Authentic, but probably not super accurate.

I think I might've been talking past you a bit, but we seem to be in agreement here. I got hung up on your use of the word "rigid" when I really don't see KCD2 as being all that rigidly realistic or historically accurate.  Authentic, for sure, but not rigidly accurate. But yeah, if you're talking about basic gameplay mechanics, KCD definitely feels more like an authentic time period simulator than Assassin's Creed.   :peace:
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.