RawDog Airlines Simulator

Started by Toonces, July 15, 2025, 08:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

https://www.rawdogsimulator.com/

Ok, so what the F, right?  What is rawdog?  I mean, we know, but within the contest of flight?

""Rawdogging a flight" is a social media trend where people spend a flight with minimal or no in-flight entertainment or comforts, often focusing on the flight map and their own thoughts. It involves minimal engagement with the usual amenities of air travel, such as movies, music, books, or even snacks and drinks. "

So, the premise is, if you look deeper, a person who gets on a plane for however long, and choose no entertainment or anything at all, just looks at the back of the seat for the duration of the flight.  Period.  You can read a lot about it, and choose if this is some bro tik-tok bs or some transendental meditation 21st century bullshit, or something in between.

Anyway, I tried it, being retired and all, but my computer's camera didn't latch on.  I can tell you that the first 2 minutes were every air travelers nightmare!  I can't imagine I'd do this for more than 3 minutes, but maybe I don't know.  Maybe it's super cathartic?

This under a paywall, but sometimes you get a freebie:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2024/08/rawdogging-flights-meme/679615/

And, some quotes:
t was time to buckle up and face the void. I was going to "rawdog" this flight, a new trend in extreme air travel. Rawdoggers, according to the dubious lore of social-media virality, overcome the longest of long-haul flights (New York to Hong Kong, say, or London to Sydney) by means of nihilism. They claim to spend the entire journey, perhaps as many as 18 hours, doing nothing other than staring at the flight map on the seat-back screen—no movies, no books, and, for the rawdoggiest, not even any meals.
.....


Alas, every time one feels that one has overcome something, another, seemingly purer way to conquer it materializes. After abandoning my own, modest attempt at rawdogging my flight by pulling out my laptop, I found an even purer version: Rawdog Simulator, a rawdog flight-sim video game. After buying a virtual ticket from New York to Singapore, I piloted my rawdog avatar down the jet bridge and took my virtual seat for the 18-hour, 40-minute flight to nowhere. The software uses a laptop camera for eye tracking, to ensure that players gape into the virtual flight path, or else it's game over.

Staring down the pretend map on the seat of the pretend plane from the real seat of my real plane, a familiar, sickening taste rose up my throat: ironic detachment, the unadulterated flavor of purity's momentary success. The joke's on you, meatspace rawdoggers, actually flying to Singapore like twits. I was rawdogging rawdogging itself.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"