Stingers for the Syrian Rebels

Started by eyebiter, November 07, 2012, 04:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

eyebiter


LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

I hope they're smart enough not to do that.... there is always someone who is going to figure out how to hack the system. And if the past is any indication, rebels have short memories about who helped them looking at Libya, Afghanistan, etc.... Enough NATO troops have died helping in the cause of freedom....now it's time for them to help themselves.

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on November 07, 2012, 06:25:09 AM
I hope they're smart enough not to do that.... there is always someone who is going to figure out how to hack the system. And if the past is any indication, rebels have short memories about who helped them looking at Libya, Afghanistan, etc.... Enough NATO troops have died helping in the cause of freedom....now it's time for them to help themselves.

It's my understanding that there are no "good guys" in Syria from our perspective. The best we can do is ship them guns and let them kill themselves for the betterment of all.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

A bit of housekeeping - I've moved this to Current Events instead of Politics.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Silent Disapproval Robot

So the idea is to arm Al Qaeda with stingers?  I'm sure the Turks will really appreciate that.

Centurion40

Like Migsy said, this is a no-win situation.  Best to stay out of it.

I'd be delighted if a moderate, democratic Syrian (and Lebanese, etc.) state emerged from the civil war.  But, IMHO, that isn't going to happen in my lifetime.  There is no horse to bet on.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Martok

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 07, 2012, 11:56:44 AM
So the idea is to arm Al Qaeda with stingers?  I'm sure the Turks will really appreciate that.
Not just Al-Qaeda.  Hezbollah too...  ::) 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess that from a realpolitik standpoint, if the US is trying to follow the British Imperial model, it might be desirable for them to keep the region unstable, but I still don't like it.

Also, why are we suddenly so concerned with the plight of the Syrian people yet not one word is said about what's going on with the populist revolt against the autocrat in Bahrain?


Martok

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 07, 2012, 01:34:08 PM
Also, why are we suddenly so concerned with the plight of the Syrian people yet not one word is said about what's going on with the populist revolt against the autocrat in Bahrain?
Because we don't have the Sixth Fleet headquartered out of Latakia. 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

Probably because Bahrain is friendly towards us.  Democracy could usher-in a theocracy which could be unfriendly towards us.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Martok on November 07, 2012, 02:15:36 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 07, 2012, 01:34:08 PM
Also, why are we suddenly so concerned with the plight of the Syrian people yet not one word is said about what's going on with the populist revolt against the autocrat in Bahrain?
Because we don't have the Sixth Fleet headquartered out of Latakia.

As romantic as 40Cent's theory is, I'm going with Martok.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

Well 40Cent's statement is correct, as far as it goes.  It is *a* reason; I'm just pretty sure the *main* reason is because the Fifth is based there. 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah, I know.  I just get bothered by the hypocrisy.  Every time I see that cow Hillary or that public school dickhead stridently pound their chests and decry the evil regime, i just want to slap the smug off their faces.