Breaking: Petraeus Resigns

Started by LongBlade, November 09, 2012, 03:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

Just flashed on Fox:

Quote

CIA Director David Petraeus on Friday submitted his letter of resignation to President Obama.

The move was announced in a statement by Director of National Intelligence James Clapper.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/09/petraeus-resigns-as-cia-director

Apparently an extra-marital affair.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Personally, I don't equate an extra-marital affair with job incompetence.  Unless the Director of the CIA had been caught in a Honey Trap, I don't think that it rates resignation.  Unless it is a convenient excuse.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bayonetbrant

I'm sure someone's going to try to tie this to the delusional fantasy that everyone wanted to go into Benghazi with guns blazing, but was told to sit down and shut up by the Prez.  There are no legs to that story, but it'll keep circulating...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on November 09, 2012, 03:28:11 PM
Personally, I don't equate an extra-marital affair with job incompetence. 

It's not equivalent to incompetence.

However, it opens up a problem with OPSEC. Having an affair is a substantial secret - one that opens you potentially to blackmail. It's my understanding that no one serving in the military is allowed to have an affair and I would expect a similar restriction in the intel agencies. It is certainly not acceptable for the man leading the CIA to have such an affair if indeed it is prohibited, and it's a poor example even if it is tolerated.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 09, 2012, 03:37:32 PM
I'm sure someone's going to try to tie this to the delusional fantasy that everyone wanted to go into Benghazi with guns blazing, but was told to sit down and shut up by the Prez.  There are no legs to that story, but it'll keep circulating...

Put me under that delusional fantasy crowd. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the headline. Clearly I was wrong.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

steve58

#6
Well, it is interesting that he was slated to testify next week, but now with his resignation "effective immediately", he won't be?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/11/09/CIA-Director-Petraeus-Resigns

I imagine the Republicans won't just let him fall on his sword and fade away...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on November 09, 2012, 04:01:27 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on November 09, 2012, 03:28:11 PM
Personally, I don't equate an extra-marital affair with job incompetence. 

It's not equivalent to incompetence.

However, it opens up a problem with OPSEC. Having an affair is a substantial secret - one that opens you potentially to blackmail. It's my understanding that no one serving in the military is allowed to have an affair and I would expect a similar restriction in the intel agencies. It is certainly not acceptable for the man leading the CIA to have such an affair if indeed it is prohibited, and it's a poor example even if it is tolerated.


Never thought of that before. Makes sense.


Its sad someone so capable would put themselves out of service.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on November 09, 2012, 04:55:27 PM

Never thought of that before. Makes sense.

In fairness, I wouldn't have thought of it either. A buddy of mine in the military made that case to me when the Lewinsky scandal broke. At the time I was a big Clinton fan. We can argue whether a president should be held to the same standard as the military - or not. But the reasoning behind the policy seems sound.

"Seems" being the operative word. Some days I wonder if, in our quest for zero mistakes, we don't sacrifice a great many highly competent people in the process. As they say, no risk no reward.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

besilarius

A lot of recent removals of ship captains in the USN has not been for incompetency, but for zipper control.
Part of this is due to the pressure a captain can use to get a young, inexperienced person to share sexual favors.
It is also long standing rules, from the days of Sail.  Sailors on long voyages have always been randy, a girl in every port.  But officers were held to a higher standard.
They were considered ambassadors of their country, and held accountable for all lapses.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Gotta love the Daily Caller's headline about this: "Double Agent."

They sure have a way with words :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

In a strange coincidence I ran across an article a couple of days ago that mentioned a general who was fired for sexual harassment. At the time the article didn't mention a name. When the Petraeus story broke I thought it might be him, but looking back I found an article which clarifies it definitely was not.

Weird. Two similar stories (sorta) break withing a couple of days of each other.

QuoteU.S. Army prosecutors unveiled a laundry list of charges Monday against a one-star general they say sexually abused women who worked under him.

Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Allen Sinclair, 50, was accused of brazen harassment of four women since 2008, including forcing them to send sexually explicit photos of themselves to him and in one case using his Army rank to compel a sexual relationship be continued, prosecutors said.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/11/05/Army-general-charged-with-sex-abuse/UPI-42421352142792/

I'm afraid it's another case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should."

And also probably someone who thinks the rules seem to apply to everyone but them.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

maybe hes using the one story as cover so he can 'retire', fade away and take command of GI Joe.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


LongBlade

I'm trying to figure out what the headline would be if he had had two girlfriends.

Would it be a "triple agent" or would he be a "double, double agent"?  8)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on November 09, 2012, 07:23:40 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the headline would be if he had had two girlfriends.

Would it be a "triple agent" or would he be a "double, double agent"?  8)

Not sure. However, now he is a Free Agent.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys