Main Menu

Mechwarrior Online

Started by Martok, March 10, 2012, 12:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Yskonyn

I am living in the Netherlands. Smack in the middle of it, so if you aren't living close to the dutch border in Germany or in Belgium I can't see us meeting for a BT game, but it would have been an excellent idea! :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

republic

Unfortunately I've never known any Mechwarrior or Battletech other than the video game.  :(

I've tried to get friends into boardgaming, with no success.  I always intend to save up and go to Origins...but end up backing out.

MetalDog

I played some Battletech with our D&D group back in the 80's.  Always loved the concept and the history.  Now, to hear that it will start off without the MW history behind it, I am disappointed.  Would love to get on and play if it meant something, but, if there is nothing to be gained from playing except a victory, I will pass.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 05, 2012, 01:41:28 PM

I've said it over at WG as well, but it seems like many original promises about making a true to canon MW game are being dropped or otherwise on hold more and more.
At this point its just a shooter, which happens to feature Mechs. And arena based matches don't particularly interest me.
I, too, was looking foward to the whole galactic warfare aspect. More in the spirit of the Battletech tabletop wargame.
It currently holds little interest for me, eventhough I am a huge fan of the tabletop game and the BT universe.

For the groggier types among us, the turn-based strategy MechWarrior Tactics will probably be the preferred Battletech fix.  http://mwtactics.com/

My biggest concern is that MWTactics is just a browser-based game, giving limited functionality and hi-res fluff.  :-[  But it's a WEGO tactical system so it's gonna be a hit, I'm sure.

Martok

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 05, 2012, 04:17:45 PM
I am living in the Netherlands. Smack in the middle of it, so if you aren't living close to the dutch border in Germany or in Belgium I can't see us meeting for a BT game, but it would have been an excellent idea! :D
Yeah, I live in Minnesota, so I'm more than a little ways away from you.  :P  Ah well! 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

republic

I'm still plugging along.  I've got a Centurion C9N-A with a Gauss Rifle and 3 Streak SRMs.  Makes for some fun fights.  :)

GDS_Starfury

there have been to many copyright problems with BT for it to ever get back to being the original game.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


LongBlade

Quote from: republic on November 05, 2012, 07:25:22 PM
Unfortunately I've never known any Mechwarrior or Battletech other than the video game.  :(

I've tried to get friends into boardgaming, with no success.  I always intend to save up and go to Origins...but end up backing out.

A couple of guys broke out a Mechwarrior pen & paper game a week ago Friday at my LGS. I knew it wasn't played much, but didn't think it was impossible to find a game. Sorry to hear that.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

eyebiter

Have you tried MegaMek?  Decent freeware conversion of the Classic Battletech rule system.  Includes multiplayer over the internet.

http://megamek.info/downloads

Yskonyn

MegaMek is nice. And it is more than a decent 'electronification' of the BT game system.
It only takes a LOT of time to play a session of MegaMek, which is usually what keeps me from using it.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

#85
I've revisited MWO this weekend.  After messing with MWT, I decided to also get some Mech shooter action in, too.

It's good to see they're adding new mechs and, most importantly, continuing to add control scheme options.  The latter has improved my experience this afternoon.  For instance, there's an option to have the Throttle 'degrade' so that you must constantly use W & S to keep moving in that direction, instead of having a throttle setting that you must jockey back & forth.  Another is being able to lock your arm mounted weapon gunsight to the torso mounted one so that they're aiming at the same point (the + and o sights).  I left this off, but you can manually set a hotkey to toggle between the two while in a match.

I hope work on the galactic warfare layer is progressing.  That's what this really needs so that you don't feel like a gerbil on the wheel with no purpose other than to grind to the next priciest piece of shiny. 




Martok

Quote from: Nefaro on June 01, 2013, 07:47:30 PM
I hope work on the galactic warfare layer is progressing.  That's what this really needs so that you don't feel like a gerbil on the wheel with no purpose other than to grind to the next priciest piece of shiny.
This is pretty much what I'm waiting for as well.  Otherwise MWO matches are just going to be shoot-em-ups with no purpose -- not that they can't be fun in their own right, but it's not for me. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jomni

MW Tactics looks pretty much like the original hexbased boardgame.

Martok

Been keeping my eye on that one as well.  I spent many happy hours playing BattleTech, and MWT looks like a decent recreation of that (albeit on the PC). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on June 01, 2013, 11:17:37 PM
MW Tactics looks pretty much like the original hexbased boardgame.

I posted a link to some MWT beta keys and a new gameplay video, in case you guys missed it.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=5883.45

That's the one I'm anticipating most, but it'll still be on simmer for a bit.